GO!

Nellie has dandruff????

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Nellie

i can never live- without tuna

Purred: Wed Mar 17, '10 7:55pm PST 
Nellie has these white flakes up and down her back, I guess its dandruff. It really gets bad on her back by her tail. This a chonric thing for her to have these white flakes. She is a healthy cat and not overweight i dont know why she has this problem. Can someone recommend something to help get rid of these white flakes?
[notify]

Angel Onyx

What\'s to eat?

Purred: Wed Mar 17, '10 9:38pm PST 
I had those. Mom gives me half-baths (lower spine and tail) with Dawn dishwashing liquid, 'cause that's where the oils collect. Blow-dry and comb. All fixed.
[notify]

Monster

It's all about- me.

Purred: Fri Mar 19, '10 3:24pm PST 
My mom had a kitty years ago (before she knew much about kitties), and she fed her a very cheap dry cat food. Kitty developed dandruff so bad that Mom freaked out. The vet said kitty needed a better quality diet. That fixed her right up.

I and my sisfurs now eat an all-natural, no corn or wheat dry food and canned food every day. Two of us have no problems, but my big, fat sister (14 pounds) has bad dandruff in spite of our good food. It's because she's fat and can't groom that area, so mom has to brush her constantly.

-Monster
[notify]

Meow in- Loving- Memory

where is my Mom?

Purred: Fri Mar 19, '10 7:56pm PST 
That is very strange concerting what food you are feeding. Usually that is dry skin and is caused by a low amount of Omega 3 fatty acid other wise known as Linoleic Acid. Though weather changes can cause that at times.
I have been feeding Nutro Max Cat Chicken for the last 21 years and have not had any problems at all. Linoleic Acid (minimum) 3.50%
That is why I asked to work part time for them.
shrug Defiantly Very strange to me. Please keep us informed as to what works to fix this.
Peace
[notify]

Mercedes

Chatterbug- Galore!

Purred: Fri Mar 19, '10 11:59pm PST 
1- Bathing about every 4-6 weeks with a kitty shampoo the absolute best cat shampoo by far is this, Les Pooches F&T Shampoo it is quite expensive but really works great. You could call around to grooming shops and see if anyone uses/sells it. It has done wonders for my cats and the cats that I groom
2- Using a "rehydrant" spray Eqyss Rehydrant Spray We have an office cat who has always had horrendous dandruff no matter what, we use this spray on her about 2-3 times a week and it's helped some.
3- Adding Salmon Oil to your diet would all help.
[notify]

Mercedes

Chatterbug- Galore!

Purred: Sat Mar 20, '10 12:00am PST 
Forgot to add...feed a high quality grain free diet (Wellness Core, Solid Gold, Innova etc)
[notify]

Monster

It's all about- me.

Purred: Fri Mar 26, '10 11:21am PST 
We eat Blue Buffalo Wilderness dry food (though sometimes Mom gets us Natural Balance), and we also get mostly Blue Buffalo or Trader Joe canned food and sometimes other brands of organic, natural, holistic, cost-a-fortune cat food. My fat sisfur Diva only has greasy fur and dandruff in that one spot above her tail where she can't reach. Mom gives her a little butt shampoo every once in a while, but it's not easy!

Monster

P.S. I love that "Huh?" emoticon!
[notify]

Matty

Rescue cats- rule!

Purred: Fri Mar 26, '10 11:35am PST 
I'm gonna agree with feeding something rich in omega 3's and 6's, typically, kitty dandruff can clear up from a switch to a good quality food. I've found also, with Matty, brushing is integral too, as she's got long hair. I personally can't attest to wet human-style baths though, Matty would probably try to gouge my eyes out if I put her in a snk or tub!
[notify]

Nellie

i can never live- without tuna

Purred: Tue Mar 30, '10 9:46pm PST 
Nellie eats wellness core dry food and some wet food she is a really fincky eater and getting her to eat wetfood is the hardest. She hates most wet food mostly grain free ones. i have started brushing her every couple days it helps little but not too much. Also brought a spray on shampoo as she dosent take to being in water to well and will scratch me all up.
[notify]

Kyah

I'm a spit-fire!

Purred: Wed Mar 31, '10 12:55pm PST 
I just got an e-mail a couple weeks ago from another Cat website I belong to and they talked about kitty dandruff and said that most times it's caused by a cat eating mostly dry food, especially a dry food with little natural oils in it. Plus lack of water (cats on mostly dry food diets are usually a little dehydrated) can add to the problem. Maybe give her a couple drops of vitamin e oil in wet food every day? Most cats love the sweet taste of the oil plus it's filled with anti-oxydants. Maybe get her to eat more wet food and less dry?
Hope that helps. Good luck.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2