GO!

Ear Mites in cats.

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Pyscho

Purred: Tue Feb 23, '10 12:10pm PST 
How do you get rid of them. Is there something at home I can use or do I have to get it at a cat related store... I have two cats now and both have them but one of them as it bad. Been cleaning there ears everyday.. Any suggestions or advice is very well thankful.
[notify]

Heidi- McFlooferson

I love everyone!

Purred: Tue Feb 23, '10 12:20pm PST 
Take them to the vet. The vet will prescribe something to get rid of the mites. While there are home remedies you can use - I think olive oil can work in a small percentage of cases - it's best to get something from your vet.
[notify]

Angel Sandy

Always an Angel

Purred: Tue Feb 23, '10 12:32pm PST 
Yeah, olive oil is good, even to just clean the ears out. But it's better to go see the vet. Might wanna keep other cats and dogs away from the infected kitty too, so they don't get mites. They may are may not get them, but better to be safe.
[notify]

Soda

Be Smart, Spay &- Neuter!

Purred: Tue Feb 23, '10 12:58pm PST 
The vet will probably give you some ear drops - it's usually very messy stuff! We alternate using Frontline with Advocate, which is like Advantage but also gets rid of and protects against ear mites as well as fleas, which Frontline doesn't do. You drop it on the back of the neck, so it's easier than administering ear drops to a wriggly cat.
Advocate might have a different name in the US (I'm in UK) but it's made by the same company who make Advantage and you have to get it from the vets.
It seems quite pricey but it also protects against certain types of worm too.
[notify]

Cleopatra- 8/4/96-7/18/- 13

Cleopatra~Queen- of de Nile

Purred: Tue Feb 23, '10 1:48pm PST 
My sister had ear mites when mom brought her home. She took her to the vet and he gave her a one time treatment for them and was able to get rid of them really quickly. I asked mom about the cost, but it was so long ago mom does not remember. She did say that it was reasonable, but that was at least 11 years ago.

I agree with the others about keeping them separate from your other pets. ear mites are miserable! Hope you feel better soon.
[notify]

Natasha

Princess Forever

Purred: Tue Feb 23, '10 3:36pm PST 
Go to the vet. It is a very reasonable treatment and smooth. You can clean the ears but those mites multiply fast. Please get the medicine from a vet.
Thanks.
[notify]

13calicos

calico, brindle,- variegation :)

Purred: Tue Feb 23, '10 3:37pm PST 
Hi! Take them to the Vet to get them checked for earmites. Suli had earmites, the drops got rid of them really quick & easy.
Gabbi supposedly had earmites, her ears had so much gunk in them; but no mites in multiple microscopic checks. Turned out her 5years with the previous owners feeding junk food gave her severe allergies. It took her a year of monthly veterinary ear-cleaning and my feeding quality food to start to clear them up. Her first 5years were not fun.
[notify]

Precious

I think I'm a- princess!

Purred: Tue Feb 23, '10 5:57pm PST 
At home treatment is just not effective. Earmites are hard to get rid of and can cause long-term damage to a cats ears. I have a rescue kitten (Precious) that had such bad earmites she will have to have treatment for ear issues for the rest of her life. The best thing I've used that my vet gives me is a product called "Revolution". It not only treats earmites, but treats fleas and worms as well. It costs around $14 for a small amount you squeeze on the back of the cats neck (just like the usual flea med like Frontline)

fyi, I wouldn't recommend trying to wipe inside your cats ears yourself because you can easily do damage to the ear by pushing the "gunk" (earmites and their poo) down farther into the ear canal. A cats ear is fragile and it's best a vet (who knows how to properly do it) cleans out the ears.

Good luck!
[notify]

Raza

Purred: Tue Feb 23, '10 9:25pm PST 
I agree with using Revolutionbig grin it worked best in our house too.
[notify]

Gracie

I'm the baby,- gotta love me!

Purred: Tue Feb 23, '10 11:14pm PST 
I agree with Precious mostly, but I will point out that if a kitty needs to have her ears cleaned, a vet can show you how to do it safely. When Gracie had ear mites, it took a couple of visits before they would show up on a glass sample, so the first time the vet sent us home with instruction on how to clean her ears, and said to keep an eye on them for a few days to see if that would help.

It didn't, and when we went back they were able to take a better sample that showed the mites. I wish they had been able to do so the first time. Untreated ear mites can lead to ear infections, and those are NOT FUN. After her mites were gone, Gracie still had super gunky ears. We went back to a different vet, and they diagnosed an infection. It took about 3 weeks of drops to clear that secondary problem up, and Gracie was not happy at all (but at least she got so used to being manhandled that you can practically give her any pills or drops and she'll put up with it rather than fight it).
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2