GO!

What do i do?

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

George

I came,sat down- and stayed.

Purred: Sun Jan 17, '10 8:39am PST 
I know that cats normally claw on stuff,furniture included.My cat George is climbing on my curtains and is putting holes in them.We are renters.So far she has clawed the paint off around the trim on our inside molding around the door and also the weatherstripping.What can i do to stop this.My husband wants George declawed as she is an inside cat.However she is almost 9 months old and is coming into her obnoxious "teenage" years and we also have Oscar who is an older cat, a former homeless cat and he is totally opposite of her.Why is this?kitty
[notify]

♥- Bella- ♥

I\'m married to- Tucker!!!

Purred: Sun Jan 17, '10 9:13am PST 
Does the kitty have a place to scratch that is hers? Scratching posts or cat furniture are important in order for kitties to do what comes naturally to them. There are three of us here and we have about 6 or 7 places where we are allowed to scratch, so we always have a place when the mood strikes. When trying to get the kittie to use the scratching posts, sometimes rubbing them with catnip helps. smile
Mommie is very against declawing. She says even though we are indoor kitties, we need to have them. (what would happen if we accidentally got out and needed them?)
[notify]

George

I came,sat down- and stayed.

Purred: Sun Jan 17, '10 11:06am PST 
Yes i have a scrathing pad and my mom has rubbed catnip on it,and still i have what mom says unauthorized scratching areas.
My mom says to declaw is just wrong.
[notify]

Boris

I'm cute and I- know how to use- that :)

Purred: Sun Jan 17, '10 11:28am PST 
George,

that tells me that you need something else that works for you. You need an upright scratching post, or even a cat tree to climb. You can find really good deals on e-bay (but make sure you buy from a reputable business... you can tell by looking at their satisfaction stats).
[notify]

Callie Mia

Mamma sez Im- sewwww Booful

Purred: Sun Jan 17, '10 1:31pm PST 
Well, you could put duct-tape on the things it scratches, like on edges of cabinets. Cat's don't like sticky things on their paws. When you catch them doing it, you could spray them with a water bottle, (we need to add vinegar, our cats love the water).
[notify]

Natasha

Princess Forever

Purred: Sun Jan 17, '10 4:47pm PST 
Give you a heads up. Cats hate the smell of citrus. Spray your curtain with a citrus smell....Your cat will not go near them. I use the smell of citrus for places that I don't want Natasha to go. Please get enough scratching posts. I have one near each couch and on the doors. You can't have enough. In England, they have outlawed removing claws. It is inhumane because it is part of the paw. It is very painful.
It is like having the tips of your fingers cut off.....Get soft claws if you must until the cat is trained. While you are out of the house, place the cat in a curtain free room until you are sure that the cat will not go near them.
[notify]

Cinnomin

Purred: Thu Feb 11, '10 6:16am PST 
My mom has gotten the water bottle out to keep handy when this happens and also trims our claws. She has learned to trim and it is very easy.
[notify]

Sophie

The Great- Imperial- Princess Sophie!

Purred: Thu Feb 11, '10 6:25am PST 
We get our claws trimmed.. .:-P

All our scratching posts are vertical ones. We just don't like scratching along the floor. Almost everybody prefers the sisal rope scratchies, too. Cardboard and phone books are ok, but I can get a really good pull on a sisal post.

My scratching post is right by "the" corner of the couch. When I start scratching on the couch, they just show it to me and tell me "get the scratchy post, Sophie!" It's SO much better than the couch anyways.

We're going to have to get a taller one, though - Blackie is too tall to use my little post. He prefers wood, too. I wonder if it's a feral cat thing?
[notify]

nemo

when is dinner?

Purred: Thu Feb 11, '10 4:06pm PST 
Nemo had issues with scratching, too. I am also a renter. I gave him every type of scratching mat, 3-foot post, and door hangings that I could find. Then my vet suggested that I needed something taller - twice his length, was the recommendation. He said it was because cats like to stretch when they scratch, and if he's not getting enough "stretch" out of the shorter posts, and floor scratchers, he will find furniture or a curtain to use instead.

Once I got the tall cat post, he stopped scratching everything else.
[notify]

HappiCat

Purred: Thu Feb 11, '10 4:19pm PST 
She is still a kitten - it takes time to train! My cats sometimes prefer vertical clawing, sometmes horizontal. All depends on their moods. They learned what they're allowed to scratch - all they need is a "scratch the kitty stuff, leave the people stuff alone". They do.
Please don't declaw - declawing mine is one of my big-time regrets. It is amputation of the nail to the knuckle; painful and unnecessary. When I worked as a Vet Tech (mid-'80s) my Vet told me to get them declawed or I would regret it. I knew nothing about cats so I did. At first I was ok with it, but as each cat got older she had trouble jumping up because there was nothing to hold on with, and she'd fall . The older she'd get the harder the fall. Not having nails also changes their balance and puts undue strain on joints not designed for such unbalance. Declawing Dallia made her a scaredy-cat. Declawing is illegal in several European countries and I think also in California.
My new cats are not declawed (not even trimmed nails), because I enjoy watching them stretch and scratch. Pixi dances | +_ on the steps - it's so funny to watch!
HappiCat is learning to contain her excitement at treattime - she tries to pull the treat in quicker (with her nails - ouch!) than I'm willing to give it to her (training!).
[notify]