GO!

Hypothyroidism in Cats?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Hope

Staring Contest- Champion

Purred: Thu Jan 7, '10 4:55pm PST 
Hi All big grin We are pretty new to the Catster scene, been on the Dogster forums for a while. Anyways, our middle cat, Hope, is having some problems. She will be 3 in July, and she is quite overweight. She honestly eats less food than Cali and Ollie, and yet she is still quite the chunky monkey. I realize that cats have different metabolisms and she may just have a particularly slow one, but I think it's more than that. She sleeps all day, too, and we just can't get weight off of her. My dog, Quincy, has hypothyroidism and I was wondering if it was possible for a cat to have it. She is just presenting so many symptoms. We asked our vet last time she was in if it was a possibility, but she just said it was really rare in cats and there was no point testing, that we just needed to stop overfeeding her. (This isn't our normal vet, and it was the only time we've seen this doctor). Over the summer she almost died from fatty liver disease, and she's doing well now. She eats dry Taste of the Wild, mixed with some Grizzly Salmon Oil, and canned Merricks. She is otherwise healthy, but her weight is effecting her well being. Is hypothyroidism a possibility? We appreciate any and all advice. I know dogs pretty well, but am not very well-versed in the kitty department, despite having 3 red face
[notify]

Gogo

Purrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Purred: Thu Jan 7, '10 5:41pm PST 
Hypothyroidism is really rare in cats but it is a possibility. With multiple cats its difficult to know exactly how much each is eating so Hope may be eating more than you think.

I'd get an another appointment with your regular vet to discuss Hope's weight and lack of energy. I don't see why they would have an issue with the thyroid test even if they do think its unlikely since there's no danger to Hope and you're willing to pay for it. If you can maybe put Hope and her food and litterbox in a bedroom on her own for a few days that will help you figure out exactly what she is eating. Most of the petfood manufactures have calorie counts on their websites or their customer support people can get the info for you. If you weigh her food and figure out how much she's eating per day and how many calories that is that will give the vet useful info. If the calories she's eating are low/normal and don't account for the weight gain they'll start looking at the alternatives like hypothyroidism or other medical causes even if they are really rare in cats.
[notify]

Miss Daisy

I'm a happy- girl!

Purred: Thu Jan 7, '10 8:19pm PST 
We found a couple of websites that could help you...
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2130&aid=218

http://www.2ndchance.info/hyperthyroid.htm

We will be purring fur you!!
[notify]

Delyte, Dark- Angel, at- Bridge

Me and my- person, together- against all

Purred: Thu Jan 7, '10 9:27pm PST 
This is Delyte. Since there is a belief that hyperthyroidism in cats is caused by the material that they use to line the cans with pull tabs there has been a lot more interest in the cat thyroid. There are certainly quite a few of us with the hyper kind, but the symptoms are different, involving ravenous appetite and weight loss. I would certainly get your cat tested for thyroid issues and other things, since weight gain and lethergy is no way to spend your life. It's worth getting a second opinion from another vet. I hope you find out what is wrong. Purrs!
[notify]

Hope

Purred: Fri Jan 8, '10 4:47am PST 
Thanks for the responses, everyone. We'll look into hypothyroidism. We have to take puppies in this week for shots, maybe we can add her in while we're there. Their kibble is on the table I sit at with the computer (it has to be higher up or the dogs will get it) so I pretty much moniter their eating all day. She gets less canned food at night than the others, and eats less kibble in the day. I'll look into getting a scale that I could test and see exactly how much she's eating in a sitting... Oh well, we'll see what happens. Thanks for the advice. We appreciate it!
[notify]

Gogo

Purrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Purred: Fri Jan 8, '10 7:43am PST 
Good luck at the vets with Hope. It just occurred to me that if she is very inactive/sleeps a lot she's probably got a low metabolism. There could be a medical reason for that, like the hypothyroidism, but if not she could just be a couch potato. Gogo was very active and skinny as a kitten and I always used to worry that she was lighter and thinner than her sister but when she reached about 9 months old she slowed down and decided that snoozing and snggling were the best things in life and gained a lot of weight.

She tested fine on everything medically at her annual check up but was 15 pounds and very chubby when she was 18 months old and the vet said that for her size and frame 10-12lb would be ideal.

I switched all my cats to Innova Low Fat Adult food plus a bit of wet and Gogo stopped gaining weight and gradually lost about a pound and she's been fairly steady at 14.5 pounds over the last year. My other cats who were normal to a bit plump are all doing great on it too - the plump ones have lost a few ounces and everyone has good fur and muscle tone. The food just seems to have less fat in it than normal and has good ingredients and isn't packed with fillers. So if Hope's thyroid is OK and the vet can't find any other medical reason this could be a good food to try as it seems to be tasty and a good food based on my cats.
[notify]

Hope

Purred: Fri Jan 8, '10 12:35pm PST 
She lost some weight when we switched them from Blue Buffalo to TOTW, and they are doing so well on it that I am reluctant to switch. Their coats or gorgeous, and they've all trimmed down. Cali and Ollie are gorgeous. I really think there is something medically wrong with Hope. She just doesn't seem right, even for a couch potatoe. We'll see how it goes. Thanks again.
[notify]

Mika

Purred: Sat Jan 9, '10 6:16pm PST 
I have hyperthyroidism. It's actually a pretty common thing in us older kitties (I'll be 11 later this year). I'm not sure how it works in dogs, but in kitties, hyperthyroidism tends to make us more active with an increased appetite. My Mom started to think I might have hyperthyroidism because I was a *lot* more playful than usual and I had a huge appetite, but I was losing weight. The vet did a blood test and that proved my Mom was right. Now I take a little pill twice a day and my thyroid levels are back to normal.
[notify]

Gogo

Purrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Purred: Sat Jan 9, '10 8:31pm PST 
It sounds like TOTW is a good food for you then. I hope things go well for you at the vet and they can help you figure out what's going on.
[notify]

Natasha

Princess Forever

Purred: Sun Jan 10, '10 5:18am PST 
I had a cat that had a hyperthyroid problem at eleven and we had radiation treatment for him so I didn't have to pill him every day. It was actually at the time cheaper because the pills were a dollar a day and the radiation was one thousand. I figured if he lived until fourteen that it was paid off without that pill each day. He lived until he was sixteen when he had cancer. The radiation was quick, painless, and two weeks at Angell's hospital in Boston. Your cat is young for having this problem. I would check into other problems.
See what the others have recommended.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2