GO!

Anestheic Recall

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Sat Jan 2, '10 5:03am PST 
Came across this information and wanted to share it for any that might find it useful. smile

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- December 21, 2009 - Teva Animal Health, Inc. is expanding a nationwide voluntary recall of Ketamine Hydrochloride Injection, USP CIII 100mg/mL in 10mL vials for all lot numbers within their expiration dates to the Veterinary Level. This product had previously been recalled to the distributor level and is being expanded as a result of an increased trend in serious adverse events associated with this product.

http://www.truthaboutpetfood.com/articles/546/1/In-Case-Your-Pet -is-Schedule-for-a-Surgery-Soon/Page1.html
[notify]

Preston

I can haz fries?

Purred: Sat Jan 2, '10 11:32am PST 
Wow. Thanks Bumpurr. Us Cornish Rex cats don't do well with the Ketamine, so we don't use it...however, I will have my Mom pass along this information to her friends with Cats.
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Sat Jan 2, '10 5:17pm PST 
When the kittens went in to be neutered, I was beyond a wreck, as surgery is surgery, and I know there are different kinds of anstesia's. I asked my vet what happens from the time I dropped them off, until the time I picked them up. She described it in such detail, I could have prob done the surgery, mol, well, except for the blood part, mol. I do remember her mentioning ketamine, but don;t recall weather she said they use it, or its not what they use. Next time I talk to her, am going to ask her about ketamine. big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin
[notify]

Bogey

Purred: Sun Jan 3, '10 7:22pm PST 
Not all ketamine has been recalled. It is only a few companies and only certain lot numbers. Ketamine is a very safe and effective drug. It is a breeders' old wives' tale that rexes can't have ketamine. It is not true.
[notify]

Sapphire

The epitome of- bad hair day

Purred: Tue Jan 5, '10 10:46pm PST 
Thanks so much for posting this. The animal shelter I work with uses ketamine on surgery days, so I've forwarded it on to the higher-ups.
[notify]