Please respond quick, before I make the decision.

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

Purred: Fri Oct 30, '09 10:10am PST 
I have a cat that's about 9-10 years old.

About 3-4 months ago I moved into my own apartment for college, and took her with me. The drive was 6 hours.

When we first got here, she was a little scared, and hid for a little. She did eat a little, and a little the following day. Not as much as normal, but I figured it was because of the stress of the mood.

As she got used to her new surroundings, her appetite increased to more of a normal appetite, and this lasted for about a month or two.

Just recently her appetite has drastically decreased, and now to the point where she won't eat or drink anything on her own. I have been syringe feeding her for about 2 weeks now, but sometimes she pukes it up.

A week and a half ago I took her to the vet. The vet did a full blood panel and tested her for FIV. She was negative for FIV, but the blood panel indicated that she had an internal infection and a high white blood cell count. Also, a problem with her liver, which the vet said was from not eating.

The vet gave me clavamox, and told me to give her 1.5 ML daily. I've done that everyday, and last night was the last of the medicine.

Maggie is not any better, she still will not eat on her own and is definitely not her spunky self.

I called the vet again today and the person on the phone said that i can bring her in for a checkup, but if the vet couldn't find anything to fix her, than i might have to put her to sleep.
I had not considered this option, and am now very upset.
Maggie has been my best friend for years, and shes not very old.

Does anyone know what this could be?
Could the stress of the move have caused it? We have moved plenty of times with maggie, and each time she has adjusted perfectly fine. Is there a possibility that she had whatever she has, and the stress of the move brought it out? Because she seemed like she was fine before we came.

My vet appt is in 3 hours, and I don't want to be talked into putting my cat asleep unless it's absolutely the last option.

♥- Bella- ♥

I\'m married to- Tucker!!!
Purred: Fri Oct 30, '09 10:15am PST 
Mommie says before she would do anything that drastic, she would get a second opinion. Have they given her appetite stimulants? My angel brofur, BeeJay once had a problem with not eating and they put a feeding tube in him for a while. He only needed it for about a week (Mommie was also giving him meds, including an appetite stimulant throught it) and he was eating on his own and able to get it out.
Mommie says if the vet doesn't have a better answer, try another vet!!!


Mom says I'm- bee-yooo-ti-ful!
Purred: Fri Oct 30, '09 10:37am PST 
Bella is right. Don't do anything drastic without a second opinion. This isn't a decision you want to make lightly and without true consideration.

It is very difficult to get a cat eating again, and a feeding tube might be the answer. You can also give her a supplement called Nutrical, which is a calorie dense paste. The key is to get her eating again and making sure she's not dehydrated.

She is only middle-aged at most, she is not a senior. If she can pull through this, she has a long life ahead yet.

The vet can only advise, he cannot make you do anything. She is your cat, and you don't have to do what you don't want to do.

You do, however, have to do what's best for your kitty. Talk to your vet, listen to what he has to say - but don't make a decision to euthanize her if you don't feel confident it's the right thing for her. If you don't feel confident, get copies of her test results and go to another vet.

Purring for you...


You talkin' to- ME?
Purred: Fri Oct 30, '09 11:41am PST 
Don't give up!! Mom's foster kitty (soon to be part of our family) had hepatic lipidosis from not eating due to stress, and Mom had to syringe feed her three times a day for a month, and give her sub-q fluids twice a day that whole time. Her tummy may be upset, so try giving her 1/4 of a Pepcid. Mom agrees with the other posters, try an appetite stimulant.

Delyte, Dark- Angel, at- Bridge

Me and my- person, together- against all
Purred: Fri Oct 30, '09 11:52am PST 
This is Delyte. I stopped eating because of a large abdominal surgery and it took nearly two weeks before I would eat on my own. It just seemed like suddenly one day the penny dropped and I knew that I wanted to eat the yummy thing being offered and if I put my tongue out and grabbed it and swallowed it would work. Definitely get a second opinion, preferably from a more expert vet. Do you have any access to a veterinary school? Can you call them and get a vet recommended? While not eating can kill a cat, it doesn't have to kill them if you can feed them one way or another until they get over whatever made them lose their appetite. Could it be pancreatitis? That causes a dramatic loss of appetite.

Keep trying and we will keep purring for you! I have survived for 4 years after the surgery so it is worth doing! wave


Purred: Fri Oct 30, '09 11:56am PST 
The vet said previously that she had all the symptoms of CRL, which she said was not curable.
She did say that bloodwork showed an infection, but the medicine didn't help it.


Purred: Fri Oct 30, '09 11:58am PST 
It's all just so sudden and confusing.

I live in a small little town, so I don't think there are ay other vets near.


From a- distinguished- line of tabby- cats
Purred: Fri Oct 30, '09 12:10pm PST 
That's also only one kind of antibiotic, doesn't work against all infections.


Mom says I'm- bee-yooo-ti-ful!
Purred: Fri Oct 30, '09 12:26pm PST 
I don't know if you have gone to your appointment yet or not, but even if there are no other vets nearby - tell your vet that you want to do everything possible to help your kitty, and that euthanasia should be the absolute last option unless she is suffering.

At the very least, you do not have to make a decision today. Get info from your vet, then go home and do some internet research. There are some very awesome Catsters here who know a LOT about CRF cats and how to get cats to eat. Hopefully some of them will respond to this thread.

Take care, and let us know what happens.

McDuff- (4/10/94-12/- 14/09)

Take time to- smell the- flowers
Purred: Fri Oct 30, '09 12:46pm PST 
heres something for you to read. It has a signup for a CRF email support group and hopefully it may be of some help to you.

CRF site

  (Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4