GO!

Cat loses balance!

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Caspar

The nuttiest cat- alive!

Purred: Sun Oct 25, '09 8:06am PST 
Hello, recently Caspars third eyelids have been up. He seems a bit less loving too. Also, when he jumps up onto sofas he tends to stumble a bit and worst of all everytime he's sick his legs completely pack in! I'm really worried! Help! cry
[notify]

Dexter

I love chicken

Purred: Sun Oct 25, '09 8:24am PST 
Aww, sorry that Caspar is feeling poorly frown Could he have eaten or drank something poisonous? Can you get him to your vets/call out the vets today, or are they closed? If they are closed, I would suggest just keep him warm, make sure he is drinking and then get him a vet's appointment when they open. Good luck, hope he feels better soon.

Edited by author Sun Oct 25, '09 8:33am PST

[notify]

Nadia

Lick, lick. I- love to lick...

Purred: Sun Oct 25, '09 9:59am PST 
Just one possibility -- what comes to mind with the legs giving out is diabetic neuropathy. Some diabetic cats before diagnosis and treatment will develop this condition, here is a link with general info: neuropathy click here

I don't mean to alarm you, but just bring it up as a possibility. It could certainly be something else. How are his drinking and litterbox habits? He should be seen by a vet, they can test his blood glucose and also if needed do a fructosamine test to verify diabetes, or figure out if it's something else.

If by chance it is diabetes, it is manageable and a majority of kitties even go into remission with proper treatment: insulin and proper diet and catching it soon enough. I can point you to more resources if needed.

Best wishes, we hope Casper is feeling better soon!
[notify]

Lenny

Life's- short....live- large.

Purred: Tue Oct 27, '09 10:09am PST 
I am sorry to hear that Casper isn’t feeling well- about two years ago my brother Oliver had an issue with his ears. Mom noticed a little bit of a head tilt, that he just wasn’t feeling well and he was off balance Once she took him to the Veterinarian, they found out he had Vestibular disease. He is doing OK now, and we will never know what caused it, but he had a little tumor that had burst and that is what made him feel ill. Even though he is all healed now, and ornery as ever, he still has some balance issues.

Maybe Casper should go to the Vet too….let us know how he is doing!
[notify]

Patches

Patches - a masterpiece in- the making.

Purred: Tue Oct 27, '09 5:55pm PST 
My Patch had glaucoma and I was fortunate to have him the last three months of his life. By all means, get that checked out 'cause he had the same symptoms. Get to a vet as soon as possible.

Patch came to me late in the game - you are so far ahead of any issue you can overcome it.
[notify]