GO!

New here!

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Preston and- Dexter

Boys will be- boys!

Purred: Tue Oct 20, '09 1:45pm PST 
Hi, Im new here.. I just adopted my 2 kittens about 4 weeks ago. Im a 1st time cat owner and i hope to learn alot from you all. My babies are Dexter and Preston and they are abut 11 weeks old. both all black kittens and brothers smile they are such a joy to have in our home as new members of our family!
any advice you can give to a new kitten mommy?
[notify]

Smudge

I play, therefor- I am!

Purred: Fri Oct 23, '09 3:37pm PST 
Hi Preston and Dixon and welcome to Catster and kittenhood! You'll be so happy that you adopted them together and so will they. There is nothing like a kitten to help another kitten use up crazy kitten energy. It is normal for them to chase eachother through the house at warp speed and to wrestle. Even though they'll be really good at keeping eachother entertained it's good for you guys to play with them too. Good toys are Da' Bird and other wand toys, balls, straws (yes, like plastic drinking straws), boxes of all sizes, toy mice, and laser pointers (not in the eyes). There also really good at finding their own toys, so watch out for things like loose Legos. Also, don't wrestle with them or they will consider your hands to be toys.

Read up on cat nutrition and health here on Catster and other sites. A book that I really like is Your Cat, Simple New Secrets to a Longer, Stronger Life by Elizabeth M. Hodgkins, D.V.M.

Enjoy your new babies!
[notify]

Dexter

I love chicken

Purred: Fri Oct 23, '09 4:28pm PST 
Hi kitties smile I must say, Dexter is a very good name, lol big grin Hope you have a great time here smile
[notify]

Mason

Purred: Sat Oct 24, '09 5:15am PST 
Congrats on your new additions! I'm sure they are a joy to have. One tip I have on kitty nutrition is to make sure you are giving your cats wet food. An all dry food diet is not good for cats and can lead to problems later on in life such as feline diabetes. Cats are meant to eat meat, not carb filled kibble. Some good brands to try that don't contain wheat, corn or soy (again bad for kitties) are natural balance, nature's variety, wellness, and Innova. You can still give a little bit of dry food, but also give wet food so they are getting moisture in their diet. Cats are prone to getting their fluids from prey, not by drinking water. Also kittens need to eat more meals a day, so I would feed them three times a day and allow them to free feed. As they get older however, drop their meals down to two times with no free feeding. Congrats again!
[notify]

♥ TT- ♥

Purred: Sat Oct 24, '09 7:41am PST 
Hi Preston & Dexter! wave

Ahhhh, black kittens- so cute!

A good website for you to read is www.catinfo.org

xoxoxo
[notify]

Simba

The Lion King

Purred: Sun Oct 25, '09 1:33am PST 
Hello and welcome to Catster. You will have loads of fun with your new kittens. Make sure to give them lots of lovings and play with them. Also, give them their own space, a place they can sleep. Kittens need their beauty rest. kitty
[notify]

QUINCY

I've never met a- kitten I didn't- like

Purred: Sun Oct 25, '09 1:03pm PST 
I can't add much more than what's been said, but I just want to say Concatulations on your new family members!!happy dance It is so wonderful that you took both brothers and even more wonderful that you picked out black kitties. They are usually the last to go and now that it's Halloween, most shelters won't even adopt them.

A good toy they can entertain themselves with is a Turbo Track aka Star Chaser. It is a round track you put on the floor with a ball in it that they batt around the circle, and it has a cardboard scratcher in the middle. We swear by them for the foster kittens in this house.

Concatulations again and enjoy your babies!!wave
[notify]

Panda

the luckiest cat- in town

Purred: Sun Oct 25, '09 1:19pm PST 
we love black kitties smile CONGRATS
[notify]

Wally B.- Piper

I'm a big love- bug

Purred: Sun Oct 25, '09 4:37pm PST 
Just like Quincy said, there isn't much more I can add. But a laser light is so much fun for kittens and cats alike. I know our cats love it. Cheap thing to buy too. Kitten need lots of sleep, so have a really comfy bed in a spot that they both like. Congratulations. It's always fun to be a new Mom with kittens. There really isn't a dull moment with kittens. They have boundless energy.

Have fun with them.

Purrs, Wally and Family
[notify]

Pepsi

the pork chop- flies tonight~

Purred: Tue Oct 27, '09 7:47am PST 
yay! black cats! They're such affectionate little furballs & you've adopted two as well smile

Give them a lot of different toys but introduce the toys maybe one/two at a time. It's best to let them play with them only under supervision because they might break it and choke on the pieces etc. Don't buy toys with small pieces that might fall off and even though cats love plastic bags, string and elastic bands, keep them out of reach because they're dangerous.

Some cheaper alternatives to toys :

1. sock with catnip (younger kittens might not respond to catnip though)
2. paper bag
3. boxes
4. thick chunky straws (good for teething too)

There are a lot of interesting toys which you can buy online as well - I try to find some mentally stimulating things for my cat to keep him from getting bored. You should also try to train your cats; good mental exercise and fun for them (you can train them to sit, fetch and come when you call them). A tall scratching post is good for them too - and also good for your furniture; they'll need one to shed old layers of their claws. Hmm...I've said a lot so I'll end it here smile
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2