GO!

Health consequences of raising your fur

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Simon Singh

A bra is not a- toy...a bra is- not a toy.

Purred: Mon Aug 3, '09 11:17pm PST 
A big dog moved in next door to us, and the fence of his backyard is about 4 feet from my back door. Of course, the new dog is very interested in looking at my cat, whose cat entry is in the window next to the back door, and whose favourite perches include the back door landing.

While there hasn't been any hissing on my cat Simon's part or any barking or growling on the dog Sammy's part, they do tend to regard each other solemnly when both are present and Simon often raises his fur. I think he must raise his fur a lot more frequently now that there is a dog living at his back door, and I was wondering if this caused more stress to his system or would have any negative health effects? Does it raise adrenaline the way humans experience when we get the fight or flight response? This is one thing that can contribute to heart disease in humans, and I worry about Simon experiencing any additional stress.

What are the long-term effects of fur-raising?
[notify]

Simon Singh

Purred: Tue Aug 11, '09 1:54pm PST 
Any help here?
[notify]

Meow in- Loving- Memory

where is my Mom?

Purred: Tue Aug 11, '09 2:03pm PST 
Well it does sound a bit stress full but I would not worry about it very much. Now if you see any other problems, like pooping or eating things, than I would contact your vet. They should get to know each other soon enough and hopefully the hair raising experience will stop.
I see you are eating a GREAT food and that will help you cope with the stress. I am working part time for Nutro and all my animals have eaten it for over 20 years now. Meow here was my 3rd kitty to reach 22 years old on max Cat.
Good Luck and please keep us informed.

Edited by author Tue Aug 11, '09 2:07pm PST

[notify]

Hobert von- Kingston III

Is it Caturday- yet?

Purred: Fri Aug 14, '09 8:18pm PST 
Hmm, could you possibly build your kitty a little privacy fence? Just a small one around her entrance. It might help calm her down. However, it's likely that both her and the dog will get used to each other eventually and all will be well.
[notify]

Simon Singh

Purred: Tue Aug 18, '09 10:22pm PST 
Thanks for your thoughts so far. Simon is not exactly afraid of Sammy. They just have these staring stand-offs. When Sammy is in his house, Simon takes over his yard, just like he always did. Once he even got on Sammy's porch and prevented Sammy from coming up. He just likes to show his fur a lot. Can these 2 become friends, do you think? I don't want to come home to find Sammy has devoured Simon.

About the privacy fence, Simon has a perch higher than the dog, and a metal gate he can choose to sit behind, and I honestly think he kind of likes keeping the dog in his sights.

So far neither one of them has growled or hissed. It's just slinking and staring and hair raising...What could be coming next?
[notify]