GO!

Question about food and homemade stuff and pregnancy

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Princess Puff

I gotta catch- it, I gotta- catch it!!!!!!

Purred: Sat Jun 20, '09 2:35pm PST 
Does anyone make their cats food.
Heres the thing..We are idiots and let our Princess Puff get prego..Ive always always had my animals fixed early but for some reason I waited too long, I thought she was younger too.Anyway the deed is done.
The babys are wiggling around in her so I dont think it will be too long...Problem is she is small, and she is a light eater(as compared to my other monsters).Plus she is young too.How can I make sure she gets the right nutrition? We live way out in a very small town and getting those fancy brands of food is just out of the question. Can I cook something homemade that will boost her a bit? What about raw(although she is very finicky)?
A good place with recipes, cooked or raw, I imagine I will have to try several things before she finds something she likes.
[notify]

Diablo

Purred: Sat Jun 20, '09 4:45pm PST 
I did find this article about feeding raw.Pretty interesting stuff.
http://www.catinfo.org/makingcatfood.htm
It just so happens I raise meat rabbits.But its very small production, just for the family and my pets.But so far I cant get the dogs and 2 cats to eat raw, only cooked meat.
Do the cats need the extra added taurine if they eat the whole animal?
[notify]

Hermes

I'm not a cat,- I'm satan!

Purred: Tue Jun 23, '09 12:08pm PST 
It's already been shown that a diet of only raw rabbit will lead to taurine deficiency in cats. If you add in dark meats like poultry dark meat and dark pork, the taurine will balance out.

For Princess Puff's owner: Does she have any definite favorite things? My cats go crazy for the lower quality canned food and salmon oil. If you grind her raw food (it can only be kept in the fridge for 3 days tops), you can add in one of her favorite treats so she at least tries it. It will take a few days but will end up being better for her and the kittens.

If you do decide to go the raw route with her, be sure to pick up fatty cuts of meat. That extra fat may not be good for humans but a pregnant/nursing cat needs all the extra calories she can get. One of my favorite cuts is pork picnic since it most often comes with the skin attached which contains a lot of collagen. The bones are great for making an unseasoned stock that can be eventually used to soak the kittens' dry food (since I understand that feeding kittens dry makes for easier adoption).
[notify]

Princess Puff

Purred: Tue Jun 23, '09 2:13pm PST 
They can eat raw pork?
Well she wont touch raw yet but did give her some cooked meats.I will have to work into this.I tried scrambled raw egg and she licked at it. I also tried some raw rabbit but no go there too.
[notify]

Meow in- Loving- Memory

where is my Mom?

Purred: Tue Jun 23, '09 5:35pm PST 
IMO, be very careful with feeding raw as the only food for a pregnant cat. Now with that being said, it is because unless you have the knowledge and training on all of the nutrients needed in the food. I would leave it up to someone who does. I am NOT bashing anyone who feeds raw. Just I do not feel comfortable doing so. As I do not know the proper amounts needed of vitamins, minerals and such needed to keep my cats healthy and not malnourished. That is what My Vet told me. I do see you are looking for something to boost her and that is great. You could try cooking it for her. She may prefer it that way. The Nutracal may help also. You could also put some of the powered milk replacement on her food. Good luck and let us know.
[notify]

SMUDGE

Mice are bad

Purred: Tue Jun 23, '09 6:46pm PST 
Like all animals, us cats need a diet that is properly balanced and contains all the essential nutrients in the correct quantities. These nutrients are water, protein, fat, carbohydrate, minerals and vitamins. My mum found a really interesting article on cats nutritional needs at http://askables.com/Knowledge/Posts/Pets/408/Your-cats-nutritional-n eeds.html - hope it helps
[notify]

Hermes

Purred: Wed Jun 24, '09 1:57am PST 
The main concern that people have with feeding pets raw pork is the perceived risk of trichinosis. In reality, there have been no cases of trichinosis in farm pork for several years. Raw pork is a regular part of my ferrets' raw diet (cats only get supplementation right now) and nothing has happened to them because of it.

In any case...

If she'll only eat cooked meat it's a good start. If you gradually cook it less until it's raw, she's more likely to switch.

As for those who don't feed raw because of nutritional balance, I can understand. I personally started to feed raw because I saw that commercial food was negatively impacting my cats. I did a lot of research before making the plunge just to be sure I knew what I was doing. It's done a lot of good for them and I still regret having to go to canned with raw supplementation. Sadly, it got too expensive to feed raw only.
[notify]

Princess Puff

Purred: Wed Jun 24, '09 9:04am PST 
I keep dry kibble out at all times because Orange cat will eat nothing else, not even cooked chicken.So all the cats have options at this point, Im just trying to supplement Puff right now.I also buy canned and feed it once a week or so.
With that said.
This last spring I lost two litters of newborn buns to a combination of first time moms and sudden freeze.Well with the great intention of feeding them whole(yea right!!) to the animals I froze them.Last night I defrosted two and ground them up whole(yuck!!) she wouldnt touch it raw so I sauted it and she scarfed it down..It smelled just like liver when cooked.Im just glad to see her eating so well.
[notify]

Hermes

Purred: Wed Jun 24, '09 12:14pm PST 
Keep it up! If she'll eat cooked rabbit as a supplement, it's better than nothing. I would suggest drizzling it with a little bit of either salmon or olive oil (not extra virgin) before giving it to her. It will help out her skin and coat and will give her a little boost of Omega fatty acids which are essential for the brain function of her unborn kittens.
[notify]

Miss Puff

carma works,- wish I never- chaced Meow

Purred: Thu Jun 25, '09 10:30am PST 
WTG Puff, I never thought of using the baby buns like that. Here in Fla I have had that happen also. Just because of the heat. And first time mun.
I am also glad she ate it.
From one Puff to an other,
LOL
[notify]