GO!

Cleaning eyes?

Good grooming practices are essential for maintaining health and happiness for you and your cat. This is a forum to exchange tips and advice for proper care of your cat's hygiene needs.

Arthur (Miss- You!- '93-'09)

Bucket of Fuzz

Purred: Wed May 20, '09 11:56pm PST 
Hey everycat wave

I was diagnosed with IBD last year and a side effect of the medicine I'm taking causes gunk to build up around my eyes, nose, ears, etc.

The vet told mom that she can use unscented baby wipes to keep my face clean and she does use it where it gets crusty in the corners of my eyes, the sides of my nose, and my ears.

The trouble is, I get crusties along the edges of my eyelids and she doesn't think she should be sticking those baby wipes into my eyes. Is there something she can use to loosen or remove the gunk that's safe to use that close to the eyes?

Thanks in advance!
kitty

BooBoo

headed for the- light.

Purred: Thu May 21, '09 1:04pm PST 
I have to have medicated eyedrops sometimes, and Meowma was trying to see if she could get them with no prescription. She could not, but there were kinds with no medicaton. Maybe those would help.
[notify]

Ember

College Cat

Purred: Fri May 22, '09 9:26pm PST 
Mom sometimes has to clean my eyes because I don't do it myself too well! Usually she uses a moist warm washcloth (with very thin fabric) and gently rubs to loosen what's around my eyes. I'd assume this is OK, since there isn't anything too harmful in tap water.
[notify]

Melvin

Purred: Sat May 23, '09 9:23pm PST 
Melvin has the traditional Himalayan eye goop.
His smooshface causes constant running.
Just use a warm washcloth and clean it up every so often and you'll have no troubles.
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Tue May 26, '09 3:23pm PST 
They make eye wipes, you could get them at Petsmart. You might want
to check the ingredients in them, it may be the same as the unscented
babywipes, as long as there is no alcohol in them, which it should say
on the package.

Show people use unscented baby wipes all the time, even read about it in
Cat Fancy.

For their eyes, I just use a napkin, or paper towel to get the gunkys out of
their eyes. But I agree with the other poster, a warm washcloth would
work too, and its free. big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/ product/pet_supplies.cfm?c=3261+16804
[notify]