GO!

Automatic Litterboxes???

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Cheyanne

♥ Simbas Lucky- Wife! ♥

Purred: Wed Apr 29, '09 5:45pm PST 
Human is contemplating getting me one... but she don't know nothing about them. So she says I has to ask ya'll. shh

She has a friend that has one for her cats, but she hasn't talked to them in a while.

Do parts need replaced? Are they worth the price? Does anybody have problems with them?

She thinks I'll catch on quick, but she wants more details. smile

Thanks kits!

Purrs & Pounces,
~Chey~
[notify]

Cheyanne

♥ Simbas Lucky- Wife! ♥

Purred: Thu Apr 30, '09 3:24pm PST 
Anykit?
[notify]

Apollo (In- Memory)

Love Ya

Purred: Thu Apr 30, '09 4:28pm PST 
Maybe they all were eaten by their automated kittylitter boxes! shock shrug

TGM Gimli DB- #101a

Play Hard, Sleep- Hard!

Purred: Thu Apr 30, '09 5:25pm PST 
Hi Chey!

Mom bought us a Littermaid a few years ago and we love it (especially Nigel)! But mom had it in storage for a year or so and the rake doesn't move after we leave the box. Before that, it worked fine. It moves when mom turns it off then on. She's been lazy and hasn't read any troubleshooting tips so see what's wrong with it. maybe she will tonight!

Tully

The Tullster

Purred: Thu Apr 30, '09 6:34pm PST 
Hi Cheyanne! We don't purrsonally own a Littermaid, but Mom kitty-sat for a friend last summer when her family went to Europe. The problem with the automatic litterboxes that Mommy saw was that the litter needs to be at a certain level for the sensor to function properly. I guess the friend's kitty had piled the kitty litter so that the sensor was covered and the rake stayed on continuously until Mom came back the next day to feed the kitty. Needless to say, the kitty could not use the box with the rake on, and she left a little "prize" inside the house. For this reason, we would not own an automatic litterbox unless you are home 24/7 in case something goes wrong.
[notify]

♥- Bella- ♥

I\'m married to- Tucker!!!

Purred: Fri May 1, '09 4:41am PST 
We have Litter Maid boxes. Mommie works outside the home and is gone most of the day. We don't have a problem with them. (if they are working correctly, they have an automatic shut off for the rake after a certain time if the sensor gets blocked) We like ours a lot and Mommie is glad she doesn't have to scoop the box all the time!
[notify]

Loki

Purred: Fri May 1, '09 6:29pm PST 
Sorry, we don't use litterboxes anymore.
We use the toilets... yes, all 4 of us.
hamster dance
[notify]

Ember

College Cat

Purred: Sat May 2, '09 7:13pm PST 
I use a ScoopFree. I didn't have a problem starting to use it at all.... mom left my old litterbox out with no litter and left me with just the ScoopFree. I used to watch it when it auto-scooped very intently! But it didn't scare me.

Mom is concerned about the price though. A refill every 2-3 weeks costs her $15, and she has to order it online (Pet Smart stocks the unit itself, but not the replacement litter trays!).
[notify]

Miss Puff

carma works,- wish I never- chaced Meow

Purred: Sat May 2, '09 7:31pm PST 
Way to go Loki!! That takes a bit of work fore some kitties. I tried that once but it did not work. Congrats on your smart cats!
As for the automatic litter boxes.. they can be a pain because they can get stuck and the cables that the rake runs on, are made out of a string that needs to be oiled every once and a while to keep them working. This must be done with a washcloth and a dry clean box... Or you could use some coking spray. Meow and Puff did not like there's much.
Good luck
[notify]

Miss Phoebe

I purr therefore- I am

Purred: Sat May 2, '09 8:59pm PST 
You could always check on Amazon...they sell different brands of automatic litter boxes and people write reviews about them. I heard that some kitties are scared of them but I know someone who has one and the cat loves it. Best of luck!!
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2