GO!

Male or Female. What Do You Prefer?

If you are wondering what is the right cat for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about purring and learning.

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  
Sabre

Protective Free- Spirit

Purred: Fri Apr 24, '09 10:30am PST 
Hello Fellow Cat Lovers
I will admit i had never had a cat until I got Sabre for my boyfriend. Then in Winnipeg I rescued 3 Kittens, 1 male (Rodney) and 2 female. Then finally, living at my mother-in-laws for a few months I was exposed to a older female cat (anna)
Everybody says male cats are more playful and females just like to sit and groom themselves. Having finally been around both I can say that although I do love my boys I would not be opposed to getting a female cat if we ever get one again.
What does everybody think?
Do you think there is a difference between male and female cats? Which do you prefer?
[notify]

Atrus

Fluff butt

Purred: Fri Apr 24, '09 1:20pm PST 
There really is little difference between sexes if they are spayed/neutered. Except size. I specifically requested a male Ragdoll for size. Otherwise I don't have a preference, except that maybe naming males is easier.
[notify]

Elisabeth- Ann

Doodle Noodle

Purred: Fri Apr 24, '09 2:56pm PST 
Mom prefers girl dogs & cats.
[notify]

Calypso

Purred: Fri Apr 24, '09 9:13pm PST 
I prefer males. My boys are a lot more laid back and get along better with others than my female does. Although, my female also was born to a feral mother and kept some of those tendencies even after she was socialized.
[notify]

Nuk Anuk

Couching Tiger

Purred: Sat Apr 25, '09 7:52am PST 
Statistically speaking, history would show that my family prefers females. Although that doesn't tell the whole story.

In their lifetime through 6 cats I am the only male! (well formerly male, because I'm neutered.)

Our latest kitty, Gabby was chosen not based on looks or gender but on personality. Her personality was the best match for our already established heirarchy.
Sweets too was personality matched with our existing family.

I was an *unplanned* family member - but who can say "no" to this face.
[notify]

BooBoo

headed for the- light.

Purred: Sat Apr 25, '09 11:23am PST 
well, certainly not me--my brother! (we do look alike!)
Meowma chooses by personality as well, for kitties; we are all so different that it's hard to attribute any certain personality traits to either sex, at least after we're fixed.
When Meowma has had dogs in the past, though, she greatly prefers females., as she feels they are easier to housebreak, and pay attention more, usually.
[notify]

Chai Latte

Your Royal- Chainess

Purred: Sat Apr 25, '09 6:48pm PST 
I think gender is less of a factor than personality. I have 3 girls and every one of them is so different.

When choosing our latest addition to the family we went totally with personality. We went to the local SPCA and looked for a kitty that would fit with the two we have. It just so happened to be a female, but if a male had fit that would have been fine.
[notify]

Athena (In- Memory)

Purrs and Love- to Mom and- Toulouse

Purred: Sat Apr 25, '09 7:35pm PST 
I've always had male cats and all of them were laid-back, mellow, lovey guys, including my first male who was NOT neutered. Athena is my first female (spayed) and although she is loving and follows me everywhere and likes for me to carry her, she doesn't care for much kissy/huggy. But she certainly doesn't just sit around, she is very active throughout the day, while her brother sleeps 23 hours. Her littermate/brother is a big "love muffin". But a co-worker of mine told me her brother/sister cats are just the opposite -- her female is the love muffin.
shrug

I would choose by personality not gender.

Edited by author Sat Apr 25, '09 7:40pm PST

Chai Latte

Your Royal- Chainess

Purred: Sun Apr 26, '09 8:17am PST 
Oh I forgot one thing.

Mom says that one advantage with females is if you move the litter box they WILL stop and ask for directions.

(That's a joke hee hee!!)

laugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loudlaugh out loud
[notify]

☆Toby☆- DB#46

Toby Boy

Purred: Sun Apr 26, '09 10:08am PST 
I have to say mom LOVES her boy cats. Every male cat she has ever had was laid back, loving and affectionate. While she still loves Melody just as much if she had to choose it would be male.

Gordy and I follow her around as soon as she gets home. We take naps with her and everything. Melody really only wants attention when SHE wants it.

We have just always had better luck with Males in our family.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6