GO!

ash in food

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Kali

i enjoy stalking- things

Purred: Tue Apr 21, '09 4:50pm PST 
So today i went back to PetCo to buy more Natural Balance cat food for my kitties and i scoped out other cat foods. I found that nearly EVERY cat canned food has ASH in it. Whats the point of this????
I was furious. I did check NB and theirs DOESNT have ash. Even Nutro and Science Diet have it!! SO Im glad i stuck with Natural Balance

Link to this info
http://cat-care.suite101.com/article.cfm/ash_content_in_cat_fo od
[notify]

Loki

Purred: Tue Apr 21, '09 11:20pm PST 
Concerning "ash":
I googled "cat food ash" and there were a few definitions that popped up.

a. "ASH ‘the incombustible inorganic residue remaining after incineration; generally the mineral content of the food’...
In pet food the constituents are broken down in to several components: carbohydrate, moisture, protein, fibre and fat/oil.
Anything that does not come into one of these categories is called by the general term 'ash'. It is called ash because when the food is burned (to determine its analysis) carbohydrate, fibre, fat and protein are all incinerated. Ash is the part of the food that remains after incineration.
...Foods with very high ash contents may contain excessive quantities of vitamins and minerals which can be detrimental to your pet's health."

b. " 'Ash' in cat food is the inorganic mineral content left over when the organic portion has been removed. It generally consists of potassium, magnesium, and sodium salts, along with smaller amounts of other minerals. It used to be thought that the total "ash" content of food contributed to FUS, but recently, attention has focused on magnesium as the culprit. Many commercial foods now list the magnesium content as a separate item in the list of nutrients on the bag, box, or can. "

c. "Ash is measured by heating the pet food to temperatures of around 550 °C, and burning off all the organic components to leave just the inorganic residue."

In other words, "ash" is.... ash. It is how they determine the mineral content of your kibble.

Ash is not added into the food, it is a method of measurement and labeling.

Hope that helps clear things up a little.
[notify]

Shadow

Purred: Wed Apr 22, '09 5:11am PST 
Wow, GREAT explaination! I always wondered about that, you cleared it up perfectly! Thanks again!
[notify]