GO!

Mommy needs ideas for getting me in the carrier

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Gary

On a never- ending catfood- quest

Purred: Thu Apr 16, '09 7:54am PST 
I am supposed to go to the vet today for a s-h-o-t and nooooooooooo, I will not get in that carrier. Mommy used to just put me in a harness and take me that way, but she has to take Redi today and can't figure out how to take a carrier and a cat in a harness. So, she thinks I have to get in the carrier.

Any ideas for getting me in there? She tried wrapping me in a towel, but that was no good
[notify]

Henry- (1996-2010)

Go away, I'm- sleeping.

Purred: Thu Apr 16, '09 8:32am PST 
Henry fights me tooth and nail, and I found some things that works.

Going in backwards, with one hand under him, tuck his back legs against his body, and support him from underneath, with the other hand, tuck his front paws under his chest, and support him in the front. Slip him in backwards quickly.

If that doesn't work, put kitty in a pillowcase (if he'll let you), even up to his neck will work, and put the whole thing in. He'll come out of the pillowcase quickly, and it gives him extra absorbent padding.

Tilt carrier on end, and lower him in.

Good luck!
[notify]

Spooky

Master of the- silent meow

Purred: Thu Apr 16, '09 8:58am PST 
I find top-loading to be easier and safer for me. (My cats don't deliberately claw me, but I do get marked up as they use me for traction. big grin ) I have a carrier that unzips at the top. Or as Henry said, tilt the carrier on its end. That's what they do on Animal Cops anyway. big grin
[notify]

Lucy Nooner

Chatterbox

Purred: Thu Apr 16, '09 11:54am PST 
Lucy gives me a hard time getting into the carrier, too. I now put the carrier in the bathroom the night before a vet appointment so that she forgets about it. When it's time to go to the vet, I take her in the bathroom and shut the door (no escaping!) and then, as Spooky mentioned, I top-load her by setting the carrier with the opening facing up and I lower her in with her back legs and bottom first. So far it's worked for us.
[notify]

Spooky

Master of the- silent meow

Purred: Thu Apr 16, '09 12:40pm PST 
Oh, and one other thing I do is to scruff the cat. I don't support all its weight from the scruff of the neck - it's too much strain for an adult cat and can cause damage - but I will put just enough weight to "paralyze" it and support the rest by holding its rear. I don't know if that makes sense.
[notify]

Matty

Rescue cats- rule!

Purred: Thu Apr 16, '09 1:02pm PST 
Aaron sez "+1 on Henry's answer. Matty goes crazy and hates to be confined, but we tend to do it that way and after a few scratches on my arm and some attempted bites, Matty usually gives up and just gets in with that method"
best of luck
[notify]

Hobert von- Kingston III

Is it Caturday- yet?

Purred: Thu Apr 16, '09 1:13pm PST 
I throw in really awesome treats and the kitties will generally go right in. We also put a blankie covered in cat nip in there.
[notify]

BooBoo

headed for the- light.

Purred: Thu Apr 16, '09 2:09pm PST 
Meowma leaves my carrier in my" room with a towel in it all the time, and throws in a kitty treat now and then. That way i don't freak when I have to get in for a vet visit. MY problem is getting me out once we get there. My container has the plastic clips that hold the whole top on; she has finally learned to just take it apart once we get to the vet, and just let me sit there, secure on my towel in the bottom half, while I get examined.
(Just in case once you get in, they can't get you out! laugh out loud )
[notify]

Milo Reyna

Momma's Moe

Purred: Thu Apr 16, '09 2:47pm PST 
oh the joys of a putting a cat in a carry case.

I can put Milo and Libs in a box cary case no problem. Milo loves boxes and he thinks it's time to play. He loves the box ones.

but I cannont get him in the plastic ones, its hard. I bought a bag carry case for him, it looks like a duffle bag, I can put him in through the top or the side. he doesn't like it much, but it's easier to place him in through the top. I always put cat treats in there for him.

I wish I could use the card board box cases since he loves them, but I realized putting a 17 lbs cat in one isn't such a great idea when he falls through the bottom lol.

with my stray bear, I bought him one of those plastic ones because he's strong, i put his head by the opening of the door, and push him in by his butt. I found this to be easier, he'll go in sometimes without fighting just to turn around in it to try to walk out lol.
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Thu Apr 16, '09 2:51pm PST 
Ah....... my speciality. wavewavewavewavewavewavewavewave

Bumpurr and the kittens, walk right in, when I open the door. It didn't
happen overnight, they were taught to. I feel all cats should be trained to
load, as you just never know, when you have to evacuate in an emergency.

It happened to me at a show, and it was the kittens first show, and their
first time in a hotel. Hadn't been there 1 hr, and the fire alarm went off.
It was enough racket for a seasoned show cat, let alone 2 kittens who
never been in a hotel before. Their eyes got big, they got a little spooked,
and looked at me, like what do we do mommy, tell us, we trust you.

My carrier makes a very distinctive sound, when I push the 2 levers
together, to open the door. I opened the door, they knew the sound, they
knew what to do, they walked right in. Their training saved them, in
an emergency.

Thankfully, it was just a false alarm, but, what if it hadn't been, what if
it had been a real fire? I waste presious seconds, chasing 2 scared kittens
around the room, then try to stuff them in the carrier, when they don't
load???

Show cats are highly trained, to accept most situations, and in this case
the training, saved their lives.

So, before I type out all the instructions, as it will be long, is there anybody
that really wants to know?

Suppose you have a fire, suppose you have to evacuate in an emergency,
flood, hurricane, who knows what, how ya gonna get your cat, in a
carrier, when you have seconds, and the cat won't load??

thinkingthinkingthinkingthinkingthinkingthinkingthinkingthinkingthinkingthinkingthinkingthinkingthinkingthinkingthinkingthinkingthinkingthinkingthinking

big grinbig grinbig grin: Dbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2