GO!

At what age do kittens begin to calm down?

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Pyewacket

Bouncing Off The- Walls!

Purred: Thu Feb 5, '09 6:42pm PST 
Hello everyone! Pyewacket is only about 2 months old and he is just a ball of energy! I was just wondering at around what age do they begin to settle down a bit? Oh, and is there any way to discipline them? Pye just loves to eat my homework and I don't really know how to make him stop. Additionally, he loves to gnaw on people when he plays and although he may be tiny, his teeth are definitely sharp...lol. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
[notify]

FOREST

PLAY PLAY PLAY

Purred: Thu Feb 5, '09 7:28pm PST 
Calming down depends on each individual kitten some are born calm and some Die hyper. On average however at about one year you should start to seet some improvement.

Regarding Dicipline, @ your age the best thing is to behave like mommy kitty hissing and ignoring when she Pyewacket that's a she name right?shrug begins to miss behave. As you grow older seperating may become neccessary. But as with children the younger you start the fewer problems in the future.
[notify]

Smudge

I play, therefor- I am!

Purred: Fri Feb 6, '09 4:14am PST 
Hi Pye:

Well, my brofur and I are 7 months old and haven't really calmed down much yet!big grin However, we do tend to be quieter at night than we used to be.

As for the "biting", don't make the mistake of wrestling with him with your hand. It is the darned cutest thing on the world, but cats won't understand why you do it now and then in a few months yell at them for doing it when they are bigger, stronger, and even sharper! If he wants to wrestle with you, pull out a toy to play with him instead. It will save some anguish later on.

Purrs,
Smudge
[notify]

~ Angel ~

Mommy's Miracle -

Purred: Fri Feb 6, '09 10:44am PST 
Ty for this thread, It has helped my mommy alot. She plays with me with her fingers but not any more thanks to the advice on here.

Love Angel
xoxox
[notify]

Sassy

mystery poop!- who did it?

Purred: Fri Feb 6, '09 11:39am PST 
kittens are just little terrors from about 9weeks up untll a little over a year...esp little boy kittens. a light tap on the nose is what other cats do to tell a kitten no ( use one finger and just a little tap) also hissing works, and for long distance, i use a squirt bottle with plain water. (some people use vinger but i think thats mean)
[notify]

Phineas

Mama's Bed Bug

Purred: Fri Feb 6, '09 1:40pm PST 
I love that someone posted not to play with kitties with their hands, that is SOOOO true. It has always made all my friends mad that I won't let them, yet when my cats get older they comment about how sweet they are and how they never nip at them in play. I always look at them and say, seeeee!!! LOL!!!

My Phineas knows that when I lay down and turn off the lights, playtime is over and it's time to sleep. He is almost 5 months old. It's about love, patience, consistency, and common sense. You'll get it smile
[notify]

Rocky Crazy- Toes

Your Worst- nightmare

Purred: Fri Feb 6, '09 2:08pm PST 
Well usually around a year or two, but for Rocky he is two and a half and is such a spazzy crazy cat, he is truly the most wild cat I have seen! But I wouldn't want him any other way.
[notify]

Frodo

Hobbit Kitty,- Mighty Hunter

Purred: Sun Feb 8, '09 8:14pm PST 
big laugh You'll so miss this later! big laugh

I've been successful firmly saying "Ah ah - gentle" when they bite or if they don't retract their claws. Don't pull away - it just makes you look more like prey and hurts a lot. If they don't stop after you say "gentle," put them on the floor. And never allow the disembowling action of kicking you with their hind paws!

Also, get to know her play style. You'll notice a point where she starts to get too hyper and will cross the line into biting. If you slow down the play at that point, you can avoid the issue entirely.

Never playing with your hands is a great idea. You should definitely abide by that. (Do as I say, not as I do. big grin) I've never been able to avoid it because it's just so darn cute. But the "gentle" thing has worked.

Yeah, I'm a bad mom sometimes, but cats are smart and we work out our boundaries! big grin
[notify]

Pyewacket

Bouncing Off The- Walls!

Purred: Mon Feb 9, '09 2:49pm PST 
Thank you all so much! You know, I don't really play with him with my hands, he just kind of attacks them...lol. I think the problem might be that he thinks my dog is his mom...lol, so he doesn't really pay attention to what I say to him. He is getting a little better since I completely eliminated playing with my hands though. He just sort of stalks my hands especially when I'm typing on my laptop, like right now.

Oh, and I figured out why he is so hyper when I get home from school, it's because the entire time I'm away he's sleeping, and as soon as I open the door he thinks it's playtime. It is pretty cute though, except when he insists on walking on my laptop and eating my books...lol.
[notify]

Miya

Purred: Mon Feb 9, '09 7:40pm PST 
My kitten walks on my laptop too. if i make the mistake of leaving it open (Sin) she will lay on it and fall asleep. She is completely obsessed with the darn thing.

it gets VERY annoying sometimes!
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2