GO!

merrick bg

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Cricket

i luuuuvv- catnip!!

Purred: Tue Jan 27, '09 8:48am PST 
so i was feeding evo dry (nighttime) and wellness gf wet (morning) to  both of my cats and they were doing great on it. the only problem is that the evo is sooo calorie dense that cricket, who already has a bit of a weight issue, was gaining a lot of weight. unfortunately, it didn't matter how little i fed her because she'd just steal nayru's...

so any way. i've decided to switch their dry food in hopes that i can find one that is of similar quality to evo, but with less calories.  we tried instinct, but neither of them were even a little impressed, and were just holding out for the wet food that they get in the morning. which wasn't really a problem for cricket, but nayru is a very petite cat in the first place and she was losing weight...which is a problem...

so, my question is, have any of you tried the before grain? both of mine seem to really really like it, and it's low calorie compaired to evo. so i was just curious if anyone had any feedback obout it. thanks!! smile

Edited by author Tue Jan 27, '09 8:49am PST

[notify]

Angel

Angel- Fuffybottom

Purred: Tue Jan 27, '09 5:11pm PST 
It's not a bad food. It made Angel's poop really stinky but she normally eats raw so we're used to having no poop stink at all. The only thing that you need to be careful of is that the BG foods are not balanced meals so you can only use them occassionally. They just contain meat and water, which is not enough to keep a cat healthy in the long term. I work in a pet store and it is a royal pain trying to get customers to understand that. It does say it on the can somewhere around the AAFCO statement though.
[notify]

Oreo

Make it look- like the dog did- it

Purred: Tue Jan 27, '09 7:27pm PST 
Its a great food, in my opnion.
Angel, the cans are not completely balanced, the dry is.
[notify]

Isabelle

Do I smell- treats??

Purred: Tue Jan 27, '09 8:12pm PST 
Isabelle ate BG dry for a while. She loved the tuna flavor, which I guess she really shouldn't have eaten all the time since it's fish, but they also have a chicken flavor. I stopped because I thought she might be allergic to one of the ingredients, but turns out that wasn't the issue. So it'll probably rotate back into our schedule now and then for some variety. way to go
[notify]

Harley

Lets Go Bills!

Purred: Wed Jan 28, '09 8:49am PST 
wellness has a dry healthy weight formula which i believe has less calories - thats what im feeding now.

I feed the cats 2x (half cup for them to share at each meal) a day but Harley would always steal Jewels so now every other day i substitute one of the meals for a 3oz can of wellness which i divide equally for each of them and the wet seems to keep them fuller for longer and they dont seem to beg for food as much.

Hopefully at harleys next vet checkup they will say he is loosing weight. I wish i had a vet scale at home!

Once i switched him from the regular wellness to the healthy weight version and then started substituting in the wet food harley has a lot more energy and seems to want to play more
[notify]

Cricket

i luuuuvv- catnip!!

Purred: Wed Jan 28, '09 9:40am PST 
thanks for all the feedback! so far they seem to be doing really well on the wellness wet in the morning and the bg dry in the evening.  i had gotten a couple samples of the wellness dry, but they preffered the bg over that. i think i may rotate between the two however because i do really like wellness.
[notify]

Miss Tiny- Burr Burr

Love and adore.

Purred: Sat Jan 31, '09 5:45pm PST 
i like BG dry but it was lacking in a few things that made me a bit nervious to feed it alot. I havent really heard much feedback on this food so i dunno...
[notify]

Simone

I'm a cat- burgler,what's- your's is mine!

Purred: Mon Feb 2, '09 6:58am PST 
Oh I was just coming on here to get advice on a different food. I recently changed to the B.G., and although I hear it's an awesome food, my cats will not eat it. I have tried both the chicken, and the fish formulas, and they just walk away.

I changed from Wellness after viewing the Wellness warning video on you tube, and then checking all the animals food, as I buy both cat & dog! Turned out the video was true, and I was upset. I have been feeding Wellness for 5 yrs, I thought that would be the last food I would ever buy.

To add insult to injury poor Simone came down with kidney infection, and was in the hospital for 3 days, she came home, and started eating canned food, but still will not touch the dry.

I need some suggestions on a good food!!

Thanks in advance......
[notify]

Shadow

Education is the- Key

Purred: Mon Feb 2, '09 10:41am PST 
That is too bad about the Wellness dry food, this has happened with another company aswell.
If your cat has a kidney infection you do not want him on dry food anyway, so stick with the wet food, its better for them than dry food anyhow.way to go
The Wellness or Evo wet is good.
[notify]

Simone

I'm a cat- burgler,what's- your's is mine!

Purred: Mon Feb 2, '09 11:03am PST 
Thank you Shadow, I do plan on keeping her on the canned food for the duration of her antibiotics treatment, I spoke with the vet today, and we had talked about finding a dry food once she is well again.

Simone goes back to the vet on Feb 19 for more blood work, we'll see how she's coming along then, but soon after if all goes well the Vet & I were discussing what dry food would be best.

I just don't want the time to pass, and then have a mad panic looking for food lol!!
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2