GO!

Unhealthy OCD Habits - Plastic Chewing

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Winter

Mama\'s Boy

Purred: Sat Jan 10, '09 9:32pm PST 
When I first brought Winter home as a wee kitten, he showed an interest in plastic bags, but it was short lived and we passed it off as a kitten thing. After a while, he started up with his plastic obsession again. For the next 2 years he went through brief phases of chewing on plastic items (esp thick plastics like department store bags or plastic that encases packs of bottled water). The past year has been the worst. Not a single item of thick plastic-bag type material has been spared. try to keep all sources of it away from him when I can, but he always finds something. He recently chewed up one of those padded fedex mailing envelopes, the type with the plastic exterior. The entire thing was severely mangled with tooth marks. Yesterday, I found a bag from my school book store not only chewed up, but with blood on it too. He usually does his "work" at night. I have often woken up to the sound of krinkling plastic and stop him whenever I do. A few times, recently, he even jumped rather visiously on a piece of plastic right in front of me. That was the first time he's done so right in front of me like that.

Anyone have any similar experience or advice? Is this something we can correct or will I have to forever keep plastics out of his reach?
[notify]

Cleopatra- 8/4/96-7/18/- 13

Cleopatra~Queen- of de Nile

Purred: Sun Jan 11, '09 7:30am PST 
YIKES!!!!!

I would say definitely keep all plastic bags away from Winter. I wonder if Winter may be doing it out of boredom? Or, maybe he likes the sound that it makes?

Have you tried one of those tunnels/beds that crinkle? One thought I am thinking is that whenever you hear/see him going for a plastic bag, give him a stern NO! and remove him from the room for a few minutes. Doing this EVERY time will hopefully help him learn to stay away from plastic bags.

There may be others on here with better ideas. Good luck!
[notify]

Arthur

Purred: Tue Jan 13, '09 9:34am PST 
I love to eat plastic--especially plastic shopping bags! Mom has to hide those from me whenever possible. She does use them for trash can liners, but those she sprays with Bitter Apple spray and that seems to keep me from chewing on them.

I keep trying to explain to my Mom that plastic bags are yummy, but she says I can't eat them because they could cause a blockage in me and I'd have to go to the vet.
[notify]

Winter

Mama\'s Boy

Purred: Tue Jan 13, '09 10:12am PST 
My husband suggested we try some of that spray-type stuff. I might go ahead and try it. I suspect, though, that he's smart enough to go looking for plastic that smells good before he goes chewing on it. I can't possibly spray everything he could get into. He gets into the closet, in drawers, on high shelves and chews on anything that has a plastic-enough like texture. He doesn't actually eat any of it. He gnaws on it and leaves little teeth perferations all over, but it doesn't look like he eats much, if any of it.
[notify]

Mr. Sister - In Loving- Memory

I'm a Good Boy - I love my mommy

Purred: Tue Jan 13, '09 12:39pm PST 
I liked plastic too. Just put my teeth marks on stuff. Never ate it. Mom never knew why.

Nikolai - Dreamboat- #24

Sir Nikolai

Purred: Wed Jan 14, '09 8:47am PST 
I love to eat the plastic handles off shopping bags and then vomit it up. I love it so much, I immediately start knawing on bags the minute my moms bring the bags into the house. My moms say it is a very expensive habit because they've had to take me to the vet several times. My moms' solution has been to ban all plastic shopping bags from the house. There is a garbage bag in the kitchen trash can, that is it. All other shopping bags are stored in the garage. My moms said that if you find a better solution, please let them know. But please don't, because I really want to continue eating plastic.
[notify]

Jay

BAD KITTEN

Purred: Wed Jan 14, '09 1:41pm PST 
Wow, I thought Jay was the only cat that likes plastic! When we come home from shopping, he surrounds the plastic bags and chews on them. I don't know why he does it.
[notify]

Winter

Mama\'s Boy

Purred: Wed Jan 14, '09 3:17pm PST 
So I've noticed a trend with shopping bags. I didn't know they were so popular! Winter prefers more "gourmet" plastics. He never touches grocery store bags (those cheap plastic ones that most grocery stores use). And, again, he doesn't actually eat it. He chews on the thicker plastic bags like you'd get from Macy's. He also likes the thick bundled up plastic that is found at the corners of shrink rapped items (like cases of bottled water).

I haven't worried about it until now. It's always been more of a nuisance to me than a problem for him, simply because I haven't noticed him actually ingesting any of it. I am concerned now just because he seems to be chewing so much that his gums are bleeding from it. His gums appear healthy and he gets regular dental cleanings. He is due for another one, so maybe some minor gingivitis is setting in making the gums easily irritated from his habit.
[notify]

Nikolai - Dreamboat- #24

Sir Nikolai

Purred: Wed Jan 14, '09 4:44pm PST 
I like to knaw on more expensive bags, like bags from Ann Taylor Loft, too. But the plastic is too tough for me to ingest. You are awfully young for gingivitis but I think your mom is on the right track by talking to the vet at your next dental visit. hamster dance
[notify]

Rocky Ann- Forever

Hello Kitty

Purred: Wed Jan 14, '09 5:13pm PST 
I've read that alot of cats are attracted to plastic bags and I admit that I am one of them.

eek My experience...

When I was very young I got ahold of a plastic bag and the whole thing went in one end and came out the other end!! red face I was lucky no damage was done in between. Plastic bags can be very dangerous. I am not allowed near them.

There just seems to be something in the plastic material that really attracts cats. I HEAR a plastic bag and go running towards it!! Mommy makes sure (esp since the above incident) to keep them away from me. But she cannot put a plastic shopping bag or garbage bag down for one second or I am there. I will try to go after those envelopes and packing materials too.

I've received mail from other catsters with bites on the envelope. laugh out loud

Edited by author Wed Jan 14, '09 5:15pm PST

[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2