GO!

Lasix

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Pokey

Puppy trapped in- a kitten's body!

Purred: Wed Jan 7, '09 5:18am PST 
Pokey is on Lasix and Clavamox for his severe pneumonia (again!). Its so bad this time, the vet said he may need to be hospitalized and put on IVs, and have his lungs drained; if his breathing doesn't improve by Friday (the vet said to give it 48-72 hours to improve). He also got a Lasix shot and an antibiotic shot at the vet yesterday (Around 4:15 pm).

As a former pharmacy tech, I know that Lasix is a diuretic, and the vet has given Pokey 12.5 mg 2x a day because his lungs sounded like "a washing machine" according to the vet.

Now, since he's on this diuretic, he's supposed to be peeing and drinking more. I have not observed Pokey pee since yesterday (in his pet taxi at the vet no less), and he hasn't touched a drop of water (he has been hiding under the headboard since 7 pm last night, well he was until I dragged him out this morning for his lasix and clavamox cocktail at 6 this morning).

Yesterday after the vet, he was fine. He was back to normal, eating treats and head bonking and loving on everyone and everything in his path. Then at 6pm, he went back to being lethargic and just wanted to be left alone.

Any ideas on how to get some fluids into him? I hate to see him like this, but he isn't interested in anything, and our vet didn't recommend giving him water through a syringe, just said to put water out for him (his water bistro is always full anyway, but he has no interest in it). I'm worried about him being dehydrated!!! frown
[notify]

Hunter

Lazy, Lazy, Lazy

Purred: Wed Jan 7, '09 8:20am PST 
You need to get him back to the vet. At the very least call your vet (talk to a tech or the doctor) and get their recommendations.
[notify]

Frodo

Hobbit Kitty,- Mighty Hunter

Purred: Wed Jan 7, '09 11:32am PST 
Agreed. Is he feverish?
[notify]

Pokey

Puppy trapped in- a kitten's body!

Purred: Thu Jan 8, '09 10:58am PST 
He was very feverish. When we took him to the vet, Pokey had a temp of 103.

We have been giving him water through a syringe every 4 hours (as much water as he'll take, although he thinks its medicine!), and are still doing so even though now he has started drinking on his own again. Thank you so much for the advice! Pokey is now drinking somewhat on his own and using his cat box again, although he still won't eat. If this persists, I will be calling his vet tomorrow. It looks like he won't have to be hospitalized for his breathing since it has improved by 80% at least!
[notify]