GO!

Guess the breed of the shelter kitten?

If you are wondering what is the right cat for you, this is the place to be. In this introductory forum we talk about topics such as breed vs. mix, size, age, grooming, breeders, shelters, rescues as well as requirements for exercise, space and care. No question is too silly here. This particular forum is for getting and giving helpful, nice advice. It is definitely not a forum for criticizing someone else's opinion, knowledge or advice. This forum is all about purring and learning.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  

Purred: Mon Nov 24, '08 7:19am PST 
I'm looking at adopting this shelter kitten. Can you experts give me your opinion on what breed mix is most heavily represented in her? There is some debate among the shelter and vet staff. Here are a couple pics from my web album(is there a way to post here directly?):

http://web.me.com/shameless01/Site/Last_Viewed_Event. html#1

Edited by author Mon Nov 24, '08 7:49am PST

[notify]

Billie

Purred: Mon Nov 24, '08 9:29am PST 
I am Billie and the subject of the first post (after adding my photo). Can you help me theorize my lineage?
[notify]

DESERT

PICK ME !! PICK- ME!! TO BE PET!!

Purred: Mon Nov 24, '08 9:45am PST 
I Think a mix Norwegen.

but I could be wrong. She's beautiful though smile
[notify]

Oliver - In Loving- Memory

I'm Mom's- special knitting- helper!

Purred: Mon Nov 24, '08 12:29pm PST 
Could be Norwegian, or Maine Coon - it kind of looks like you have tufty ears and big feet, signs of MC.

You are gorgeous and hope you get to go home soon!
[notify]

Billie

Purred: Mon Nov 24, '08 3:37pm PST 
Thanks for the responses. She does not have lynx ear tufts but does have incredible swept-back fur coming about 2 inches out of her ears...I think they call it trim? Picture doesn't show it very well.
[notify]

Sable - ~Love you- Always~

Ride the Wild- Wind

Purred: Mon Nov 24, '08 4:00pm PST 
Domestic Longhair.
The majority of cats rescued from shelters, the street, as strays, ferals, etc. are Domestics - meaning they are mix breeds.
The term for this is Domestic, with shorthaired cats being called Domestic Shorthair and Longhair cats being Domestic Longhair.

Domestic Longhair (DLH for short) can have thick hair between the feet, ear tufts, etc. It is highly unlikely a rescued kitten would be Maine Coon or Norwegian Forest.

Cat breeds like Norwegian Forests are rare, and you won't find them in shelters, especially when they are rescued from elsewhere.

Edited by author Mon Nov 24, '08 4:01pm PST

[notify]

Billie

Purred: Mon Nov 24, '08 5:45pm PST 
I figured someone would give me the old "its a shelter mutt" bucket of water eventually.

Yes I understand that all mixed breeds are called either domestic longhairs or domestic shorthairs, but as with people or dogs they often show great resemblance to certain "pure" breeds from their family tree, which of course far enough back weren't pure either!

Just like figuring out your own mixed family tree I find it fun to chat and piece these things together smile

She is a dead ringer in some ways to norwegians I've seen online, and even some of the MCs.
[notify]

Gracie

I'm the baby,- gotta love me!

Purred: Mon Nov 24, '08 9:27pm PST 
What I don't get with these kinds of questions is why they are asked? Does it matter if your prospective new cat is half-MC or whatnot? Shouldn't it just matter that she's cute and hopefully a loving addition to your household?
[notify]

Billie

Purred: Mon Nov 24, '08 10:01pm PST 
Um, curiosity? I really like her look and had never heard of the breed her kennel labeled her as, along with the natural "mixed" tag. There is great history behind the breeds that make up a found cat and I enjoy imagining what that may be!!

BTW, gracie is cute as hell!

Edited by author Mon Nov 24, '08 10:03pm PST

[notify]

Billie

Purred: Mon Nov 24, '08 10:08pm PST 
One more thing, since I'm starting to get the "shut up" replies-

The shelter I found Billie at is an absolute model of how they should be. Clean, pleasant, lots of room and really caring staff. A joy to behold and very impressive. The Animal Rescue League deserves major kudos for the standards they have set in my area.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4