GO!

Recurring balding spine hair. Help!

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Rocko

The Mighty- Hunter

Purred: Tue Oct 21, '08 11:27pm PST 
For the past few months, I keep overgrooming my back until it's bald. I look like a skunk now with a bald stripe along my spine. My mum brought me to the vet for cortizone shots and every time it works, my hair grows back and i stop itching. But as soon as the shot wears off, I'm at it again.
The vet said it's a flea allergy pattern (no bald spots anywhere else) but my mum is so regular with my medicine. We used to use advantage but the vet said to try frontline. It still didn't work. My mum is worried that if she spends all her money for tests at the vet, they still won't find out what's wrong (it's possible, they said). Also, my food is premium and grain-free (Wellness Indoor Dry, Innova Evo Canned).
My mum has also tried lipiderm and cortizone spray, even medicated shampoo. Please help her before I go completely bald!
[notify]

Beatrice- (Miss You!- '94-'12)

The very Beast- of all

Purred: Tue Oct 21, '08 11:51pm PST 
If you're an indoor kitty, fleas aren't likely to be a big problem. thinking

I have psychogenic allopecia and overgroom my belly. Since my issue is psychological, there aren't many treatments that have helped. It does get worse when I'm under stress, though. Have there been any new sources of stress in your life lately, Rocko?

But I'm assuming that your issue is because of an allergy and not psychological (since you did respond to the steroid injections), has your vet considered longer-term treatment with steroids? I took prednisone (pills) every day for a while. It didn't help me but it could possibly help you. In case it was a contact allergy or food allergy, my vet also recommended a perfume-free litter and a limited ingredient/novel protein diet (in this case, Natural Balance Green Pea and Duck dry and/or the duck or venison wet, though I'm sure there are others).

Just a few ideas! Good luck, Rocko! Keep us posted!
hug

Edited by author Tue Oct 21, '08 11:55pm PST

Rocko

The Mighty- Hunter

Purred: Wed Oct 22, '08 12:50am PST 
Thanks for the advice! hmmm..maybe another trip to the vet is my only choice. Mum will ask about long term solutions. It's frustrating because I was fine before! And if the vet says fleas on more time, I'm going to hiss!
[notify]

Delyte, Dark- Angel, at- Bridge

Me and my- person, together- against all

Purred: Wed Oct 22, '08 10:09pm PST 
This is Delyte. Even though your food is good, you might try adding a tsp or so of omega-3 oil to your food. It's great for fur and is a natural anti-inflammatory. Worth a try! I overgroom on my belly which is very undignified in an older black cat. red face
[notify]

Beatrice- (Miss You!- '94-'12)

The very Beast- of all

Purred: Wed Oct 22, '08 11:56pm PST 
That's a good suggestion, Delyte! And I know what you mean. red face

Tweek

I'm Not Fat! I'm- Festively Plump!

Purred: Mon Nov 3, '08 11:32am PST 
I did this before we discovered I had diabetes. i also started to lose lots of muscle along my spine as well.

a blood sugar test is quick and easy, ask your vet for one just to be sure.
[notify]

Coco

Sweater Eater!- Nom!

Purred: Mon Nov 3, '08 12:09pm PST 
Say a cat DOES lick her belly bald because of stress... what do you do about it?! My cat does this. Her belly and the inside of one leg are bald. The vet said it's her nerves.
[notify]

DeeJay

Serve me and all- shall be well!

Purred: Tue Nov 4, '08 8:46pm PST 
I have the same problem except with my belly. But I have allergies too. I chew on myself constantly, sometimes even with the steroid shots. What has helped me is the Wellness Diet (I'm actually starting to grow some hair back), daily antihistamines, and the supplement "Missing Link". It's really helping me now. I also will chew on my back area when my anal glands are full and need expressing.
[notify]