GO!

Urinary Blockage related to Purina Indoor Cat Food? and will he be ok?? :(

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Marley

I AM Senor- Catpants!

Purred: Mon Sep 22, '08 1:16pm PST 
Hi there,

My little Marley, who's not even 2, is at the vet right now getting a catheter put in to relieve a urinary blockage. While surfing the net for reassurance, I came across two posts on a site that indicated that their cats experienced the same thing and that they were being fed Purina Indoor.

I was wondering if you happened to have a problem like this and if your kitty turned out all right AND, if your kitty experienced this while on Purina Indoor (dry and/or wet)
[notify]

Baby

Proud Mama's- Boy!!!

Purred: Mon Sep 22, '08 1:45pm PST 
I just had a blockage too, I was in the hospital for almost a week. We will be purring for you, keep us updated.
[notify]

Chubbs

I am the boss

Purred: Mon Sep 22, '08 2:52pm PST 
Hi,
I'm so sorry to hear about your little Marley. My cats (all three) have eaten Purina Indoor Cat for about a year and one-half. No problems so far but if you find anyone else who has please have them post!
[notify]

Lucy Belle

Action Speaks- Louder Than- Meows

Purred: Mon Sep 22, '08 5:22pm PST 
Hello,

The problem is not likely because of the brand of food but because you are feeding dry instead. Of course, IMHO, Purina is not better than your regular Meow Mix or Whiskas. You have to understand that dry food depletes your cat of essential moisture and because of a cat is not a natural water drinker, a dry diet mostly produces very concentrated urine.

If you are looking to change this, try feeding an exclusive wet diet, low carb, high protein and grain free. Good Luck to your kitty and hoping for a speedy recovery.
[notify]

Baby

i am a cutie- kitty

Purred: Tue Sep 23, '08 12:05am PST 
We are sorry to hear thar Marley is not feeling good, we are purring for a quick recovery. We also eat Purina Indoor Cat Food, but, we also get can too. No problems over here, talk to your vet about doing both, the dry is for them to snack on, also, to help clean the teeth too.wishes
[notify]

Khina

Don't breed or- buy when shelter- pets die

Purred: Tue Sep 23, '08 12:39am PST 
Baby, it's a myth that dry kibble helps clean teeth. That's as if your doctor told you to eat cookies to help clean your teeth! It's simply not true.

Many purrs that you'll get through this issue and figure out a good diet to prevent reoccurrence. Unfortunately this is an all too common problem nowadays.
[notify]

Tommy Rags

Ragstown, US of- A

Purred: Tue Sep 23, '08 3:11am PST 
Rags had the same experience and would have died with the urinary tract infection if not for my vet, who explained that the food had to much ash in it to feed to a neutered male cat. He put Rags on Hill's CD cat food and it's been three years without another occurrence.
[notify]

Abby

pet me, please!

Purred: Fri Jun 25, '10 12:10am PST 
My boyfriend's cat has this food and is supposedly fine (he's going to the vet soon). Mine, however, developed a UTI and has been pretty sick. She's on medication how. However, I will never let her eat this again.
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Fri Jun 25, '10 7:44am PST 
Hi Marley, Purina is major junky food! My poor mom didn't know any better at the time and I was eating canned, no dry, but it was junk! She's since learned sooooo much better. But what happened to me is that my IBD was on a fine line and I was doing okay until I ate Purina Pro Plan canned. Then all heck broke loose and my IBD flared up like a supernova! I got very sick after that and well, the rest is history. So I'd get the heck off that stuff. Grain free, grain, free, grain free. And yes, the amounts of ash in some of these foods are also way too high and can do a lot of damage. Check out the foods list on my mom's site. She lists the food company's website link so you can check the ingredients of each food! http://ibdkitties.net/Food.html.
[notify]

Natasha

Princess Forever

Purred: Fri Jun 25, '10 8:19am PST 
Yep! It it the dry food again....My daughter has her cat on it too. The vet told her that it was fine. It is scarey when they developed this because it is life threatening. My Ben had it twice. The vet never told me to stop with the dry food. I had to use wet c/d for most of his life. There is dry c/d....don't do it...Natasha developed UTI and has early kidney disease. Go for the wet all the time. It can stay out longer than you can believe. I like the Wellness wet because it has no grains in it. Get a water fountain too. They can't drink enough. He will be ok but he will hate the vet. Don't look online what they do to fix it.
He will recover. I also add more water on real dry days and to Natasha' s food....By the way, Ben lived a long life so will yours....Take care....By the way, have a re-check to make sure that everything is fine.....Sharon
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2