GO!

What Breed am I??

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Max

Purred: Sat Sep 6, '08 5:36am PST 
Well, Me, and my mom have been trying to find out what breed I am...
any ideas??
[notify]

Lola

Proud mother of- the Fab Four!

Purred: Sat Sep 6, '08 6:46am PST 
Fuzzy and cute as a button!
cloud 9
[notify]

Max

Purred: Sat Sep 6, '08 6:56am PST 
Thanks!
Do you know what BREED though??
[notify]

kaya skye

not fighting my- demons-we joined- forces

Purred: Sat Sep 6, '08 7:00am PST 
"Little Lamb who made thee?
Dost thou know who made thee?"

(Wm. Blake-Songs of Innocence)

seriously? if you're really as curly as you look in your forums pic, you might have some sort of Rex kitty (cornish or devon, not tyrannosaurus) in you...but i haven't gone to your page to get a better look, i need new glasses, and don't really know all that much anyway...but for what it's worthbig grinyou really do look like a lambwink
[notify]

Lola

Purred: Sat Sep 6, '08 7:06am PST 
Strictly speaking, without pedigree papers, you do not have a breed. You are what is referred to as a domestic long hair (because I think that kitten fuzz will develop into longish fur). You could be part Persian (lots of Persian in the gene pool) and you could be part Maine Coon (an indigenous cat, so also a lot of Maine Coon genes floating around). You do not have a smushed Persian face, but your face could be related to the so-called "doll-face" Persians often sold in pet stores. Or it could be the result of interbreeding with a moggy. Your face could also be that of a Maine Coon mix kitten. Your color, however, is intriguing. You look more like a cameo (creamy orange tabby) than a regular orange tabby--a color that is not as common as regular orange. Among purebred cats, Persians and Maine Coons are among those who come in the greatest variety of colors, including creamy orange. So, quick answer: you have no breed, BUT compared to your family members, you seem to have some kind of breed in your fairly recent genetic history.
[notify]

Aragorn (In- Memory)

One Cool Cat

Purred: Sat Sep 6, '08 5:28pm PST 
Max, if you need to know what breed to list yourself on your Catster page, you can say Persian for the first choice and "unknown" as the second choice, just like I did. If someone asks your purrson what breed you are, your purrson can say "Persian-mix". way to go

I have to agree, though, you are a "cutie". wink

Purrs and Peace,
Aragorn

Max

Purred: Sun Sep 7, '08 7:21am PST 
Thanks everyone!
I thought I was part persian as well!
Any other opinions??
[notify]

In Loving- Memory of- Malik

The Scaredy Cat

Purred: Sun Sep 7, '08 4:12pm PST 
You're pretty big for two months old!!!

Have you considered Maine coon or any of the other bigger breeds?
[notify]

Lola

Purred: Sun Sep 7, '08 5:07pm PST 
Sometimes it's hard to tell with a kitten. If you can stand the suspense, send in some more photos (full face, full body, profile, tail, etc.) in a few more months, and we'll take another stab at it! We Catsters live for this kind of mystery!

Personally, I think you look more like a MC mix than Persian; both are statistically likely (because MC genes have been in American cats for centuries, and because Persians have been common in the U.S. since at least the mid 20th century). Also, I know a lot more about MCs than Persians, so I'm not really up on what Persian kittens look like or their color variations. A cameo/cream tabby is more likely to be an MC; but then, we're assuming you're a mix, so anything goes.

Anyway, post again with a lot of photos, and we'll all try once more to solve the mystery! (Not that it's ever really SOLVED, but at least we can get some ideas.)
[notify]

Lola

Purred: Sun Sep 7, '08 6:34pm PST 
Well, Max, I took another look at your set of photographs. Although your ears are rather small and set far apart for a Maine Coon, this is not uncommon in MC kittens. To me, your weight, the length of your tail, your big feet, your almond shaped eyes (Persians and most moggies have round eyes), the shape of your face, and especially the squareness of your muzzle, all point to MC rather than Persian or pure old generic moggy heritage. I thought of the possibility of Norwegian Forest Cat because of your small ears, but somehow your facial configuration doesn't strike me as consistent with NFC heritage. Regarding Persians, aside from having round eyes and a less pronounced muzzle than Maine Coons or ordinary DLHs, Persians also have shorter, less flamboyant tails than MCs, and shorter bodies (a true MC has a very long torso).

I am interested in this topic because I exhibit MCs at shows, and one of the most challenging aspects of acquiring a new kitten is to be able to predict how it's going to develop as an adult cat (that is, whether it's champion material or not). I still haven't really developed my "kitten-reading" skills. I will say this, however--from my experience so far with looking at long haired kittens and how they develop, you're almost certain to become a VERY fluffy cat when you grow up--long haired cats get fluffier as they grow older. You're cute as a button now, but you're going to be a stunner when you grow up. So send in those pictures!

And, a word of advice: since you're still just a baby, have your Human get you used to being groomed with a metal comb and being bathed occasionally while you're still too young to know what's going on. Long haired cats cannot keep themselves looking their best all by themselves. And, if your owner isn't doing it already, getting you used to nail clipping early in life is another must.

kitty
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2