GO!

I am in renal failure

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Liberty

August 2002-May- 2010. I AM- MISSED!

Purred: Fri Aug 1, '08 3:32pm PST 
I have a massive infection so we can't be sure how bad.

I need a new food. Mommy wants me on wet. It needs to be fish free. Also, are there in groups here for cats like me?
[notify]

Shadow

Education is the- Key

Purred: Fri Aug 1, '08 4:26pm PST 
Oh Liberty I am so sorry to hear that you are sick, please get better,
cry
Here is a very good site that will help you with all your questions,
go to itchmoforums.com and there is a section in there where they discuss CRF. Im sure there is a yahoo group for it aswell, I just find it hard to read all the different emails in those yahoo groups.
Liberty needs to be on a high protein wet diet now, do not go for those prescription diets as they restrict the protein,even causing more problems. The more protein you have though, the more phosphorous, so you will need a phosphorous binder, or cooked egg white added to the food. Now your bun levels will be higher, but this is normal for cats on a high protein diet.
Hope you get better soon.
Some canned foods are the Wellness or Evo, they have high protein.
Praying for you purrs.

Here is another site that will tell you about CRF that you can copy and paste into your address bar.

http://www.all-about-cats.com/renal_failure.htm

Edited by author Fri Aug 1, '08 4:38pm PST

[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Fri Aug 1, '08 5:10pm PST 
Here are two web sites on CRF:

http://www.felinecrf.com/
http://www.felinecrf.org/
[notify]

Mara and- Malaika- (twins!)

We love twins!

Purred: Fri Aug 1, '08 5:46pm PST 
Liberty,

The www.felinecrf.org site is awesome -- when Malaika was first diagnosed, it quickly answered SO many questions that our Mom had, and is extremely user friendly.

Changes will need to be made, but please make sure that it is all done with guidance from your vet. Your diet needs to be low in protein (not high) as the protein in the diet makes the kidneys work harder, and the key with this disease is to not tax the kidneys. There are special prescription renal diets that you can purchase (both dry as well as canned, although canned is best since it has more moisture). Your vet should also advise you as to which phosphorous binder will work best for you -- there are a few different forms, one of which -- Alternagel -- is available OTC. This will make you feel a lot better as it binds with the toxins to flush out of your system. Your Mom might also wish to speak with your vet about sub-cutaneous fluids -- they're easy to administer at home once your Mom learns how (the vet or one of the techs should be able to show her). Keeping hydrated -- both through oral consumption as well as sub-q administration is critical in helping your kidneys to keep the waste flushing through your system.

We're here for you, Liberty and are sending lots of purrs your way!

Purrrrrrrrr...M&M
[notify]

♥- Suey- ♥

Loved

Purred: Fri Aug 1, '08 5:47pm PST 
Liberty, we are purring like crazy for you. Please get well soon, sweet girl.
[notify]

Liberty

August 2002-May- 2010. I AM- MISSED!

Purred: Fri Aug 1, '08 5:55pm PST 
I am already on Sub-q fluids. I am allergic to fish. Mommy does not know what do about my diet. My digestive system shuts down when I eat fish!
[notify]

Mara and- Malaika- (twins!)

We love twins!

Purred: Fri Aug 1, '08 6:33pm PST 
We're guessing that you're referring to fish-based canned cat food (as opposed to fish like canned tuna, etc.), which vets advise that a cat with CRF avoid. Again -- if you are able to get a prescription renal diet, the canned food won't have fish. Fish is entirely too high in protein for a cat with CRF to break down properly, so it's best that you avoid it anyway. The prescription renal diets tend to be chicken-based, which is better for the kidneys. Keep us posted, ok?
[notify]

Khina

Don't breed or- buy when shelter- pets die

Purred: Fri Aug 1, '08 7:07pm PST 
Liberty, we are so sorry to hear you are ill. Please do as much research as you can so that you can make an informed decision.

It is not true that you should eat low protein food. Kitties are designed to eat a high protein and high fat diet. Low protein food means that you will be eating more carbs than your body is designed to do. You cannot properly digest carbs and this will lead to more problems than renal failure.

We just talked about this in another thread. I will see if I can find it and post a link for you, okay?
[notify]

Khina

Don't breed or- buy when shelter- pets die

Purred: Fri Aug 1, '08 7:14pm PST 
Her e it is!
[notify]

Shadow

Education is the- Key

Purred: Fri Aug 1, '08 7:20pm PST 
I guess there are 2 school of thought here when it comes to nutrition for CRF. Many vets are now becoming aware of protein restricted diets, and this information is outdated. This is how they treated Dogs CRF, but for cats its different. Protein does not "burn out" the kidneys, as commonly believed. Cats are carnivores, period! limiting their protein only decreases its ability to stabalize and recover. That is why a phosphorous binder is needed, and still allows for a high protein diet. They can also start a calcitriol supplementation. Your vet also may recommend Benazepril an ACE inhibitor for blood pressure, and Erythropoietin for anemia.
A cat on protein restricted diets cannot repair its body or have enough energy to meet its needs. There has never been any Scientific studies showing long term benefits from a reduction of protein. Cats get CRF from these low protein/high carb foods in the first place.
All this info I am talking about comes from a vet who I highly regard, and has gone beyond just vet school and has taken many nutritional courses. I may add too, has had many recoveries from this disease.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3