GO!

Wellness CORE, BLUE Wilderness, or Innova Evo?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Atrus

Fluff butt

Purred: Sat Jul 26, '08 8:11pm PST 
These three foods seem fairly comparable. If you had to pick, which would you recommend? Atrus gets about half dry, half canned right now and is on Blue Buffalo's canned and kitten dry, but I would like to know what to switch him to once he is older (or maybe after this current bag is getting low, since all of these are all life stages food, I think). He will continue to get about half of his calories from canned, but we are both professionals so our schedules sort of necessitate him having access to dry food. These three foods all seem pretty similar, so while there are plenty of reasons to recommend any of them over another food, I don't know if there is any good way to distinguish between them.
[notify]

Rasha

On the Prowl....

Purred: Sat Jul 26, '08 8:57pm PST 
Rasha and Cheetah really love their EVO dry when they get it. I mix Instinct and EVO and they usually prefer the EVO over the Instinct. I guess it has a better taste or smell. thinking

All three food companies got 6/6 stars on dogfoodanalysis.com so you know they are all 3 very comparable. I think what it boils down to is what Atrus likes and is willing to eat and do well on. Usually the kitties make the decisions for us when we can't decide! wink
[notify]

Shadow

Education is the- Key

Purred: Sat Jul 26, '08 11:00pm PST 
Wasnt Blue Buffalo on the recall??
Id go with Evo
Wellness Core second as it seems quite fishy.
[notify]

Philbert

Snort!

Purred: Mon Jul 28, '08 9:27am PST 
I just put Phil on EVO. i feel like I've gotten the most recommendation for it as well as it having pretty low carbs (I read 7% somewhere, but I could be very wrong. I heard that under 10% was acceptable) and it has the post protein for a dry food (50%). I can find i at all my local pet stores and can get many sizes and it doesn't break the bank.
[notify]

obi wan cat- nobi, in- memoriam

Purred: Mon Jul 28, '08 10:51am PST 
our kittens eat evo (both canned and dry) and love it. neither of them has had a single hairball yet. the older cats eat evo dry and regular innova or california natural canned. for some reason, they don't like the evo canned. hairballs are very rare, and neither of them (ages 9 and 3) have had any health problems.

my friend's vet recommended evo for her kitty riley's stomach problems (excessive vomiting) and that did the trick. i've heard fantastic things about wellness as well, we stick to the innova brands for price and availability.
[notify]

Atrus

Fluff butt

Purred: Mon Jul 28, '08 11:21am PST 
BLUE Wilderness is probably what is most easily readily available for me right now. I think Core and Evo both have 50% protein and Blue Wilderness has 45%. Atrus really seems to like Blue Buffalo's kitten food, and I don't know how similar Wilderness might taste, so I don't know if it would be easier to switch him to that or Core or Evo. Core and Evo are also both appropriate for all life stages, but I'm not sure about Wilderness, I'm not sure if that info is on their website but I might call them to find out. Blue is also the most convenient for me to buy, since it is at PetSmart (even if that is 50miles away from where we are currently). I know there's obviously a ton of difference between these three foods and say, something with CORN as the first ingredient, but I'm not sure if there's enough difference within these three to switch him off of the brand he's currently on.
[notify]

Philbert

Snort!

Purred: Mon Jul 28, '08 3:32pm PST 
You're totally right with that. I just had a post in how crazy I was getting about nutrition and food for Phil, when what's the most important is that your kitty is happy and healthy and is eating well and you're happy with what he's eating.

Switching foods can be stressful, and I feel like it's making Phil finicky. Like he knows if he doesn't eat something right away, I'll get him something new. And i think he hopes to do this until I give him some of Clawdia's Friskies haha thats a no go! Go with what will work for you and your kitty brood smile Don't become a crazy like me!
[notify]

Pancho

i ♥- cuddling!

Purred: Mon Jul 28, '08 5:34pm PST 
Just so you are aware Wilderness is not grain-free. It contains oatmeal. It is still a good food, however.

I have fed EVO in the past and find it to be excellent. However, my pocketbook is a little too small for it right now.
[notify]

Mooch

The Tiny 4- Parade!

Purred: Mon Jul 28, '08 9:16pm PST 
One more thing about EVO dry, I can't be certain that this is what caused it, but there's a chance that it caused all 4 of my cats to become constipated.

(I've read the opposite - that some cats tend to get diarrhea on it.)

But it is supposed to be very good, so if you do decide to try EVO dry, just be looking for that possibility.
[notify]