GO!

Help new kittens don't like me or my Boyf!

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Lucas

Feed me... now- die!

Purred: Sat May 17, '08 6:58am PST 
Just wondering if anyone has any advice on how to gain our new kitty's trust! They've been settled in their new home for a couple of hours and one was sick on the way home and took longer to come out of her carrier but after leaving them to play and just sitting with them not touching for over an hour, they show no sign of wanting to interact with me and when I have touched their back after letting them sniff my hand they lower their back in a "get off me fashion". I don't think they've been handled much in the shelter where they came from and their 8 weeks now! Any advice?
[notify]

Nuk Anuk

Couching Tiger

Purred: Sat May 17, '08 7:45am PST 
Let the new kittens initiate interactions for the first week or two. “You will need to go especially slow if they are or skittish. . Don’t attempt to pick up or touch the cat if it is not comfortable with your doing so. Accept whatever amount of contact the kittens are willing to offer and gradually work from there.

You can try to coax the kittens out of their shyness by offering food treats. Sit down in the same room as the kittens, toss a food treat in their direction and wait for them to grab it. Next, toss a treat a little closer to you, then closer and closer until finally you are simply placing the treat on your lap or hand. But take your time doing this: Depending on how timid they are, it may take several weeks until the cat is comfortable taking food treats from your hand.

Taag (although an adult) when we adopted her, was very very slow at this. Honestly, it took months for her acclimate to our home, and our daily routine.
[notify]

Boris

I'm cute and I- know how to use- that :)

Purred: Sat May 17, '08 8:17am PST 
Very good advice, Nuk.

Let them get acclimated to their home first. They will seek you out later. With two, they might keep to each other until one of them gets brave and curious about the humans. If you watch them play, that's a great opportunity to bond with them, so join in.

Don't play with your hands or feet, though. You don't want the kitties to think of either as toys. If you haven't one yet, buy a cat dancer or a feather wand. They're really good to use so you can play with a cat while giving him/her space. Once they're happy and tired from play, you can maybe stroke their head, but not too long at first.
[notify]

Cleopatra- 8/4/96-7/18/- 13

Cleopatra~Queen- of de Nile

Purred: Sat May 17, '08 9:34am PST 
You have gotten some good advice. I suggest just giving them some time- they are probably scared.

Try keeping them in a smaller room for a few days, and let them initiate contact as they grow accustomed to you and their new surroundings. Talk to them often and offer treats and toys.

Congrats on the new babies!
[notify]

Pete- Fountain

So happy to have- a safe and- loving home!

Purred: Sat May 17, '08 9:56am PST 
First......BLESS YOU for getting kittens from a shelter and giving them a good home. They are babies, and new to you and your home.....as others have said, they just need time.

Before you know it, they will be little love bugs.....keep us posted.

Pete Fountain, Emma Barrett, Louis Armstrong & Benny Grunch

'THE POWER OF PURR FOR MORE ADOPTIONS"
[notify]

Lucas

Feed me... now- die!

Purred: Sat May 17, '08 2:37pm PST 
Thanks guys for the advice! They are acting more confident in our presence every time we go in to see them. Unfortunately with it being the only bathroom, I do have to pick them up and put them in the carrier (which they like to sleep in) when we need use said bathroom, but it really is the safest and most wipe clean area (free of nooks and cables) in the house, with lots of things to play with and on! Firefly has had a bit to eat now and is coming out of herself a little but they are both attracted to hiding behind the toilet and I believe they are sat there right now huddled together! So it seems we should just leave them in the bathroom then for a few days to acclimatise before letting them investigate the living room on an evening where we are? How many days do you think we should do this for and when i do try introducing them else-where, what about the litter tray and food?
[notify]

Sweets

Itty Bitty- Pretty One =)

Purred: Mon May 19, '08 10:02pm PST 
It's been a couple of days? How are you doing?

The kittens will 'tell you' when they are ready to explore more of the house. Be prepared they may still hide (Taag thought she was ready to explore through the house, but then was overwhelmed by the size of it)

The general rule for litter boxes is 1 per cat +1
But if both are using the same box without problems, or you have limited space - you can maybe get away with 1.

Setting up your litter box should be in a location that gets not alot of human traffic (it's important that they feel they have some privacy when doing bathroom business)
Show them where the new location is - they'll remember it.

For the food and water bowls set them in a location far enough away from the litter box - no one likes to eat or drink near their bathroom.
They'll learn the food and water locations too.
(On Nuk's recent return from 3 and a half days in the hospital - the FIRST thing he checked was "Is my food and water bowl still right where I remember them?")

Kittens are pretty curious by nature, they will fast get the idea that they are *home* and start to explore their territory.
Enjoy bonding with them, watching them grow and watching their personalities unfold with you.

Play time with a human controlled toy with them should also get them used to the idea that 'you are fun' - but I think somebody already mentioned that.
[notify]

BRUCE (THE- BOSS)

Born to Run &- Born to Moo Boo

Purred: Mon May 19, '08 11:10pm PST 
Good Luck, and some great advice posted.

Me and my sister Bobbie didnt like Mum and Dad at first either, we would hide away from them, it broke Mums heart, but it didnt take long or us to realise how much they loved us. We now have the best furever home anycat could ask for.

Keep us posted on the progress way to go

Rori

Diva, and Lady- of the House

Purred: Sun May 25, '08 10:23am PST 
When introducing them to the rest of the house, make sure at first to have litterboxes in the main rooms. Sometimes kittens forget until it's almost too late and don't make it to the box in time.
[notify]