GO!

Feeding A Five Week Old Kitten

Got a new, young, furry love in your life? This is the place for you to ask all of your questions - big or small! Just remember that you are receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers... not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a vet or behaviorist! Most important is to remember to have fun with your new fur baby.

Stottlemeyer- (In Memory- Of)

Stottlemeyer - I'm bringing- sexy back

Purred: Sun May 11, '08 4:39pm PST 
Hi everyone...I posted earlier today about the blind kitten I rescued..another question I have about it...she is only 5 weeks old...I have been giving her a small can of Purina Pro Plan Kitten food twice a day...does this sound appropriate? I have never had a kitten this young before. She doesn't seem to eat dry food yet.

Sincerely,
April (Stottlemeyer's Mommy)
[notify]

Blackie

Mmmmm Money

Purred: Wed May 14, '08 7:54pm PST 
Purrrrrs to you for rescueing a blind kitten. I dont know anything about feeding kittens but best wishes from us.
[notify]

QUINCY

I've never met a- kitten I didn't- like

Purred: Wed May 14, '08 9:02pm PST 
If she is eating the food and seems to be thriving and growing, then it is fine. Five weeks is a little young to be fully weaned, but when they no longer have a mother around, they learn to eat solid food faster. It is good you are feeding her kitten brand. Let her eat as much as she wants - I don't know if 2 cans is enough or just right for her. Don't worry about her not eating dry yet. They don't have all their teeth until they are 6 wks. old and some don't eat dry even then. You can try to soften up some kitten kibble with water or milk in the future and offer it to her or you can buy something called "Baby Cat" made by Royal Cannin. It is tiny kibble and is real expensive.
I am fostering a 7-8 wk. old kitten right now who is capable of eating kibble but refuses. He screams and screams until I give him can food. And he is only getting a can and a half a day of the smaller kitten food cans!! I have tried kitten chow, baby cat, and science diet kitten with him, and he just refuses to eat. My goal is to have him eating kibble in the next week and a half so I can adopt him out. I don't think anyone is going to want a kitten who will only eat canned.laugh out loud
[notify]

Stottlemeyer- (In Memory- Of)

Stottlemeyer - I'm bringing- sexy back

Purred: Thu May 15, '08 2:24am PST 
Thank you guys...well these are tiny cans I am giving my kitten (Wee Gray) too...the Purina Pro Plan cans are small and she doesn't eat all of it.

Sincerely,
April (Stottlemeyer's Mommy)
[notify]

*Tiggy* ~ In- Loving- Memory~

~

Purred: Sun May 18, '08 7:55pm PST 
When I wus real little and had digestive problems, ma Mimi give us baby food(meats) and/or mix wif' my wet food. I was never able to get big due to a congenital disorder, but the baby food helped me get stronger. Further, ma Mimi uses this recipe when any of us kits
get sick which is rarely. It works great fer little kitties suffering end-stage terminal diseases assoc. wif' cancer, HIV and kitties wif colds and sore throats.kitty
[notify]