GO!

Tiger Ranch

This is a special section for cats needing new homes and for inspiring stories of cats that have found their furever home through Catster or through the love and energy of rescuers. This is also the place to discuss shelters, rescue organizations, rescue strategies, issues, solutions, etc. and how we can all help in this critical endeavor. Remember that we are all here for the love of cat! If you are posting about a cat that needs a new home, please put your location in the topic of your thread so those close by can find you! Make sure to check out Catster's cat adoption center!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
ANGEL- CHARLIE- (1996-2009)

Char Char Luar

Purred: Wed May 7, '08 8:33am PST 
I want to get others opinions on the problems at the Tiger Ranch in Western Pennsylvania.

I recently spoke with a woman who said she was a freind to the Owner to the Tiger Ranch and asked if I could help (or know someone that could help)get the cats back to the Owner. At first when I e-mailed her I though it was about another shelter but to find out it wasnt. In good conscious after viewing as much as I could on the investigation I couldn't do it. There was too much riding against the Owner - she might have had good intentions in taking care of the cats but with the overload of cats surrendered to her the care for the cats got away from her. Also the woman I spoke with during our conversation spoke about her cat (a stray she is caring for) and I asked her if she had it spayed/neutered and she said" no it was a male and didnt need to be". After that I was appalled - this is where the overload in "no-kill" and shelters alike start having their problems. I am really upset after that phone call do to the fact she was more concerned about that womans farm (Tiger) and not concentrating on her own cats (the ones that need to be fixed).

I just wanted to get other opinions on this whole Tiger Ranch deal. Here is a link to undercover videos (Please be advised some of the videos are graffic) http://tigerranchrescue.info/?page_id=8

I love cats as much as the rest of you and dont wish anything bad for that Owner (Tiger) but something truly was not right there.

Thank you for hearing me vent.

Sincerely,
Charlie's Mom & Gang
[notify]

Sky

Little Prissy- Timid Booty Girl

Purred: Wed May 7, '08 10:59am PST 
This is a horrible situation and the woman does not need these cats back. Some people think that they are really helping the animals but they are not. It is too much responsibility and work and the situation ends up like Tiger Ranch. I'm sure her intentions were good at one time but not now. Spaying/neuter is the only way to help the cat population end so that they can be cared for properly.

Most likely most of the cats rescued from Tiger Ranch had to be put down.

You are a concerned animal lover so I would tell the woman who approached you she should get some help for her friend.

Hope I'm not being to forceful or offend you.

Little Red- (Angel- 6/11/12)

Red-Headed- Stepchild

Purred: Wed May 7, '08 11:58am PST 
Mommy was googling and found someting interesting.
This is an old post on some messageboard from 2006. Somebody was posting how thrilled they are to be dumping a load of cats off at Tiger Ranch.

http://community.cnhi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9801031/m/30710358/ p/161

(Scroll about halfway down, comment inblue box and username SJR)

I'll be willing to bet this is one reason that TR got out of hand. (I'm not taking up for TR at all, btw.) The attitude of the poster just stinks...and the comment is under the thread "What made you smile today".
cry

Little Red
[notify]

ANGEL- CHARLIE- (1996-2009)

Char Char Luar

Purred: Wed May 7, '08 12:45pm PST 
here is a letter just received from the ASPCA to me today:

Thank you for contacting the ASPCA about the cats at Tiger Ranch. We share your concern for the 8-12 million animals at risk in our nation's shelters. It is especially troubling when animals in the safe haven of a shelter are suffering. Some of this is the result of the poor funding of shelters that are trying to humanely care for the irresponsibility of society. We are grateful that caring people like you do whatever they can to help.

The ASPCA is proud that we were able to support the efforts of the Pennsylvania SPCA with our three mobile veterinary clinics, including our Mobile Animal Crime Scene Investigation Unit, and our staff, in this extraordinary effort. Although the ASPCA is a national organization, our humane law enforcement authority is limited to New York State. The Pennsylvania SPCA is the lead agency and is working with the Allegheny County District Attorney's Office on the case.

We, like you, recognize that Ms. Bruno and Tiger Ranch were trying to help animals, however, it was the current condition of the animals that required the actions taken, and there was more than enough evidence to have the judge issue the search warrant. The pictures of the animals and the facility tell the tale well enough. The concern of the 120+ individuals responding was that the animals be taken to safety and treated. The courts, not the ASPCA or the PSPCA, will decide how best to resolve the situation and whether what was observed and documented is cruelty under the law. The case is currently in the court system and we hope that the full story will be told, and justice will be served so that this type of tragedy does not occur.
We encourage anyone that is considering the surrender of their animals to a shelter visit the facilities, look over their financial statement, speak with the management and discuss long-term care of their animals. Hoarding is a serious issue and if you would like more information, you can go to this website. http://www.tufts.edu/vet/cfa/hoarding

Thank you for caring and sharing your concerns. We encourage you to consider supporting your local animal shelter's efforts to help find loving homes for homeless pets. And, thank you for your support of the ASPCA's mission.

Sincerely,

Lanie Anton, ASPCA
National Outreach Internet Manager
189 Berdan Avenue, #407, Wayne, NJ 07470
Email: laniea@aspca.org
Phone: 212-876-7700, ext. 4701
973-628-9494 Fax: 973-686-0173
www.ASPCApro.org

Sir/Madam,

I recently spoke with a woman(who contacted me via a cat/owner website - CATSTER.COM) who said she was a friend to the Owner to the Tiger Ranch and asked if I could help (or know someone that could help) get the cats back to the Owner. At first when I e-mailed her I though it was about another shelter but to find out it wasn't. In good conscious after viewing as much as I could on the investigation I couldn't do it. There was too much riding against the Owner - she might have had good intentions in taking care of the cats but with the overload of cats surrendered to her the care for the cats got away from her. Also the woman I spoke with during our conversation spoke about her cat (a stray she is caring for) and I asked her if she had it spayed/neutered and she said" no it was a male and didn't need to be". After that I was appalled - this is where the overload in "no-kill" and shelters alike start having their problems. I am really upset after that phone call do to the fact she was more concerned about that woman's farm (Tiger) and not concentrating on her own cats (the ones that need to be fixed).

I am writing you and letting you know this cause apparently some people are blind to the severity of the animal conditions at the Tiger Ranch - Maybe a somewhat detailed write up on your website of what is being done for those animals that were rescued could help others (like the woman I spoke with) could understand better.

Thank you for your attention.
[notify]

Sky

Little Prissy- Timid Booty Girl

Purred: Wed May 7, '08 5:01pm PST 
Well hopefully the courts will take care of this matter - we hope so for the animals sake.

The suffering of these animals is horrible.

Thanks you for caring. If everyone put forth some effort maybe these situations could be controlled before they get to this point.

I worked on an abuse case with the ASPCA for one year. It is very frustrating but when you get results it makes you smile you saved maybe just one of God's beautiful creatures.

Boxie Brown- Forever

Boxie B.- with a- goatee!!

Purred: Wed May 7, '08 5:58pm PST 
Charlie you are right to listen carefully and share your concerns and attempt to resolve them. As I understand it a lot of the problem was that Tiger Ranch "allowed cats to die naturally" instead of euthanizing them when this was going to be best for the kitty, for some kitties this meant they slowly starved to death. What a terrible way to go. I too agree she may have had good intentions in the beginning, things quickly got out of hand. What she did was a crime and I hope that she is punished to the fullest extent of the law. She has shown no remorse for her crimes.

Edited by author Wed May 7, '08 5:58pm PST

[notify]

Lucius Cornelius

I'm a survivor

Purred: Wed May 7, '08 6:15pm PST 
Under absolutely NO circumstances should the person or persons who were in charge of Tiger Ranch EVER get custody of any animal again.

Their intentions may have started out good, but the poor cats had to pay the price.

Even if the situation was borderline, I would have to vote "no" for the sake of the animals. It seems in this case.....There were just too many cats in such bad shape for there to be ANY question.

If anyone gives up any animal to a shelter....PLEASE inspect the place....see the condition of the other animals....don't turn a blind eye just to "be rid of" a problem....look with your heart and remember that animals can feel pain too.

These animal concentration camps have got to stop.
[notify]

Sunbeam- California- aka Sunny

Lets Go Pens!!

Purred: Wed May 7, '08 6:28pm PST 
The owner of Tiger Ranch is going to trial for 208 counts of cruelty to animals (misdemeanor) and 385 summary counts of cruelty.

Mommy was very upset when this place was raided as she almost...almost left me their. I was found feral on the city streets. Mommy didn't think there was enough room and drove up there to leave me their. Fortunately mommy did not like what she saw. She couldn't not leave me there. She took me and eventually my brother, Beamer, in. We have lived happily ever after ever since. Mommy still thinks about the other kitties she met there.

Purrs Sunny
[notify]

Sunbeam- California- aka Sunny

Lets Go Pens!!

Purred: Wed May 7, '08 6:29pm PST 
The owner of Tiger Ranch is going to trial for 208 counts of cruelty to animals (misdemeanor) and 385 summary counts of cruelty.

Mommy was very upset when this place was raided as she almost...almost left me their. I was found feral on the city streets. Mommy didn't think there was enough room and drove up there to leave me their. Fortunately mommy did not like what she saw. She couldn't not leave me there. She took me and eventually my brother, Beamer, in. We have lived happily ever after ever since. Mommy still thinks about the other kitties she met there.

Purrs Sunny
[notify]

Smokie

Love to give- kisses!!!

Purred: Wed May 7, '08 10:05pm PST 
Hi, I have rescued cats for 23 years on my own. the first thing I do is get the males nutered. Then I get the girls spayed. Spay and Nuter is my mantra!!!! Nutering males cuts down on the spraying usually, and the agressiveness. I didn't go look at the pictures, I have alot of trouble right now and that would out me over the edge. I love cats and do the best I can for them. I find it hard to believe that someone would not realize the error of that attitude. Spay and Nuter Folks!!!
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2