GO!

Moving from Australia to the USA

This forum is dedicated to places that people and cats can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your cat, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Catster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Catster.

Spooky

Spookster

Purred: Sun Apr 27, '08 12:33am PST 
We are moving the family, me and my sister chihuahua, Lupita from Cairns Australia to the USA in August 2009.

I have been quoted from 'Dogtainer' in Cairns a cost for just Lupita of $1,800!

I understand there is no quarantine period for myself or Lupita when travelling from Australia to the USA, but is the cost he quoted me reasonable?
[notify]

Smokey

I am the QUEEN!

Purred: Mon Apr 28, '08 4:53am PST 
We moved from the US to South Africa. My mommy got quotes from Pet Moving companies that were around $2000 for 2 cats. This was about 2 years ago. My mommy decided to go it alone and it was wayyyyyyy cheaper, maybe around $400-450 for the 2 of us. The only reason we would go with a company would be if flight connections are involved or you can't be on the same flight and need someone on either end to take care of things for you.We took a direct flight so there was no chance of us getting lost in transit. My mommy was on the same flight with us and checked us in on one side and picked us up on the other side.

Call your airline and ask them how to do this. It shouldn't be all that difficult. Make sure you know what paperwork you need on either side, if you need to book a kennel or something. Definitely get the vaccinations and the microchip in order. Also, have plenty of contact phone numbers on each side in case you need to call someone for information. Good luck!!
[notify]

Salem

I dream that I- will be boss one- day!

Purred: Fri Oct 17, '08 10:59am PST 
Hi Smokey!! How did your move go.. I'm looking to relocate my cats from Singapore to the US...
[notify]