GO!

Does anyone have info on EVO's lawsuit?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  
Rasha

On the Prowl....

Purred: Mon Mar 31, '08 1:03pm PST 
I have heard a few times that EVO is being sued for "false advertising". I looked it up but I only found one website with very minimal info. I feed my cats all EVO's products, all the different varieties of cans and their dry food mixed with NV. I spend all of my money on this food because for the longest time I have believed that it is the best that money could buy. I don't have a lot of money and the cats get at least a can of EVO a day running anywhere from $1.50- $2.00 or more per can.

Can anyone provide me with information on this lawsuit?? Anything?? I have had SUCH BAD LUCK with other foods on the market making them sick and EVO has been my life saver. I really hope that this isn't true. eek
[notify]

Oliver

I meow like a- chicken!

Purred: Mon Mar 31, '08 4:52pm PST 
Hey Rasha, I replied to you on another thread, but I thought I'd copy and paste over here in case others are wondering:

I really hope that isn't true about Evo either. They had me convinced that it was really great food. But, just like a lot of other pet foods, they do have some creative marketing. Who knows if it's true or not, ya know? After some digging, here's a site that you can read more info about the lawsuit:

http://www.mflegal.com/petfoodlawsuit

Click on any of the links and you can search for "Natura" in the search box at the top. I know there's something in there about some lady having her dog food tested and the analysis showed a considerable amount of feathers (I think they were visible to her), which I guess that's not the worst thing that could happen. I think the thing I read about the problem with "natural flavorings" was on there too, but it might have been on here somewhere:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Pet_Food_Recall

(this isn't the direct link - I just can't remember where on this site I found the problem with "natural flavorings.")

Again, I looked all night on the internet, and I really couldn't find much at all. Either this claim isn't that credible, or Natura is doing a good job covering their butt. shrug I hope it's the first one. We love Evo too and would hate to discontinue feeding it.
[notify]

Miki

Litter boxes are- for chumps

Purred: Mon Mar 31, '08 5:00pm PST 
Hm, are feathers that bad? In my previous life as an outdoor cat, mice and birds were delicious!
[notify]

Oliver

I meow like a- chicken!

Purred: Mon Mar 31, '08 5:09pm PST 
Yeah, see, that's why I'm not too worried about it if that's what all the fuss is about. I guess the claim is the "false advertising" - here's what came from the Natura website regarding chicken meal being in Innova Evo food:

Chicken meal is the dry rendered (cooked down) product from a combination of clean flesh and skin with or without accompanying bone, derived from the parts of whole carcasses of chicken -- exclusive of feathers, heads, feet, or entrails.

I guess the plaintiff is mirked b/c Evo claims to not have feathers, yet there were feathers. I can see why they're upset. If you're paying tons of money for food without by-products . . . then get by-products . . . well, that's reason to be upset, for sure. Evo ain't cheap, folks.
[notify]

Mooch

The Tiny 4- Parade!

Purred: Mon Mar 31, '08 6:32pm PST 
Hi,

Yeah, I know, I did a lot of research on good, safe foods before I got my kittens last year, and had ended up deciding on Innova Evo, which they love (wet). I was so...so many things...when I saw Natura brands had been taken off the safe foods list.

I also looked around a lot on the internet for more info (I also posted this in another thread LOL) but couldn't find anything about it.

My guys love the wet so much though, I hate to deprive them of it...urgh. shrug

I guess I'm just posting to tell you you're not alone in the boat. For now I'm continuing to feed them Innova Evo wet, but while mixing in other wet foods.
[notify]

Moxie

Got Moxie?

Purred: Tue Apr 1, '08 12:02am PST 
Interesting... thanks for the info! My kitty eats Evo wet and dry so I'd like to know how this all plays out. I know that in nature, a cat would eat bones, feathers, and all but that doesn't necessarily mean it's good for them. "Natural" does not always equal "good." By-products are considered a lower-quality food source so I would be irked to find out these by-products were in Evo and I've been paying up for it believing there was only high-quality protein in it.
[notify]

Binks

Little boy in a- cat suit

Purred: Tue Apr 1, '08 9:40am PST 
We've been frustrated at the lack of information, but can only hope that this is because there really isn't much of a concern. We haven't switched yet, but our vet recommended EVO to us, so our mom got us a sample. I liked the kibble, Matilda didn't seem interested in it, but neither of us will eat the canned. We will only eat Wellness Healthy Indulgence pouches for wet food - spoiled things that we are.

Our mom got a sample of Orijen kibble, which we both love. Not sure if it's the same protein level as EVO, but mom is going to talk to the vet about it before we switch from Natural Balance (which we love, but our vet wants us on a higher protein food).

Mom hasn't given up on EVO, but the first thing she read about it (linked from one of the hub pages on another thread) was that the natural flavoring was actually animal feces - not feathers. Feathers would be better, but the kitty who said that when you're paying top dollar for high-quality food, you would like to know that you're getting what you're paying for (especially when the health of your babies weighs so heavily on the type of food they eat).

Looks like much more digging and researching before mommy makes a decision. We're hoping the first report of the feces was incorrect. There was not much information about it, so it is likely to be a false claim.

Please share any information you find, and I will do the same. Knowing that it might be feathers and not feces makes me somewhat hopeful, and the fact that there is conflicting information makes me even more hopeful that the suit, itself, is a bunch of malarky! When there is a lot of information and it's all the same... that's when I start worrying.
[notify]

Rasha

On the Prowl....

Purred: Tue Apr 1, '08 12:27pm PST 
Thanks everyone. I got the chills when I looked at this list of foods effected. Natura alongside WALMART and MENU??!! Not to mention every other crappy food company!!

Plaintiffs/Class Representatives

VS

MARS INC., MARS PETCARE US, INC., PROCTER
AND GAMBLE CO., THE IAMS CO., COLGATE
PALMOLIVE COMPANY, HILL’S PET NUTRITION,
DEL MONTE FOODS, CO., NESTLÉ USA INC., NESTLÉ
PURINA PETCARE CO., NUTRO PRODUCTS INC.,
frown frown NATURA PET PRODUCTS, INC.!!!!!!!!!, MENU FOODS, INC.,
MENU FOODS INCOME FUND, PUBLIX SUPER MARKETS,
INC., NEW ALBERTSON’S INC., ALBERTSON’S LLC,
THE KROGER CO. OF OHIO, PETCO ANIMAL
SUPPLIES STORES, INC., PET SUPERMARKET,
INC., PET SUPPLIES PLUS/USA INC., PETSMART INC.,
TARGET CORP. AND WAL-MART STORES, INC.,

I have been so trusting in this company.... After I had bad experiences with canidae (whom i also trusted) I went head first into Innova and EVO products putting every inch of trust in them. It's just so disappointing!! I just spend over $50 on EVO cans to restock my shelf. confused
[notify]

Oliver

I meow like a- chicken!

Purred: Tue Apr 1, '08 2:21pm PST 
I know, it is frustrating. I hate that Natura is in the same sentence as Menu Foods and Wal-Mart.

Binks, I probably wasn't clear in my post, but the thing with the feathers is supposedly separate from the dispute about "natural flavoring." I'm at work and can't spend a lot of time looking up the exact link, but the website I saw really didn't have much information at all. shrug Again, this makes you wonder how credible that is, or if it's just an internet rumor. We know the thing about the feathers is probably true b/c of the court documents in that one post, but the other thing about natural flavoring/manure . . . well, there's just not a lot out there. Believe me, I spent and entire evening looking up Evo stuff on the internet!!!
[notify]

Monkey

I miss My- Bro-Fur...

Purred: Wed Apr 2, '08 10:23am PST 
I think I've figured out the reason the lawsuit isn't readily available...

Only a couple of web sites have trolled the lawsuit files to find the info as it is... I think the info was premature because lawsuits are dropped all the time... either by settlement or not enough evidence to support it

Anyone can bring a lawsuit up into court, but they can also be dismissed or settled out of court...

All of the info that can be found about the lawsuit seems suspect to me anyway... it seems like a "get rich quick" scheme because of loophole laws...

All pet foods in a bag or a can are manufactored, therefore it requires machinery, some robotics, and quality control inspectors... So far there hasn't been a pet food yet that hasn't had their own share of recalls and goofs within production... some are caught early enough to be voluntary, and some find out through consumers who are confused and concerned when something happens...

I'm going to have to err on the side of Natura Pet Products here and assume that any wrong doing will be because of a goof... not some big conspiracy... remember that the legal definition of certain things such as "natural flavor" differs greatly from the ethical concept of saying there's nothing extra in the food... They may be legally required to refer to an ingredient in that manner even though it is not as menacing as that may sound...

I bring it back to the age old litter issue of sodium bentonite and the fact that several HIGHLY respected foods (such as Orijen) actually use it in their food!! It's known by montromillonite and it is the secondary name for the exact same compound... It helps absorb excess fluid in the intestines and prevents diarrhea... Yet look at the one little web site from a "breeder" who tried to suggest that it killed her cats (her story has been debunked quite a few times and her "holistic vet" has never been found) and how many of us were ready to jump on the band wagon and lynch the makers of cat litter...

I am not dismissing the possibility that Natura made a boo-boo that needs to be fixed... but I'm not willing to jump on a lynch mob band wagon... I hope it never goes that far!!
[notify]

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6