GO!

Purina Vet Wants To Full-Throttle-Fight!!! RANT

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
[[*]]Charlie- Anne[[*]]

Cuddle! Cuddle!- Kiss! Kiss!- Purr! Purr!

Purred: Wed Mar 26, '08 7:13am PST 
My vet has pretty much everything but his socks sponsored by Purina. I don't feed my cats that because I've heard people saying DON'T FEED PURINA so I don't. So now my vet wants to do everything but make up diseases to get me to feed Cat Chow. Telling me that it is "a scientifically proven fact" that cats who eat Purina live longer, cats who don't live 4 years less. I asked about RAW and he told me "cats who eat raw are proven to get salmonella and other diseases". Then he basically said Im "not allowed to feed my cats raw" because he does not like the diet!!!

All I came in for was Charlie Anne's routine shots and to pick up and Chloe's eye med and as I leave he wants me to "change to Purina" within the month because his firm only works with "Purina Pets".eek

I really wanna go back to that vet and tell him Im not a 3rd Grader and Im not as stupid as he thinks I am, that I've talked to tons of people who've taken their cats from Purina and are purfectly fine AND I've talked to dozens of people who feed RAW and I've looked up the facts. confused

I really just needed to rant! Thanks guys for reading this!!!
[notify]

Jewel

Treat me like- the princess I- am

Purred: Wed Mar 26, '08 8:05am PST 
I hope you are able to find a better vet in your area. I have never heard of a vet only working with pets who eat a specific brand of food! That is insane! I've heard of pets sponsoring a certain food but this vet is ridiculous. He must be getting some serious kick backs from Purina! I wonder if there is a way you can report him to whatever board vets get certified by. If you know anyone else who goes to that vet see if he has told them the same thing, if so you should all keep calling to complain! he must get his info from that Purina Dog/Puppy chow ( that actually we just heard). It says that feeding purina puppy then dog chow leads to 1.8 more laughable loveable years. Compared to what though? Store brand food?

Ask him if Purina extends the cats life 4 years compared to what other food specifically.

Our vet is a big time supporter of Science Diet. They always have free sample food/treats everywhere however we were so happily suprised when the one vet asked what I fed. I told him a mix b/t InnovaEvo and Wellness because the cats seemed to like both so i felt bad just picking one. Plus when they were on SD they always seemed to be begging for more food and Harley was totally packing on the lbs(almost 3lbs in a year)!!! Vet seemed totally relieved. He said that sometimes people just kind of randomly pick supermarket or petstore brands but that they arent always benificial. Sometimes they have minerals or whatever in them that the cats cant digest properly. which can lead to multiple health issues. Not every food works for all pets either, because different pets can have specific needs.

Jewel is a perfect example. Whenever we fed a food with fish in it (or science diet or avoderm) Jewel would sneeze uncontrolably and was even getting little scabs all over her face. We switched foods and it all stopped. The vet said she must have been alergic to something in the food, although since she was ok, I didnt bother to get the expensive allergy test.
[notify]

Pete- Fountain

So happy to have- a safe and- loving home!

Purred: Wed Mar 26, '08 8:15am PST 
Jewel is right. There is NO reason for a vet to "hold you hostage" to use a certain brand of pet food. Shop around, ask your friends who have pets (or you family members) what vet they use. Sounds like he is paying more attention to "pushing" Purina than paying attention to any health problems of his patients or concerns of their owners.

I believe it is the American Veterinary Association that certifies vets. Best to do a search on the web. Would not hurt to contact them, this does not sound like good medical practice to us.

Pete Fountain, Benny Grunch, Louis Armstrong & Emma Barrett
[notify]

[[*]]Charlie- Anne[[*]]

Cuddle! Cuddle!- Kiss! Kiss!- Purr! Purr!

Purred: Wed Mar 26, '08 8:35am PST 
Thats what I say.

It seems like Purina has all the power in the world. Every ANIMAL PLANET commercial slot has one Purina. Then an IAMS. But mostly Purina. Infact, in the middle of the new show PETFINDER they have a "Purina Pet Tip" and pretty much they all revolve around feeding their food. Then the CAT/DOG FANCY mags advertise them. PetSmart has pictures of these champion show dogs in store and are like "Your dogs are champs on Purina".... I think Purina has too much power in the pet industry! I feed Meow Mix to my cats because they love it, and when I get my doggy I'll most likely use Kibbles N Bits.

I don't know why, but I think this vet thinks IM A CAT OR DOG, and he is my owner. shrug
[notify]

♠- KILLER- ♠

DIVA with a- heart of gold!

Purred: Wed Mar 26, '08 8:56am PST 
our mommy feeds us the better purina products. she swears by them. but she thinks than any pawrent needs to be well educated. when she picked our food she did it by reading labels and doing research. it's a rare feat to find kibble without grain. but purina was 1 of the few companies not popped during the food recall scandal. their products are almost exclusively american made. we love purina and refused to eat some of the more premium foods. our vet's new schtick is 2 cans of wet food daily. 2 out of 3 of us disagree. we're kibble addicts. if it's done right and the cat is receptive mom thinks raw is ideal. but if your vet had that attitude i'd find a new vet. somebody's obviously more of a sponsor and not as worried about good medical practices.
[notify]

Sable - ~Love you- Always~

Ride the Wild- Wind

Purred: Wed Mar 26, '08 5:02pm PST 
Meow Mix and Kibbles and Bits are NOT very good food, and possibly are even less quality than Purina. The bestest brands to feed your kitties and doggies are foods that have real meat as the first ingredient, and no glutens/corn/wheat/fillers and other yucky things.
Brands like Wellness, Merrick, Innova, Evo, Eagle Pack, Felidae, California Natural, Healthwise, and others like it have real ingredients and some are grain free.

Meow Mix is pretty much junk food in a bag, same for Kibbles n Bits. way to go
Canned food, in general, is better for kitties than carbohydrate-filler filled dry.

Edited by author Wed Mar 26, '08 5:02pm PST

[notify]

Herr- Mueller, II

Very busy and- important.

Purred: Wed Mar 26, '08 5:22pm PST 
The vet should be a useful source of information about what to feed and how much, but to practically demand that you switch foods to the one that sponsors is office is EXTREMELY unethical! Think about what you would do if you had been taking some specific prescription allergy medication for years, and suddenly your doctor told you he/she only sees patients who take a different kind, or only drugs manufactured by Glaxo-Smith Kline or Merck.

Also, aside from allergies, grain content and ingredient quality, I seriously doubt food alone affects an animal's longevity. Yes, there are certain nutritional needs (muscle source protein, taurine, liquid content) that make a huge difference in a cat's health. However, once those are met, any more improvement will likely be marginal.
[notify]

[[[:Snowflak- e:]]]

I am CARNIVORE:- Hear me- ROAR!!!!!!!!!!

Purred: Wed Mar 26, '08 8:11pm PST 
Really? I never knew that! I'll go price check some of those foods???
[notify]

Stella

Stella- Felinis--Queen- of All Kitties!

Purred: Wed Mar 26, '08 8:38pm PST 
It's Stella. I am a devout dry food addict and we get some Purina and some other things [mostly Iams for Sensitive Stomachs for me, which is the only thing that works on my yurping up.] But I think for a vet to say this is like a doctor saying people should only eat Sara Lee or McDonald's. It's definitely not the best food, and I don't think there is a study done by a disinterested third-party that shows cats live longer on anything. It's a study that should be done. Purina does a lot of research on captive kitties in its research labs, but that can never duplicate normal life. Since the most common cause of death in cats is kidney failure, and most Purina foods do nothing to prevent that, how can they say that? There is the Purina NF cat food for cats with kidney disease and it worked wonders for our former companion and others, but she already had kidney failure and it could have been caused by her lifetime addiction to dry cat food, like me. [My person worries a lot about me, because I won't eat any wet food or cooked meat.]

My person who is very old remembers when vets used to say that animals had to eat Science Diet foods, which were very expensive and which you could only get from vets, but I don't think they ever banned treating animals who were eating other foods. Since the Science Diet of that time was pretty much as horrible for kitties as the supermarket brands, it was not something that any vet should have felt comfortable doing. As this one shouldn't. I wonder if this is a new trend, that Purina is going to try and force vets to say their food is the best, and pay them under the table? The money they were making from Science Diet was at least pretty clear to see.

Can you find another vet or are you in an area with few vets working there?
[notify]

Fergie

born 3rd

Purred: Wed Mar 26, '08 9:47pm PST 
i doubt theres anything you can do. its his practice, he can recommend any food he wants. it dosnt make it right but its how it is.

i beleve that everyone should get educated on whats out there, whats in the bag, and what you cat needs. then get the best fit that you can afford.

yes purina and sience diet do alot of advertising. but they do alot of good in helping shelter pets. but i think its wrong that places like vets and breeders do these programs when they are making a profit.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3