GO!

method of feeding raw- help?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
pearl

did you say- 'meow?'

Purred: Mon Mar 10, '08 1:34pm PST 
Hi everyone! wave
Right now Pearlie eats Rad Cat, a premade raw diet. She loves it and I'm so happy that I'm feeding raw. However, I want to switch from a premade diet to one that I do myself with meat from the grocery store.
I understand the ratios are pretty much the same as for a raw-fed Prey Model dog, right?
My real question is: how do you feed the meat? Do you blend it in the blender with bone and everything? Or do you just serve RMBs like you would to a dog? Probably a stupid question, I know!

Edited by author Mon Mar 10, '08 1:34pm PST

[notify]

Oreo

Make it look- like the dog did- it

Purred: Mon Mar 10, '08 1:49pm PST 
You can feed the RMB or grind it. Oreo rathers have an actual bone than have the bone ground. He does not like ground meats,at all! He likes to bite and fight with his meal,which is great! If he'd cought it himself I wouldn't have bin there to cut it or grind it.
[notify]

Pooka

Do the Pooka- Polka!

Purred: Mon Mar 10, '08 6:23pm PST 
Many cats here are into chewing their whole food. It is not always easy to get them to switch, though. My two cats go back and forth; some days I can get them to chew on a small chicken wing, other days they can't be bothered. Also one turns up her nose to kidney, and the other can't be bothered with liver. Feeding them ground up blends seems to eliminate this problem.
[notify]

pearl

did you say- 'meow?'

Purred: Tue Mar 11, '08 10:49am PST 
Thanks guys. I feed RMBs to my dogs without much worry- for some reason it freaks me out with Pearlie's little tiny cat digestive system! I know I "shouldn't" worry, but! For now I will grind everything up for her, and go slow with RMBs. I want to feed them because I want her to have the teeth-cleaning benefits.
I just might have to go slow for my own sake! laugh out loud Thanks for your help.
[notify]

Maggie

I am Diva, hear- me roar

Purred: Tue Mar 11, '08 7:15pm PST 
You didn't mention anything about feeding organs like liver, heart, gizzard which is also important to ensure a balanced diet. You can f ind out tons of helpful into about raw diets at catinfo.org and catnutrition.org
[notify]

Oscar-Teachi- ng Angels to- Love

With mom from- Oct '97 - Aug '09

Purred: Sat Mar 15, '08 10:58am PST 
The raw feeders don't recommend buying raw meat at the grocery store. It's been sitting out in the light gathering bacteria. They recommend buying directly from a butcher. I bet it's cheaper that way, too.
[notify]

Enzo TJ- Soprano

Mama's boy,- don't mess with- me!

Purred: Sat Mar 15, '08 5:59pm PST 
I feed all 3 of my furbabies (Enzo and Colby - cats and Emi a pup) a franken prey style of diet. The boys (cats) love their RMB, I did hesitate at first, but once I saw how easy it was for Enzo to chew through a chicken wing, leg, back whatever I didn't think twice about it every again! But yes they are a bit picky with their organ meats, especially Enzo, so it can be a challenge on somedays to get him to eat his liver before Colby will snag it. Once he realizes no other food is coming he sucks it up (plugs his noselaugh out loud ) and swallows lol. I have found he prefers beef liver over chicken.

He also needs his beef meat cut up very small (which is a pain in the butt ha) otherwise he throws it up either within the hour or later in the day, I thought it was an allergy to beef, but I tried cutting it up into peices and no throwing up, whereas Colby will eat through a steak or chunked up beef.
[notify]

Kali

This is MY house- and MY house- ONLY!

Purred: Tue Mar 18, '08 7:55pm PST 
Oscar, I'm curious about what you have heard it from that they don't recommend feeding grocery store meat. Although I agree that free range grass fed animals are the best to feed your animals I have never heard it said that raw feeders do not recommend grocery store food.

Can you enlighten me? Thanks! way to go
[notify]

Oscar-Teachi- ng Angels to- Love

With mom from- Oct '97 - Aug '09

Purred: Wed Mar 19, '08 7:50pm PST 
Here's what my mom found at the veterinarian's catinfo.org site, Kali. The doctor basically says be careful with it, which would make me nervous, but if you're comfortable with it I guess go ahead:

"I buy only whole meats or whole carcasses from the market for the following reasons:

The surface of whole meats can be washed with cold water before we grind them. This helps remove the surface bacteria. Going one step further, the whole meat can be put into boiling water for a few minutes to help kill the surface bacteria. I suggest doing this for any animal that may be immunocompromised due to illness, advanced age, or if they are receiving any immunosuppressive medications.

Once we grind the whole meat during our cat food preparation, it goes directly into the freezer. Ground meat that you buy from the supermarket has had the surface bacteria ground into it. Once the meat is ground, the surface area increases, which makes a great breeding ground for bacteria. This meat then sits in the refrigerated section of the meat department. It is not immediately frozen which would halt any further bacterial growth.

What this boils down to is a personal comfort level and I am not comfortable buying ground meat from a supermarket for raw feeding. If you choose this route, please be very careful of your source.

You may be wondering what the difference is between the ground meat at the supermarket and the ground rabbit that I buy from wholefoods4pets.com or hare-today.com. Wholefoods4pets and hare-today process the rabbits and then immediately freeze the final product versus refrigerating it. It arrives on my doorstep frozen.

In addition to only using whole meats, check with the butcher who you are purchasing from and see what his delivery schedule is so that you may purchase the freshest meat possible.

Basic food handling hygiene practices should be followed when preparing meat for yourself or your carnivore."
[notify]

Kali

This is MY house- and MY house- ONLY!

Purred: Thu Mar 20, '08 7:41am PST 
Ahhhhhh...I quote:

"What this boils down to is a personal comfort level and I am not comfortable buying GROUND meat from a supermarket for raw feeding"

I agree ground meat DOES have more serface area so more bacteria is going to be found in ground meat than in whole chickens at the supermarket.

way to go I was assuming you meant ALL meat at the supermarket!big laugh
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2