GO!

FeLV positive...

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

♥Chlo- e♥- 01/03/13

Stealth Ninja- Kitty

Purred: Sat Mar 1, '08 10:41pm PST 
Hi everyfurr. I just moved in with meowmy here about a month ago. She took me to the vet right away and found out I was FeLV positive. I am going in for another test in 2 months to see if the result changes. The vet said there is a chance that I could shed the virus if I am able to produce enough of an immune response. My white blood cell count was higher than normal, so meowmy hopes that's a good sign.
Meowmy has another cat-up to date on all vaccinations-who is FeLV negative. I HAVE NOT HAD ANY CONTACT WITH HER. Just wanted to make it clear that we have seperate food dishes, water dishes, litter boxes, and rooms. I was wondering if any other humans out there had any experience with a FeLV positive cat in a household with a FeLV negative cat.
I know that this is a risky thing, but meowmy and the vet think I am too young and healthy to euthanize, and it would be difficult to find someone interested taking in a kitty like me who has tested positive for FeLV. Meowmy loves me very much and can give me a really good life for as long as that may be-virus or no virus-she wants to keep me.
Does anyone have any info for us??
Thank you.
[notify]

Hector

Is that the- fridge I hear?

Purred: Sun Mar 2, '08 6:28am PST 
Hi,
Sorry to hear about your situation. I hope your next test comes back negative.
I don't have any direct experience with this but I am under the impression that the cats would need to have an interaction, like a fight, where skin is broken and blood gets in. I think it's probably a good idea to keep their stuff seperate anyways to avoid a battle over territory that may lead to a physical fight but I am under the impression that just living in the same house isn't enough to cause the kitty who is negative to get infected. I think the real concern would arise if you saw that they weren't getting along.
Someone with more experience with this can clarify this, though.
Good luck!
[notify]

♥Chlo- e♥- 01/03/13

Stealth Ninja- Kitty

Purred: Sun Mar 2, '08 8:07am PST 
Yeah, from what I've read, the most frequent cause of infection is from bite wounds and sexual contact. I can't seem myself fighting with Luna-I just want to play with everyone; and, I'm not having any sexual contact with her since we are both spayed females.
I'm hoping someone eventually sees this who has had a FeLV+
cat(s) and a FeLV- cat(s) living together in the same household who can let me know how they managed.
I'm guessing probably a lot of humans don't want to touch this subject because it's a risky situation having me and Luna living in the same house. I'm sure there are many who don't agree with what meowmy is doing. But what does she do?
if she gives me up to a shelter-they are going to put me down because of my FeLV. No one is going to want to adopt me. I know she wouldn't dream of taking me to the vet for a long sleep on her own. There are no indications of illness right now. I am a playful, active, alert kitty who loves attention. She also told me her grandma's cat had FeLV from the time she was 3 and she lived to be 16 years old without much of a problem. Her last year she had issues with her teeth and mouth-but that's it.
So, meowmy knos it's not a death sentence. She also knows that I have a chance to shed the virus off. So, with these things in mind-meowmy says she has to give me a chance to live a full and happy life. She could've just left me to live outside, sleeping in and amongst old junky cars in the salvage yard, but she decided to take me on and she doesn't regret a thing. big grin
She keeps cheering for me everydaycheer and hopes my spunky attitude continues to show that I'm a true fighter.
[notify]

Luciano

Gimme some- lovin'

Purred: Sun Mar 2, '08 11:13am PST 
Hector & Chloe; bite wounds transmission is for FIV; I'm FIV+ and part of a household where other two kitties are also +, the other seven are negative.
But with FeLV is different, it is much more contagious_litterboxes, grooming, sharing bowls, etc_ google FeLV & FIV and you'll find out (top o' me furry head can't think of a link, sorry_ anyways you can trow off FeLV but not FIV so you'll have to be patient and wing it until next test. You are lucky you are healthy now.Kudos to your mom for being so good to you & all the purrs in the world
[notify]

Pickles (in- loving- memory)

1999-2005

Purred: Sun Mar 2, '08 5:00pm PST 
Hi Chloe! My sweet kitty Pickles who is now at the Bridge was FeLV positive, and she shared a household with 2 other kitties who were FeLV negative. Pickles was a stray that I found who had a broken leg, and she was just the sweetest, most adorable thing. When I took her to the vet to fix the leg, they also tested her and she was positive. They said it wasn't a "strong positive," so like you, they thought maybe there was a chance that it would never really affect her healthwise.

Pickles eventually passed on due to the illness, but she had 6 wonderful, healthy years with us. My vet didn't seem too concerned about my other kitties as long as we got them vaccinated and tested often, and luckily they never got it. And looking back, maybe I wasn't as educated about it as I should have been, but my kitties all shared food bowls and litter boxes.

I don't regret taking her in one bit though. We, including my other two kitties, Baby Kitty and Sadie, just LOVED her so much. Also, my other 2 kitties who lived with Pickles have since passed on to the Bridge as well, and it had nothing to do with Pickles having the FeLV (Baby Kitty had cancer; Sadie was involved in an accident.)

You NEVER know what is going to happen, so I say give that sweet kitty the best life you possibly can. I know my other cat's lives were better because we had Pickles in our home.
[notify]

♥Chlo- e♥- 01/03/13

Stealth Ninja- Kitty

Purred: Mon Mar 3, '08 7:27pm PST 
Thank you Luciano and Pickles.
I've done some poking around the internet with meowmy about FeLV. I have been in a seperate room from Luna with my own food, water and litter box. If my next test result comes back negative, meowmy would still not allow any sharing between me and Luna until she got another 2 negative results over the course of a few months.
If I can't fight off the virus, meowmy says that me and Luna will probably never be allowed together unsupervised, and we certainly won't be sharing any bowls or litter trays. Even so, I know I've found my furrever home here no matter what my test results end up being. I'll be the best kitty I can be and I'll fight as hard as I can to beat this!!
I am glad for you Pickles, that you had a good life. It is heartening to hear that you had so many years of love and friendship from the other cats and the humans you found.
wink
[notify]