GO!

cat it water fountain...?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Athena Marie

I shake my- fluffy tail on- the cat walk!

Purred: Tue Feb 26, '08 8:44pm PST 
we've had a cat it water fountain for over a year now. and we wash it frequently, but it still gets gunk... it's DISGUSTING. we even filter the water before we put it in the dome thing (i want the best for my babies...). just wanted to know if it is dish washer safe? i want to get it as clean as possible each time, and though i clean it with q-tips to get in the grooves etc... but yeah. thanks!!
[notify]

Pokey

Puppy trapped in- a kitten's body!

Purred: Tue Feb 26, '08 8:49pm PST 
Check on the bottom of unit. It should say. If not, check the product website. You should be able to find information there. big grin
[notify]

Matilda

The Silent- Princess

Purred: Tue Feb 26, '08 9:20pm PST 
I was wondering the same thing about the drinkwell. We have 2 and it's a lot of work to take them apart and clean them every week! Mom would like to put ours in the dishwasher if it is safe!
[notify]

Winnie and- Chester

Mom...he just- bounced me- again!

Purred: Tue Feb 26, '08 9:39pm PST 
By gunk do you mean a slimy layer. We have a catit (the cats LOVE it so I dont feel I can not have it) and we only used bottled water in it, but there is still constantly a slimy feeling on it lately, which was a problem I didnt seem to have the first few months (using same brand of water and everything).
[notify]

Arthur (Miss- You!- '93-'09)

Bucket of Fuzz

Purred: Wed Feb 27, '08 12:36am PST 
I took a look at the user manual at:
http://www.hagen.com/pdf/cats/CATIT_Fountain_Catalog_MR.pdf

It says:
The white film is a lime mineral deposit resulting from hard
water. To remove these stains, soak affected areas in a vinegar
solution to loosen deposit. Remove by wiping with a soft cloth.
Ensure to rinse thoroughly....

Wash and rinse dome, base, and food dish (where applicable)
with a soft sponge and a non-abrasive cleanser. Rinse thoroughly,
ensuring no soapy residue. Do not wash filter with
soap.

I don't see anything about it being dishwasher safe. The vinegar trick might be worth a try, though.

Jack ~My- Angel

Cattitude

Purred: Wed Feb 27, '08 11:49am PST 
Mommy used vinegar on our first fountain, but my new one can go into the dishwasher. The vinegar got off all the slimy stuff and really works well. Just make sure you rinse it really good to get all the vinegar off. Yuck!
[notify]

Winnie and- Chester

Purred: Thu Mar 6, '08 8:23pm PST 
I finally figured out the slime (I hope). I knew our slime wasnt lime as I use bottled spring water only in their fountain.

We kept getting a yellowish slime and no matter how much I cleaned it the thing would come back and the pump wasnt working well. I JUSt realized tonight the pump part come apart (on the back the part with the slits pulls off - which it does NOT appear it should, I thought it broke when it came off). THIS was the slime source, inside that was GROSS (looked like a years worth of boogers). It was blocking up the fan and the whole thing. which was why it was running slower. So even though I had washed the whole thing it was immediately getting back into the system.

I wonder how many other pieces I can get that pump in to?
[notify]

Monkey

I miss My- Bro-Fur...

Purred: Sun Mar 9, '08 7:18pm PST 
I'm sorry.. this is slightly off topic... but it reminds me of the self cleaning litter thing that actually flushes... It's called the CatGenie

If you look at Amazon.com there are people reviews that are too funny not to read them... It's a similar functional problem that the idea of it works in theory, but the cleaning process makes it not worth the novelty... LoL

I'm sorry to hijack the thread.... but I started laughing at all of the "functional" probelms... and I feel guilty for laughing at your pain... red face
[notify]

Winnie and- Chester

Purred: Sun Mar 9, '08 7:51pm PST 
I wouldnt say in our case "the cleaning difficulty outweighs the novelty". My cats love the fountain, they are drinking more and they are happy. That is worth the annoyance I may go through cleaning the fountain.
[notify]

Liberty

August 2002-May- 2010. I AM- MISSED!

Purred: Sun Mar 9, '08 8:26pm PST 
Try distilled water. It is all I will drink. It is actually better for cats anyway.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2