GO!

Pippy's new behavior. Anyone seen this before?

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Pippy

I am Mr.- Handsome

Purred: Mon Feb 4, '08 9:05am PST 
Pippy has developed a new behavior since a couple of weeks ago. I had never seen him doing that. He's always been best friend with Peaches, another female cat we have. Since a couple of weeks ago he would jump on her back from time to time, holds her from her back and bites on the back of her neck and wouldn't let go until I shove him away. I don't know why he does that. He is fixed and everything. it doesn't seem like he is attacking her or trying to kill her or anything because one minute he does that, the next minute they can be best friend again and snuggle in bed together. Peaches is mad when he does that because he holds her from her back, and she couldn't turn back to fight or even run away.

Have anyone seen this behavior before? Any suggestions?
[notify]

the kaya- skye &- shyloh paige

mutant twincats- of michigan

Purred: Mon Feb 4, '08 12:01pm PST 
seems like classic establishing dominance behavior...though why it would suddenly start is beyond me, the fact that they are best pals the rest of the time doesn't surprise me...be prepared for the worm to turn, peaches may decide to turn the tables. some people have cats who have a consistent dominant cat-i've lived with cats who seem to like to mix it up from time to time and flip-flop, or are food-dominant but not place-dominant, toy-dominant but not person-dominant...yadda yadda yadda. one of our kittens, shyloh, is frog-dominant. every frog toy in the house is hers.shrugweirdly, it can get that specific. it's instinct to establish their "place", and they can carve it out in some strange ways. as long as they're not carving up each other, let them figure it out. it can actually be sort of amusing to watch...like the campaign speeches...
[notify]

Pippy

I am Mr.- Handsome

Purred: Mon Feb 4, '08 1:08pm PST 
Thanks. I wonder if it's because my dog. She's been driving Pippy crazy sometimes, playing with him pretty roughly.
[notify]

Horus

Wild Hunter -- in my- immagination

Purred: Mon Feb 4, '08 1:17pm PST 
Actually, it also sounds like a sexual thing.

i mean, that is blatently out of the pages of "how to get a kitty girl pregnant in 5 easy steps or less" by Tom.T. Cat. ;-)

hope you figure it out and the house hold stays sommoth !
[notify]

the kaya- skye &- shyloh paige

mutant twincats- of michigan

Purred: Mon Feb 4, '08 3:17pm PST 
yeah, it is the old attack from behind, immobilize and get busy approach isn't it? but since he's fixed (though i'm aware he's still quite male), is this still a dominance trick variant or is pippy daydreaming? is peaches spayed?thinking
tho, come to think of it, the desexed mixed sex pair (untangle that one) we had when i was a kid, the male (jake) did this same thing to katie...while her fighting style was rabbit kick and head butt. katie's "out" from this attack from behind-not like you can teach it to peaches, but just for info-(besides screaming for help) was to get her front paws on the outside of his front paws, bite the inside of one of his front legs, and then buck and roll. (like i said, they can be entertaining to watch...little martial artists in fur coats)
[notify]

Pippy

I am Mr.- Handsome

Purred: Mon Feb 4, '08 8:55pm PST 
Well, Peaches is fixed too. and actually when Pippy grabs her from the back, he doesn't "hump" at all. He just grabs there and bites the back of her neck.
[notify]

Velcro (In- Loving- Memory)

Fix one save- 1,000 please- spay/neuter!

Purred: Tue Feb 5, '08 12:23pm PST 
He might be trying to mate with her but since he's never had the opportunity before he may not know what to do. A friend of mine has a desexed male cat (altered before puberty and has never had sex) who humps and actually tries to mate with his blanket if it's bunched up and sometimes people's legs, even though the two female cats have both long been desexed...go figure shrug.
[notify]

Sherlock

Me, Me, Me, Me

Purred: Wed Feb 6, '08 12:20pm PST 
red face I'd have to agree with the cats who suggested he was trying to mate with Peaches - even tho they are both fixed, they sometimes still TRY!! red face
[notify]

Pippy

I am Mr.- Handsome

Purred: Wed Feb 6, '08 12:40pm PST 
Hmmm....I never thought the little guy would want to mate with other cats, but who knows.

Thanks every cats!
[notify]

Leaf

Must kick and- shred!

Purred: Wed Feb 6, '08 7:14pm PST 
It could be play fighting. I like to play pretty rough with my fur siblings sometimes!
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2