GO!

I Changed!

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

MANGO

No Fear

Purred: Mon Dec 17, '07 8:41am PST 
Mommy brought home my new baby brother. I was always the baby & I used to pounce on everyone & run throughout the house. I never hissed & rarely meowed. Now my new brother runs around & pounces on me! I hate it now that he does it to me! I hiss at him & now I hiss all the time at daddy! Have I turned into a nasty cat? My new brother has been here a week.....is it just going to take time to adjust? Mommy is very upset that we still aren't all getting along 100%.frown
[notify]

Herr- Mueller, II

Very busy and- important.

Purred: Mon Dec 17, '07 8:53am PST 
You are just upset at having your territory invaded! Cats need to be introduced slowly. I suggest putting the new cat in a room of his own, and let the humans visit him in there. You can smell each other under the door that way. The humans can also have you sleep on blankets or beds, and swap them so that you and the kitten can get accustomed to each other's smells. When the humans feel you are ready (could be a couple days or a couple weeks), they can try just opening the door to where the new kitty is. He can come out and explore, or you can go check him out. They should immediately separate you again if any hissing or fighting starts. It will take a lot of patience, but if you do this as a slow process, the cats will learn to share your house.
[notify]

Teddy

Purred: Mon Dec 17, '07 10:40am PST 
I know how you feel! When Mom and Dad brought Arthur home, he kept pouncing on me and trying to play but I didn't want anything to do with him. I spent nearly 2 weeks hiding under Mom and Dad's bed. It took probably close to 2 months before I didn't mind being around Arthur.

Arthur has lived with us for 1.5 years now and we play very well together.
[notify]