GO!

Should We Be Eating More?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

The Fosters

Fosters are- Forever in Your- Heart

Purred: Sun Dec 9, '07 6:37am PST 
I just picked up these two beautiful 6 week olds to foster yesterday. They are my first 'momless' fosters...so I am hoping that some of you have experience with this. My other fosters were all eating like little piglets...both wet and dry by this age. These two showed some interest in their food...they ate some dry and a LITTLE wet yesterday...and drank water. But, there was a lot of the wet left this morning (and it was only the small kitten can.) They are using the box, healthy, and acting great. I just worry there is no 'mom's milk' and want to make sure they get enough nutrition.
Advice?
Thanks!!!!!
[notify]

Munchie

Was that the can- opener?

Purred: Sun Dec 9, '07 8:12am PST 
I bottle raised 12 kittens last year. We have some 8 week old siamese at work right now that weren't eating super good. What we did is get some cat milk replacer and mix it in with a/d canned food (get that at the vet) and warmed it slightly in the microwave. That works wonders for getting them to eat. Good luck!
[notify]

Margaux- Hemingway

It's all about- me, and always- was!

Purred: Sun Dec 9, '07 8:24am PST 
You can also buy some Nutri-Cal from your vet because sometimes kittens need to gain some weight to get their appetite going. It's easy to feed them, and it's full of all sorts of good stuff. I have also mixed the canned kitten milk with regular food and warmed it up--they respond to warm food when they're really young. Good luck!
[notify]

The Fosters

Fosters are- Forever in Your- Heart

Purred: Sun Dec 9, '07 6:00pm PST 
I added a little extra warm water to the wet Pro-Plan this afternoon, mixed it up well, and they definitely ate more. I will keep my eye on them to make sure their weight looks good. If not, I will look for some of those supplements.
Thanks!
[notify]

Monkey

I'm the baby

Purred: Mon Dec 10, '07 2:09pm PST 
Kittens that age usually aren't ready for dry food. I found a 4 or 5 week old kitten in a parking lot in Aug and heres what I did for her.

I got KMR (milk replacer for kittens) and mix that with the dry (Serengeti all life stages), let sit until it is mushy. I mixed in a little canned (Felidae all life stages) and fed her about a teaspoon or so every 3 or 4 hours. Kittens that young need to be fed often. I made sure she always had fresh waterand continued feedings that often until she was about 7 or 8 weeks.Their little tummies aren't going to be able to handle a lot at once. Gradually you can start introducing the dry as is, but watch to make sure they are eating it ok. If they aren't continue mixing it with the KMR or whatever milk replacer you are using.

If you are not using an all life stages food, try to use a food that is made especially for kittens.

Also watch the litter box to be sure whats going in is coming out! big grin

Good luck! way to go
[notify]