GO!

Why do vets push Science Diet?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Brady

Purred: Wed Nov 7, '07 8:42am PST 
Just curious because all of a sudden I'm hearing bad things about it.

And I've always fed my cats that and my Vet said it was one of his top 3 picks of good food.

I'm all worried now and feel I should switch because of everything I'm hearing.

I don't understand it either it's one of the top foods at my local pet store which doesn't stock too many good foods and it's expensive.

What's good and bad about it? Thanks for any advice!
[notify]

Brice

Trackball Wizard

Purred: Wed Nov 7, '07 1:38pm PST 
All kibble is the equivalent of fast food... it's a matter of choosing to eat at Burger King or Subway.

Science Diet uses several lower-grade ingredients to achieve nutritional adequacy. Brands such as Felidae use higher quality ingredients. However, both are manufactured in the same manner (burnt, extruded, and left to sit in a bag for months), voiding much of the nutritional value from higher quality ingredients.

I personally feed the higher quality brands (our favorites being Canidae/Felidae, Natural Balance, and Natura brands). But if your cats do well on Science Diet, I would not feel pressured to switch.

kitty
[notify]

Moxie

Got Moxie?

Purred: Wed Nov 7, '07 5:13pm PST 
When one of my previous cats had kidney failure, my vet put her on a prescription Science Diet K/D formula. It was very expensive and only available through a vet. I started researching my kitty's condition and learned a lot about cat food/nutrition. I was shocked to find out that Science Diet had chicken-by-products (which actually makes the kidneys work harder!) and other ingredients that are not considered good for cats. The k/d formula did have benefits for kidney disease but overall it's not a high quality food. I think vets push Science Diet because it's one of the better lower-quality foods AND because they get a cut of all the prescription diet formulas they sell. A vet can't stock their shelves with prescription Science Diet and then tell you NOT to buy the regular stuff at the pet store! Anyway, we no longer go to that vet. I realized some of the advice he had given us was quite outdated. Just like with any profession, there are some people who are better at their jobs, more knowledgeable, etc. than others.

I recommend Innova EVO, Wellness, and if you must go with a less expensive and easier-to-find brand, Nutro Natural Choice.
[notify]

Jacques

Fiend #2

Purred: Wed Nov 7, '07 7:05pm PST 
In the '70s, Science Diet was the latest thing and highly recommended. Then somewhere along the line it was bought out by one of the conglomerates and is not the same. Also, as was mentioned, not all vets keep up with all things; similar to human doctors who don't know nutrition.
It is horrible, but the Food Scare got more humans looking at what was really in the food they gave their cats. Science Diet just isn't what it used to be!
[notify]

Brady

Purred: Thu Nov 8, '07 8:01am PST 
Wow! Thanks everyone for being so nice and supportive!

I'm thinking of switching to EVO and will be ordering a small bag and mixing it with my Regular to see if I like it! kitty
[notify]

Dakota

Kitties are born- to run and be- loved

Purred: Thu Nov 8, '07 5:51pm PST 
Is EVO and the others you mentioned only sold on line or are the available in pet stores?
[notify]

Natasha

The 5lb Miracle- Cat

Purred: Thu Nov 8, '07 6:46pm PST 
Dakota, Innova EVO is usually available at your local pet store. Petcos and Petsmarts don't carry it though.shrug
[notify]

Hattie

NaMeowSte

Purred: Sun Nov 11, '07 7:24am PST 
Brady, another thing to remember is that sometimes the only nutritional info that vets get is through the food companies, and sometimes the food companies are the ones that fund the nutrition classes at vet schools!

The good news is that there are vets out there who are doing their own research on food as a part of their personal efforts to stay on top of their profession. I have heard many stories about vets who learned from their clients, too, so you see that we can help in the cause toward better feline health for all of us!
[notify]

Cole

Anything- Goes

Purred: Sun Nov 11, '07 9:23am PST 
Hear, Hear! So true, Hattie!

Just as the humans are learning to take charge of their own health decisions, we must teach or challenge the vets sometimes, too.
[notify]

Stella

Stella- Felinis--Queen- of All Kitties!

Purred: Sun Nov 11, '07 12:11pm PST 
It's Stella. For a long time, for those of us out in the boonies, Science Diet was only available through your vet, it was expensive and your vet got a share of the profits. Sadly, our vet still only recommends the kinds of foods that he sells. We now have a Petco and have a much wider range of foods.

It doesn't do my person much good because I won't eat ANY kind of cat food mentioned as being good on this list. My person has tried all that she could get. I like cheap cat food, the cheaper the better, and I won't eat any canned food beyond one tablespoonful. I had been eating Iams for sensitive stomachs, which was one of the highest grades I had been willing to eat, plus it stopped my yurping. Last night she put out Eukanuba for sensitive stomachs and I am on a non-eating strike. $10 down the drain!
[notify]

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4