GO!

Going away for Thanksgiving for 4 days and don't know what to do

This forum is dedicated to places that people and cats can enjoy together. If you want to travel, sight-see, or just go around town with your cat, then you've come to the right place! Don't forget to plan a visit to Catster's Pet-Friendly Travel Area! Book travel and support Catster.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Lilly

I need my Teddy- Bear

Purred: Thu Nov 1, '07 2:33pm PST 
Hello,

My boyfriend's family is taking us to a resort for Thanksgiving weekend. We leave on a Wed and come back Sun. I have an automatic feeder/water dispenser for my cat. I don't know if I should leave her at my house for those days all alone or board her in a pet boarding facility that she's never been to that is a couple of miles away from the resort and then go visit her in the mornings. His parent's offered to have her come with us, but if she gets caught in the resort, we all get kicked out. I don't know what to do. I hate making these decisions, any suggestions? confused
[notify]

Cleo (The- Queen)

I am the Queen- of the house....

Purred: Thu Nov 1, '07 3:39pm PST 
Do you have a friend that can stop over and check on your baby? That is what our mommy does when they go away. The Cat-Sitter-no they really don't sit on us, the cat-sitter plays with us, and checks on us, and brings in the mail. Mommy gives them money, but Mysty and I are sure they would do it for free because we are so cute and special!!!!
[notify]

Mickey- (Angel- Dreamboat- #22)

Bigger is better

Purred: Fri Nov 2, '07 9:33am PST 
My suggestions would be:

- Ask a trusted adult to check on your cat while you are gone.

- Board your cat at the vet or a reputable boarding facility while you are gone.

- Use a professional pet sitter. Be sure to recomendations and references.

I know some people leave plenty of food and water and an extra litter box and their cats are okay left at home that long. I, however, would feel much better knowing my cats were being taken care of.
[notify]

Legolas

Mommy's fuzzy- orange baby

Purred: Fri Nov 2, '07 7:01pm PST 
I would be happier at home alone than in a strange resort, especially if my family acted odd (being afraid of being "caught" with me). We cats pick up on things pretty quickly.

Probably there's someone you know who will come in and pet and love on your kitty. Maybe someone you work with or go to church with or in your neighborhood.

My family left me alone for 8 days while they went to Hawaii. They even got my one non-cat grandmother to come over and take care of me! My other grandma offered to keep me, but really I was quite happy at home. I probably didn't even notice that they were even gone for a couple of days. By then, you will be almost back home.

Oh, cats like a little tv on in one room. Not too loud. Something like Disney with all happy shows and no info-mercials in the middle of the night. Good luck!
[notify]

Legolas

Mommy's fuzzy- orange baby

Purred: Fri Nov 2, '07 7:03pm PST 
Oh, and I think that ANY cat would be happier at home than in a boarding facility unless it were absolutely necessary.
[notify]

♥Winn- ie - The Pooh

Hello- Furfriends, - Diva Kitty Here!

Purred: Fri Nov 2, '07 8:28pm PST 
I would agree......if I had to be somewhere without my furmommie....I'd much rather be in the safety & security of my own home.......I think it would be a good idea to have a relative or someone that is close to your family come in and visit each day vs. going to the resort & being worried ....or going to a boarding place ....me's so scared of loud noises ...so....boarding places, no matter how great they are ....not an good option for me.....GOOD luck and purrs to you !!!!
[notify]

Cleo (The- Queen)

I am the Queen- of the house....

Purred: Sat Nov 3, '07 7:33am PST 
Plus if you get boarded there are many other germs and you don't get as much attention. Mommy left the number of the vet, and also the groomer/boarder-for $8 they would give me medicine if I needed it, so our petsitter wouldn't have to. I also went in for a brushing because I had hairballsred face, and it scared the petsitter, so he took me and got me brushed. It was fun, we had the tv on >>>>Catsitter Videos are COOL! We played, we got treats, and I was in my OWN house!!!
[notify]

Sky

Little Prissy- Timid Booty Girl

Purred: Sat Nov 3, '07 10:48am PST 
Mommy boards us at the vet. We really don't like it but she knows we are safe. We have medical issues so if anything goes wrong she knows we are in good carew.

Check into this.

good luck

Arthur (Miss- You!- '93-'09)

Bucket of Fuzz

Purred: Sat Nov 3, '07 10:10pm PST 
We have a professional pet sitter who comes to look after us if mom's going to be gone for more than a couple of days. She's really nice! We'd recommend her, but she's in Michigan. laugh out loud

If you do want to use a professional sitter or a boarding kennel, you look on "Catster Local" and see if anykitty in your area has left a good review! way to go

Lilly

I need my Teddy- Bear

Purred: Mon Nov 5, '07 9:23am PST 
Thank you everybody for your posts. You make me feel a lot more confident about leaving her home alone. She does not have any medical problems, so if she was only checked on once a day, that would be ok. I have a hard time leaving her...she's my only baby. I'm sure I can get someone to look after her. I really did not like the idea of boarding her, I just don't know how she is going to be after 4 days all alone cry Thank you again for giving me confidence! I'm sure she will be fine now. Thanks anyway Arthur, but you're right, Michigan is a little too far for me laugh out loud
[notify]

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3