GO!

Natural Life Cat Food- At WalMart?

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

Fredrick((I- n Loving- Memory...

Can a Dog and a- Cat REALLY be- friends?

Purred: Wed Oct 10, '07 9:12am PST 
Hello Catsters!

I was at the Wal-Mart last night. Normally I don't shop for pet foods or treats their, but I had 12 dollars in my pocket and went cruising through the pet aisle. Then I realized at the petstore where I spent $8 dollars on some items, I still had forgotten to get 5 or 6 cans of cat food for Fred. I only picked up 2 cans of wellness that were $1.08 a piece...Very expensive.

So in the Wal-Mart I was walking around looking at canned cat food. I spotted a gold, pastle colored canned and I was not familliar with this food. I picked it up and read the ingredients: WOW!

From my Seafood and Veggie Platter:

Ingredients:
Oceanfish, Oceanfish broth,Chicken Liver Chicken, Tuna, Salmon, Ground brown rice,carrots,Guar Gum,Lecithin, Potassium Chloride, Flaxseed meal, Cranberries,.....

These are only the first few ingredients. Don't worry, I read the restsmile.

Also, they ARE abiding by the AAFCO standarDs and the food is ALS.(The can mentions both of these)

I never have seen such natural foods at Walmart!!

I bought 4 cans for 71 cents!

Edited by moderator Mon Dec 31, '12 1:48am PST

Edited by forums moderator

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Wed Oct 10, '07 1:19pm PST 
Natural Life Pet Products

The canned food looks good. It has rice in it but it's not a main ingredient.

The dry food is icky. Just chicken meal and a bunch of grains. Blech.
[notify]

Bailey

Bailey

Purred: Sat Dec 8, '07 11:44pm PST 
OK i found this topic when I was searching for some help on switching Bailey from Fancy Feast canned to a higher premium quality canned food. He's currently in transition from Nutro Naturals to Solid Gold!! And he's loving his Solid Gold so far!!

SO I found this post and happened to be near a Walmart tonight while on my weekly Petco run and I stopped in and found the Natural Life canned food and it really does have some great ingredients!! The first five are as follows for the Chicken and Seafood platter:

Chicken, chicken broth, chicken liver, turkey, ocean fish

So this seems all good, there are a few grain/filler products listed after the first 5 ...here's the whole list:

Ingredients: Chicken, chicken broth, chicken liver, turkey, ocean fish, ground rice, peas, carrots, guar gum, lecithin, potassium chloride, flaxseed meal, cranberry meal, minerals (iron amino acid chelate, zinc amino acid chelate, cobalt amino acid chelate, copper amino acid chelate, manganese amino acid chelate, sodium selenite, potassium iodide), yucca schidigera extract, vitamins (vitamin e, a, d3, b12 supplements, thiamine mononitrate, niacin, d-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, folic acid, biotin), choline chloride, calcium carbonate,carrageenan, taurine, tricalcium phosphate.

Sooo does anyone think this is actually a good brand to consider for higher quality food? All the different variations have pretty much the same breakdown of ingredients, with no bad stuff in at least the first 5 ingredients. I am working full time and a full time student right now as well, so I don't have tons of money, especially considering Bailey is already VERY spoiled...and these cans seemed to be priced pretty moderately. Sooo what do you guys think??

Here's the link again for the site: http://www.nlpp.com/cannedcatfoods.htm

Edited by author Sat Dec 8, '07 11:45pm PST

[notify]

Princess- Sophie- Florida

I rule this- kingdom!

Purred: Sun Dec 9, '07 7:24am PST 
I personally would be very afraid of buying anything that I was going to ingest at Wal Mart.
The last time I was in there I stopped by their fresh seafood case (just to look) and ALL their *fresh seafood* was from CHINA
Personally I thought that was very scary!
It's hard enough knowing that the food that is processsed here in the U.S. is safe, let alone trying to figure out what is going on over in China where Walmart seems to be doing most of their importing.
Just my opinion.

hugSophiehug
[notify]

Pancho

i ♥- cuddling!

Purred: Sun Dec 9, '07 5:58pm PST 
it's probably the best cat food available at wal mart and i would only stick to their canned varieties.
[notify]

Bailey

Bailey

Purred: Sun Dec 9, '07 8:30pm PST 
Thanks for the replies!! Well i understand what you guys are saying. However I have never purchased anything for Bailey at Walmart, including food. However my question was based more so on the ingredients I listed and the ingredients listed on their site. If you read their site, it explains all their food is completely natural ingredients, and is brought into their factory as human grade food, free of chemicals and produced in America in regions free of Mad Cow Disease. It also promises it is made without fillers, by products, chemicals or colorants. So the fact that Walmart sells it...does not really matter to me, I don't have strong views on the company or any bad personal experiences regarding them.

So opinions on Walmart aside, does this food seem like a quality, premium grade canned food? As i stated, he's on Solid Gold dry so I am uninterested in this brands dry food, only their wet canned food. Soo does anyone else have any views on the food and the ingredients listed??
[notify]

Purred: Sat Dec 29, '12 4:24pm PST 
5 years later ........ my newly adopted cat Tiger is 7 yrs old and I am transitioning him from a lifetime of dry cat food to canned. Week one I gave him Fancy Feast (as a transitional food). Then Week TWO I transitioned him to Natural Life canned food and he has been on it for 14 days now. He begs less in between his 2 daily feeds and I expect that he will drop an excess pound or two over time (big belly). This Natural Life cat food seems MUCH BETTER in quality and manufacturing than other commercial brands. I think that it is good stuff. I might change him again to a grain-free canned cat food in the future but for now Natural Life cat food is my friend.

Edited by moderator Mon Dec 31, '12 1:50am PST

Edited by forums moderator

Romeo

Purred: Sat Dec 29, '12 8:11pm PST 
My cats love Natural Life canned food. It has grains in it so I don't buy it often but it's good stuff. My Walmart also sells Newman's Own canned food for cats.
[notify]

Ramsey

Ramsey - The Bedroom Cat- Burglar

Purred: Sat Jan 5, '13 8:22pm PST 
I don't shop at Walmart and most likely never will. A personal choice on my part. The ingredient list Bailey was asking about looks okay but where is the food manufactured? We stick with the brands we *know*. We all eat Nutro Max Cat and Nutro Natural Choice. The food is manufactured in their own plants in the US. 600 quality and safety checks for each batch of food before it's released and recently they became AFIA certified. They are the only pet food company in the US to be able to attain this certification. Most of the other brands use different copackers and don't have control of the quality, safety and cleanliness of the plants so are unable to meet the strict standards of AFIA.
[notify]

Amber

I didn't do it!

Purred: Sun Jan 6, '13 2:00am PST 
When I first got Amber, I knew better than feed her dry, but the other members of my household took some transitioning to accept her current raw diet. Initially, she ate Natural Life and Newman's Own Organic which I could buy at Walmart, as well as some foods that I could get a small, local pet shop like Pinnacle. Over time, I added grain free 95% meat canned food, then partial raw, and then full raw.

I don't trust ANY commercial pet food company fully, but, and I am in the minority here, I would feed Natural Life food over lower carb options like Friskies and Fancy Feast that contain byproducts, un-named meat sources, BHT, BHA, menadione, etc.

TL;DR: I used to feed this food, it is a good mid-quality food IMO, and it is arguably the best line that can be purchased at Walmart, perhaps with the exception of certain Newman's Own flavors.
[notify]