GO!

Bald Spots

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Bjorn

Purred: Tue Jul 17, '07 8:05pm PST 
For the past few weeks, Momma has been coming home from work to find annoying clumps of black and gray fur on her clean white carpet. I love to wrestle with my big adopted sister Freya, and for all of this time Momma has figured Freya was the owner of the clumps, since she has such a thick black/gray coat and my fur is black and agouti tiger stripes. But tonight, Momma was snuggling with me and discovered several large bald spots in my black stripe down my spine. They're hard to see at first, until you part the fur and then they look pretty bad. Now she knows the fur clumps she has been finding are from my coat. There are no cuts or scrapes or irritation, just bald patches along my spine. She's worried and confused. Are the fur clumps really battle wounds from Freya Brat or am I just loosing my fur for some medical reason? I'm otherwise healthy and my Bjornery self. Has anyone else experienced a patterned fur loss like this? Should I see the vet tomorrow or should Momma just keep us separated for a while and see if the fur clumps stop showing up around the house?
[notify]

Bjorn

Purred: Wed Jul 18, '07 10:38am PST 
Momma just caught me tearing my own fur out. So, Freya is innocent.

Now, why am I tearing my fur out? Allergies? Boredom? Eno?
[notify]

Midnight Helen

Helen of- Midnight

Purred: Wed Jul 18, '07 10:42am PST 
Bjorn, I have the same problem. In fact, I have one right now between my shoulder blades that was pretty nasty for a little while. But like you, they don't seem to bother me at all. There are no scratches, bites, or anything. Strange, isn't it?? They will go away and then a few months later I'll get another one.

My mommy wonders if it might be stress related. Maybe next time your mommy takes you to the vet, they can look at them and see what they think of it. My vet really didn't have an answer for my mom. They did cultures of the hair around the bald spot and everything--negative, nothing wrong at all. I know it's soooo tempting, but try not to pull your hair out. Mommy catches me doing it sometimes too and asks me why I want to pull out my beautiful black fur.
[notify]

Bjorn

Purred: Wed Jul 18, '07 7:30pm PST 
Thank you Midnight. Momma called the vet today and the vet suspected fleas, however I have never ever been outside and it doesn't really make sense that I would have them. So, she called some other Mommas and they said it could be allergies or just itchy dry skin. One of them suggested an Aveeno bath and some cortizone cream. Momma just tried the Aveeno bath. I liked sitting in the warm, soothing water, but now I'm wet and cold and not too thrilled about it. Momma is afraid flea shampoo might be too harsh on my skin, if it's a skin irritation problem. She checked my fur and didn't see any fleas anyway. She doesn't want to use the cortizone cream because I'll just lick it off and that might not be so good for me. Momma has threatened me with a cone collar, so let's hope the Aveeno helps!
[notify]

Captain (RIP- 2006-2010)

Captain Cook

Purred: Wed Jul 18, '07 8:21pm PST 
I've got two HUGE bald spots on my neck from my collar. It was loose and just drove me nuts. Maybe you're just rubbing up against something that's irritating your skin?
[notify]

Murphy

Purred: Fri Jul 20, '07 8:22am PST 
My mom noticed a bald spot on my elbow; turned out to be ringworm (fungal infection). But mom always does her research and dad has a friend who is a vet. You could have fleas even if you never go outside. Mom could bring them in from outside, believe it or not! Also, mites are a possibility. Are you biting near your tail, or rolling on your back a lot?

You may have what is called Psychogenic Alopecia; basically it's a compulsion to groom, often found in stressed out kitties or kitties who have attachment issues. Do you get really sad when mom goes away to work?

You can read more about it here: http://www.petplace.com/cats/psychogenic-alopecia-in-cats/page1.aspx

Good luck!
[notify]

Hunter

Lazy, Lazy, Lazy

Purred: Sat Jul 21, '07 9:05am PST 
There are many different reasons for skin problems in cats. Bald patches are not typical of flea allergies, so I would concentrate elsewhere. Before just giving a steroid shot, which will help if there is inflammation, start with some diagnostics first. Have your vet perform a fungal exam to check for ringworm. Also a skin scraping to look for any mites. A metabolic blood screen to be sure this isn't some other medical problem, a thorough physical exam to look for external parasites (fleas). Psychogenic Alopecia needs to be considered, although most balding areas are on the stomach or hind legs from this disorder. Once all other possible reasons for this problem are exhausted, consider doing the injection.

Reasons for Alopecia (hair loss)
Psychogenic Alopecia
[notify]

Bjorn

Purred: Sat Jul 21, '07 4:30pm PST 
Murphy, I think you have hit the nail on the head. I do miss Momma a lot when she is gone and I rarely leave her side when she is home. She's seen me pulling my fur while grooming, so the cause of the bald spots is my mouth for sure. Hmmmm, what to do? If she quits her job she will have to adopt me out. She can't take me to work, though she would love that entirely. Does anyone know of any good kitty therapists?
[notify]

Princess- Pennelope- Prudence Fa

I want to be- alone!

Purred: Sat Jul 21, '07 5:59pm PST 
Hi everyone. One of mummies nicknames for me is baldy! I just love licking my fur off.

The vet says anxiety started it. That was when uncle Tiger came to stay for 3 months. It took ages for me to calm down.

The vet gave me some pretty blue pills to help, but I just got stoned and kept licking my fur off. Mummy took me off the pills after a few months.

I'm the happiest I have been in years but I love licking the fur off my back legs, all the way up! Check out one of the photos on my page. As I'm not in pain, not stressing and not injured mummy isn't too worried. Sometimes you just got to live and let live. You can get away with a lot when you get old.
[notify]