GO!

How soon after giving birth will a cat go into heat?

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Persephone - MIA :-(

I'm waiting for- you

Purred: Thu Apr 12, '07 8:50pm PST 
My cat had a litter only about 1 week or 1 1/2 weeks ago. The kittens were killed by a wild animal. The cat is feral except for with me. I was hoping she would have a litter of kittens and then to have her spayed and the kittens too. Well, spayed or neutered. So she was only nursing for about 2 to 3 days before the kittens were killed. There is a Tom already in the barn looking to get romantic! Isn't it a little soon?
[notify]

Sophie

The Last of the- Red Hot Mommas

Purred: Thu Apr 12, '07 8:57pm PST 
No, unfortunately, it is not too soon. I found out that a cat can go into heat while still nursing, but they told me that in Miss Kitty's case she would probably be fine because she is indoors and not around any male cats.
In your case, now that the babies are gone, she can literally go into heat any minute.
ANY chance you can get her to the vet?
[notify]

Hunter

Lazy, Lazy, Lazy

Purred: Thu Apr 12, '07 9:05pm PST 
A cat can go into heat as soon as they deliver their kittens. They can get pregnant while nursing kittens. She definitely could have gone back into heat and that's why the male s around. Please get her spayed as there are far to many kitties already alive that need homes. Besides pregnancy, getting her spayed will dramatically reduce her risk if mammary tumors and completely eliminate the chances of uterine infections or cancer.
[notify]

Sophie

Purred: Thu Apr 12, '07 9:13pm PST 
Hunter...this is probably a dumb question...but I presume that Miss Kitty can't be spayed until the kittens are 8 weeks old because she wouldn't be able to nurse them anymore?
If not...why wouldn't they do it a little earlier...like sometime after they are 4 weeks old?
[notify]

Hunter

Lazy, Lazy, Lazy

Purred: Thu Apr 12, '07 9:20pm PST 
You can start weaning the kittens at about 5-6 weeks of age. She shouldn't be spayed until the kittens are fully weaned ( at about 8 weeks).
[notify]

Sophie

Purred: Thu Apr 12, '07 9:32pm PST 
That's what I figured. So, we'll just keep out fingers crossed for no heat before May 21!!!
[notify]

Persephone - MIA :-(

I'm waiting for- you

Purred: Thu Apr 12, '07 11:27pm PST 
I do know what the risks are regarding not spaying a cat. I also know about the kittens that need homes already. We want a few cats and I think if she were to have kittens and raise them herself it would be better than getting kittens that are not hers and expect them to learn the ropes on their own. Persephone is a cat that came with the barn that came with the house we bought. I am the only one able to handle her. I want to get her spayed but I wanted her to have a litter that we would keep and care for then have her spayed. The kittens she just had were killed by something. I don't want her to have kittens just to have them killed so I am considering having her spayed before more kittens. It isn't as simple as picking her up and taking her to the vet. She is feral except for with me. I have to take my dog to the vet in the am and I will discuss Persephone's situation with them.
[notify]

Zizou- (2006-2007)

I'm not Zidane- fer Bastet's- sake!

Purred: Fri Apr 13, '07 5:40am PST 
Probably you know this but she'll go into heat soon as her milk dries up. So it'll be pretty soon. I understand you want barn cats but I'd advise you to take in ferals without caregivers rather than letting Persephone have another litter. The next litter might get killed too or get sick and die. And that way you'll help to curtail overpopulation and give a home to many ferals that need barn homes. And if you can't pick up Persephone you'll have to trap her; get somebody to help you with it. That's the only way to take ferals and unfriendliy kitties to the vet (wish there was another one..we must do it all the time..even with ferals in-taming..
[notify]

Fabulous- Ferals

Feed a- Feral!

Purred: Fri Apr 13, '07 8:51am PST 
It will be stressful for her to go to the vet because she is feral, but I think it's in her best interest and also the best interest of any kittens she may be bringing into the world if not spayed. My aunt cares for two feral cats, and when she had them neutered she had a vet-on-wheels come and neuter them. They had an operating room of sorts set up in the back of their van. But I guess those kinds of vets would mostly be in large cities. I understand that you do want barn cats. I'd recommend going to your local shelter and seeing if any feral cats are up for adoption. My local shelter kills most feral cats that come in (which is why I am currently feeding a feral colony and hoping to get them spayed and neutered if I can find a way to pay for it--there are at least 5 cats so it won't be cheap--I wish I could send these kitties to you as they would make wonderful barn cats and I don't know what's going to happen to them when I graduate college and move somewhere else because then they will have no one to feed them). But anyway, sometimes there will be feral or semi-feral cats up for adoption as outside/barn cats. I think it's worth a try even though your shelter may not adopt feral cats out at all. Good luck with your feral kitty with whatever you decide to do.

Pippin

One handsome- devil

Purred: Fri Apr 13, '07 8:54pm PST 
I am sure there are people who may hate this suggestion, but have you considered getting her in a Have-A-Heart trap to go to the vets? Maybe put some food inside it with a sedative? I was just trying to think what might make it easier for you and her.

I was so sorry to hear about your kittens frown
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2