GO!

Code words for Wheat

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Domino

Only the good- die young

Purred: Tue Apr 3, '07 8:19pm PST 
With this recall thing, mommy thinks it is important for every pet owner to know this....

Any food containing any wheat will contain wheat gluten. There is no reliable way to completely seperate the gluten from the wheat! Wheat has many "code words", or words on labeling that mean wheat. They are: modified food starch (unless it specifies corn), malt, malt flavoring, white vinegar, distilled vinegar, (basically any vinegar that does not specifically say it is apple cider, red whine, or rice), and flour not from an alternative source (i.e. rice flour, tapioca flour etc...). White flour is bleached wheat and contains wheat gluten. Mommy is deathly allergic to wheat and has become an expert on the subject.

Stay safe!
[notify]

Sophie

Little Pink- Nosies Rule!

Purred: Wed Apr 4, '07 6:57am PST 
Thank you very much Domino!

This has helped a lot. Mom is off to purchase Innova lite for us. On Monday, Nutro products were not on any recall list, and said they don't used wheat gluten. As pointed out, they do use "wheat". I don't understand any of this. Mom mixed Innova with some Nutro so we could get used to the Innova. One or two of us threw up this morning before she awoke. Out went the food! One of the boys misunderstood her and mixed the two foods in the storage container. We're hungry!!

As soon as she is finished here, off to the store for Innova, fully aware there will be a hunger strike because we won't want it.

The things parents have to do...
[notify]

Callie Jean- *Has a New- Home

Ready, Set,- POUNCE!

Purred: Wed Apr 4, '07 8:09am PST 
Thank you for the information about all the names wheat can have.

Our mom thought she was giving us a good quality food until she read the ingredients list. Here is is in order: brewer's rice, corn gluten, animal fat (where's the meat?), chicken meal (getting closer), chicken.

She couldn't believe how much grain was in the food. So she researched the cats foods and decided to try Innova for us. Mom was able to get us sample bags of the EVO and Adult Dry for us to try. PJ loved both, but I threw up the EVO. Mom thinks it's too much protein for me right now. Yes, some cats will get sick if they get too much protein from a different source when they aren't use to it. So if your mom is going to switch foods your foods ... do it slowly.

I do like the Adult Dry so last night mom started mixing it in with our old food. She hopes to have us switched in 7 to 10 days.

By the way, if you go to the Innova website (www.naturapet.com) they have a video telling what they are doing to insure the safety of the food they produce. Oh, I just looked at their website to make sure I had the right address. They redesigned it. Video is now on the home page.
[notify]

Ready, Set,- POUNCE!

Purred: Wed Apr 4, '07 8:31am PST 

Our mom thought she was giving us a good quality food until she read the ingredients list. Here is is in order: brewer's rice, corn gluten, animal fat (where's the meat?), chicken meal (getting closer), chicken.

She couldn't believe how much grain was in the food. So she researched the cats foods and decided to try Innova for us. Mom was able to get us sample bags of the EVO and Adult Dry for us to try. PJ loved both, but I threw up the EVO. Mom thinks it's too much protein for me right now. Yes, some cats will get sick if they get too much protein from a different source when they aren't use to it. So if your mom is going to switch foods your foods ... do it slowly.

I do like the Adult Dry so last night mom started mixing it in with our old food. She hopes to have us switched in 7 to 10 days.

By the way, if you go to the Innova website (www.naturapet.com) they have a video telling what they are doing to insure the safety of the food they produce. Oh, I just looked at their website to make sure I had the right address. They redesigned it. Video is now on the home page.
[notify]

Ready, Set,- POUNCE!

Purred: Wed Apr 4, '07 8:32am PST 

[notify]

PJ *DB #29

Be Unique

Purred: Wed Apr 4, '07 8:50am PST 
Sorry about the triple post. By the time I could get back here, I could edit anything. Darn fleas!
[notify]

Merlin

Celtic kitties- unite. >^. .^<

Purred: Wed Apr 4, '07 8:53am PST 
Thanks for all the wheat information. Meowmy is really worried about this food recall. She is having second thoughts about feeding us Whiskas dry food now. We love it, but she's worried that it may be bad for us in the long run so she ordered a small bag of Flint River Adult Cat food today. I can't wait to try it.
[notify]

Sassy Baby- Mew

Whatcha Mewing- At!

Purred: Wed Apr 4, '07 10:21am PST 
Ohh thankyou so much! I borrowed your post and quoted it in the dog health area as well as I don't think a lot of people realist this.
[notify]

Sophie

Little Pink- Nosies Rule!

Purred: Wed Apr 4, '07 11:10am PST 
I know the ideal way is to transition slowly, but Mom is scared to mix the Innova with our old food, Nutro.

We're eating the Innova, but not a lot and with some grumbling. But we are eating it.

Mom bought several bags at the store this morning, leaving most for others who want to change. Then she went online to order two large bags.

About online pet food orders-

We get ours from

http://petfooddirect.com/store/

Their prices are higher than some other online stores. However, because they are only about 5 miles from us, the shipping charges are very cheap!

Before ordering online, calculate the shipping charges. You may find, as we did, that the place closest to you will cost less in the long run. Remember, it's not just the price of the product, but the shipping charges as well.

Eat safe out there! This is all very frightening!

Purrs,
Sophie, Benjamin and Danny
[notify]

Domino

Only the good- die young

Purred: Wed Apr 4, '07 1:03pm PST 
Mommy didn't transition slowly in this case either. She figures a few messed up tummy's is better than possible renal failure! She switched the sactuary to Wellness Indoor Health Formula, and they seem to really like it.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2