GO!

Diarrhea in cats

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

Joey(R.I.P)

Gentle giant

Purred: Wed Mar 7, '07 1:12pm PST 
My one cat Joey is having soft stool lately. It is brown in colour, runny and smells really bad. He is 7years old and is an indoor cat. He seem to have a good appetite but I don't know if that means anything. Never had any problem with his stool until now. I just hope he isn' sick. I have been giving him these Dairy treats for cats. It is called Dairy milk drops and it has yogurt in it. One day it was juat soft in some parts of his stool and the other time it was a runny stool. I don't know if that is causing his diarrhea.

What causes diarrhea in cats? Do you think these treats in causing it? Do you think he is allergic to them? Please let me know. I am concern. Thanks!
[notify]

Hunter

Lazy, Lazy, Lazy

Purred: Wed Mar 7, '07 5:47pm PST 
Did the diarrhea start shortly after staring the treats?
Dairy can certainly cause diarrhea in cats (most of us are lactose intolerant). Since he seems to have a good appetite, I would stop the treats and see if the stool returns to normal. If the diarrhea continues for several days after you have stopped the treats, then I would recommend a visit to the vet to be sure there is nothing else going on.
You could add 1 tsp. of pureed pumpkin (not the pie filling with the spices in it...plain pumpkin) to the food once a day for several days to see if that helps.
[notify]

Tigger

The UnChosen- Chosen

Purred: Thu Mar 8, '07 4:16am PST 
Hi there,
Whenever i have a bit more than enough milk, yogurt, and fish treats, i immediatly have a diarrhea, which can last for 2 or 3 days.. but my mama knows now that whenever this happens, she should give me 1 slice of cheese (yellow and full cream, the light diet ones don't have the same effect), and it would stop!
i know it sounds a bit unbelievable but it really does work, you should give it a try wink
[notify]

Alfie

dogs have- owners, cats- have servents

Purred: Fri Mar 9, '07 6:21am PST 
i had diarrhea recently and the vet told my mum not to give me food for 24 hour and call back if it persisted
[notify]

Tigger

The UnChosen- Chosen

Purred: Sat Mar 10, '07 1:05pm PST 
Oh, we're sorry we forgot to tell you something..
When i have diarrhea my mama would only feed me dry food and water for a day.. but i have a slice of cheese instead so it's (sort of) fine with me.
[notify]

sagwa

spoiled cat

Purred: Sat Mar 10, '07 7:53pm PST 
I got the diarrhea once well maybe twice and my mommy got scared so she took me to the vets I was the only kitty to get it and it seems to happen to me like once a year ususally around spring wierd confused but mommy gives me kaopectate *sp* gives me alittle bit in this little plastic thingy and she squirts in my mouth silenced then the vet gave me some little pills it cleared it up I dont' know why I am the only one to get it I was drinking and eating just fine shrug maybe because I just like spending time with mommy wink anyways the Kaopectate ususally works just a little bit and I'm good to go *eww wrong words red face*
[notify]