GO!

Hyperthyroidism

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  
Friskie

Love to Eat!

Purred: Thu Feb 1, '07 1:08pm PST 
Does any one know about hyperthyroidism in cats?

I'm pretty sure that's what my Friskie has, and he had a blood test taken this morning, and I'll get the results tomorrow.

In the mean time, anyone have any adivce for me?
[notify]

Oliver

Oliver-My Little- Buddy

Purred: Thu Feb 1, '07 1:29pm PST 
Friskie, read the answers to Midnights questions. The title says 'hypo' but is actually 'hyper' thyroidism.

There are daily oral medications, surgery or the radiation treatment. I believe the radiation treatment is the most effective.

Sending lots of purrs your way that you'll be feeling better soon!
[notify]

Friskie

Love to Eat!

Purred: Thu Feb 1, '07 3:03pm PST 
Thanks, got it.

Is the radiation treatment just for hyperthyroidism caused by malignant tumors? Or is the the overall treatment for hyper. regardless?

I'm so confused. Thanks for bumping it for me.

Is renal failure inevitable? Heart failure?
[notify]

Oliver

Oliver-My Little- Buddy

Purred: Thu Feb 1, '07 3:34pm PST 
I'm pretty sure that all of the treatments, surgery, meds (Tapazole), and radiation treatment are for hyperthyroidism regardless of whether it is caused by a tumor or whatever. But try not to 'put the cart before the horse'. Bloodwork first, options second. We can drive ourselves nuts by guessing what are kitties have or don't have. The bottom line is that it's a treatable thing and that's goodbig grin

I'm not sure that renal failure is inevitable. Oliver's big sister was diagnosed with it at 16.5 yrs and lived with it for 2.5 yrs with lots of supportive care. She went to the Bridge on Jan 18, 2006 and is waiting for all of us. What I do think is that our animals that live to old age have the potential for more health issues, alot like people. As we all age our joints ache, we need glasses to read, our hearing is not so sharp and our organs such as kidneys, prostate, etc begin to not function as they did when we were young. What did not give us indigestion at 20 (pizza for every meal) will give us major heartburn if we tried that diet at 50. I think it's the natural progression of life.

Wellness checks including bloodwork for our older pets are important because issues can be addressed early. If something seems 'differerent' about our pets, they just don't seem to be acting the same, or eating as well, what harm is it to visit the vet? I always go by what my gut tells me and it usually screams pretty loud when something just doesn't seem 'quite right'. You're doing a good thing by getting the thyroid checked. If you just got a clearance on the kidneys then don't worry about renal failure. How old is Friskie?

Please keep us posted. Friskie is in our thoughts

Oliver's Mom, Val
[notify]

Friskie

Love to Eat!

Purred: Thu Feb 1, '07 3:58pm PST 
Friskie is 9 years. In the right age range.

He has asthma, and has been on this new medication that made him absolutely CRAZY. I was told to bump the dosage down, and that that would help...but no luck.

In the last 2 weeks, he has dumped my trash can (in the house) over 15 times, and got nasty food everywhere, even when I'm home, or if I've hidden the trash can.

My dog has a bone with stuff inside of it, and Friskie managed to GET IT ALL OUT FROM THE INSIDE! He eats the dogs food, any human food, trash, he just isn't the same cat. He isn't MY cat.

So while I know I need to wait until I get the official results, I can't help but think about the future, and what might happen to him.

So I will keep you posted. I SHOULD get results tomorrow morning, hopefully if my vet is actually on top of things for once, but I doubt it.

Thanks again smile
[notify]

Spice- (1988-May- 27, 2005)

And I resent the- accusation...

Purred: Thu Feb 1, '07 4:35pm PST 
See my longer post on Midnight's thread.
Spice was throwing up a lot before her thyroid diagnosis...trying to eat and could not keep it down. No tumors or any other trouble.

As for kidney failure, I don't think that happens as a result of hyperthyroid disease...the only cause and effect I would draw is that if you take care of the thyroid trouble then the cat will continue to live a good quality life for a few more years...and, as a result of those extra years, other diseases of old age are inevitable. Kidney failure is (someone correct me if I'm wrong) simply the most common thing that will go wrong in older cats. After Spice's diagnosis for kidney trouble we consoled ourselves with the knowledge that if a cat is lucky enough to live a long, full life then ultimately the kidneys will start to go. Just like things start to go in older people.

I will repeat my wholehearted endorsement for Radiocat.
Good luck.
[notify]

Friskie

Love to Eat!

Purred: Thu Feb 1, '07 4:44pm PST 
Thanks for the help.

I did read an article about the symptoms of hypothy., and what to look for, and what secondary symptoms occur, such as kidney and heart failure.

I felt his glands in his neck, and they do feel odd, a bit swollen, just like the article said.

Also, my vet said there is a bare spot on his belly???!! I have no idea what that's about, but he had beren acting strange for a while now.

I hope that if it is in fact this disease, that I caught it early enough, and that treatment will be successful.

I am so scared for him, thanks for all your support. Keep it coming smile
[notify]

Izzie

When in doubt,- HIDE!

Purred: Thu Feb 1, '07 5:35pm PST 
Don't worry too much before the blood results come back. I know it's hard, but the good thing is that hyperthyroidism is treated and managed fairly well. Cats usually are managed on either the oral medication or the radioactive iodine treatment. Both work well. The differences are all in the dosing. The iodine treatment requires some time away from home and is ~ $1000 (depending on the area of the country you are in), but is almost always a "final" cure. The oral meds are a life-long daily (or twice daily) dosing and can get expensive over the course of a cat's life. So, it's really a decision between cost now and cost later, and how well the kitten does with getting pills (or sometimes tuna-flavored liquid) everyday.
Some vets still do a surgical procedure to remove the thyroid glands, but there is a risk of removing the parathyroid glands that regulate calcium in the body. I personally would rather go with the iodine or oral meds.
As far as the iodine treatment, it's not just for malignant cancers. Many hyperthyroid cats have what we call adenomas, that cause the dysfunction, but they aren't the kind of tumors that spread to essential organs, so no worries.wink
Here's a fairly good site to explain some of this: http://www.avmi.net/NewFiles/Hyperthyroidism/Hyperthyroidism.html
Let me know if you need anything else. I'll be thinking of you! I'll cross my fingers about your test results and let us know how it goes!kitty
[notify]

Friskie

Love to Eat!

Purred: Thu Feb 1, '07 10:50pm PST 
Thank you kitty Made me cry a little..

Since I brought Friskie home from the vet, he hasn't been his regular, not regular self, if that makes sense.

He hasn't acted ravenous and crazy since we got home...usually he's meowing hysterically, eating the dog food, etc. He's quiet, and wouldn't come up on the bed with me..?? shrug So, I'm worried.

I'm SO nervous for the test results. I still don't truelly understand what it's all about.

Thanks for all your help. I will keep you posted. smile hugcry
[notify]

Heidi ~ In- Loving- Memory

Forever in- Loving Memory

Purred: Fri Feb 2, '07 1:46am PST 
Hi:
I was diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism at age 11.5. Just for the record, one of the first things our Vet told Mom, is that Thyroid glands are almost never malignant, not to say it can't happen, but, it's extremely rare.
I was an easy (very) Cat to give medication to, and my Mom just couldn't afford the radioactive Iodine, plus, I think I would have hated being away from home that long, I would have been so stressed. I did well on medication for about 3 years, and had a wonderful quality of life. Hyperthyroidism is manageable, and treatable. The radio iodine, is the treatment of choice for many, but not all Cats, and is actually a cure, rather than a control.
Your Mom will work with your Vet and he'll help her choose the best options for both of you.
Cat's with Hyperthyroidism can show symptoms of heart problems, because of the overactive Thyroid glands. Once that is brought under control, these symptoms may disappear, mine did.
As for the kidneys, one thing at a time, again, your Vet will check your kidney function and let your Mom know how that looks. I don't think Hyperthyroidism and Kidney failure go hand in hand, it's just that they are both problems most often seen in Senior Cats, so, yes, you can have both. My kidneys were just find, until the very end.
My Mom says to tell your Mom to educate herself about the condition. That's one of the first things that my Vet suggested that Mom do. It will not only reassure her that this condition is treatable, it will help her to be a more informed and proactive partner in your care!
Best of Luck and many Huggs and Prayers kittykitty
Heidi
[notify]

(Page 1 of 6: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6