GO!

Where to feed so my pal doesn't eat my food!

Discuss ways to improve the quality of your cat's life and longevity through proper nutrition; a place for all of your questions and answers about feeding your kitty!

Please keep discussions fun, friendly, and helpful at all times. Non-informative posts criticizing a particular brand or another poster's choice of food are not allowed in this Forum. References to any brand of food as "junk," "garbage," or other harsh names will be removed.

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Moe (Moses)

Moe the Cat, Moe- the Cat, He's so- fast!

Purred: Mon Nov 27, '06 4:06pm PST 
My mama is starting to feed the dog on a schedule. If get's hungry he will eat our food. Any suggestions on where to feed me and my sister so Ruffian doesn't eat our food?

Meows and Purrs,
Moe
[notify]

Lucky Boo,- Loved &- Missed

Mommy's Guardian- Angel

Purred: Mon Nov 27, '06 4:50pm PST 
Holy Catness! You're a sibling of the great Chi Eater? (my dog sister Duchess told me tales of a Ruffian over at Dogster who almost ate a Chi once...)

Purrhaps your Mommy could put your food up somewhere high that you can reach but that Ruffian can't reach? Like maybe up on a counter or shelf or tabletop somewhere?

Jamin

Man on the Move

Purred: Mon Nov 27, '06 5:28pm PST 
Mommy feeds us in the "cat room" its really the office but its a place only we can get. Mom put a little cat hole in the bottom of the door so we can get in and out but the dogs cannot. We don't have a flap on ours because Smitty is to big of a wimp to go thru it. If you don't have a room you could do this too then what mom did in the old house was she took a half a piece of plywood and put it on hinges - that way the humans did not have to have the door closed, but it was high enough the dogs could not get in, and she put the cat hole in that. Then she painted it to match the walls so it looked all pretty. It is really nice having a private place to get away from the dogs AND they can't get your food. Good Luck
[notify]

Jake

The World: your- oyster, my- napping space

Purred: Mon Nov 27, '06 5:40pm PST 
There's not much I can add to those other great ideas, but the one thing I can say is, if you're not so clever with handy-fix-it stuff, you could go the cheap, quick, and easy route and get a baby gate for the door to a room you decide on. It's not as pretty looking as the thing that was described with holes and painting and the whole shabingy, but boy it sure is quick and you don't have to pick up a single tool! It all depends on the size, energy level, and determination of your dog of course, but for the most part us kitties are more than willing (and able) to jump obstacles on a regular basis, where a dog might get stumped by the gate. Ours did.

Moe (Moses)

Moe the Cat, Moe- the Cat, He's so- fast!

Purred: Tue Nov 28, '06 6:44am PST 
MOL Lucky Boo! Yes, my sibling is the famed Chi Eater! But neither you nor your dog sis have anything to worry about! *wink*

Jamin, unfortunetly we live in an apt so cutting holes is out of the question! But I'll keep that in mind for when we get a house! Thanks!

Jake, the baby gate might work!
Thank guys!
[notify]

Matilda

Did you say- Cream Cheese?!?

Purred: Tue Nov 28, '06 11:32am PST 
When we got Matilda (and then Binks), my cat Abbie, was on a special kidney diet and was not allowed to eat their kitten food. Because of arthritis and old age, she could no longer jump very high, so I put the kittens food up on a high table. It worked really well, except for when one of the kitties knocked their food bowls down.
[notify]

DeeJay

Serve me and all- shall be well!

Purred: Tue Nov 28, '06 6:20pm PST 
My grandpa has outside cats and to keep the racoons out of their food he made a pen with just an opening big enough for his biggest cat, that way they can eat and the racoons can't. For us mommy puts our food either up high where the dogs can't get it or puts it on the other side of the baby gate the dogs can't get to it.
[notify]

Ushi

Dog slobber is- my styling aid.

Purred: Wed Nov 29, '06 9:24am PST 
Alas - I too have resorted to giving the cats a table. Tohbi was eating all the food he could reach. I live alone, so it was no big deal. But I miss my table.
[notify]

Stella

Stella- Felinis--Queen- of All Kitties!

Purred: Wed Nov 29, '06 9:19pm PST 
Hi, it's Stella. My person feeds me on a high stool thingy that she got to sit at the counter. Delyte is not very energetic and cannot jump this high--or actually he can but he is afraid to jump on such a small spot when he is so big. So Delyte can't eat my food, but I can eat his! The strangest thing is that Delyte is supposed to eat Purina NF for his kidneys, but I like it better than kitten food or any of the regular adult foods. It's low in protein so I really shouldn't fill myself up with it.
[notify]

Hunter

Lazy, Lazy, Lazy

Purred: Thu Nov 30, '06 10:00am PST 
I know several people that feed their cats on top of the cat tree. They get a very tall scratching post and use one of the levels for feeding the cats. Seems to work out well, and then you can have your table backsmile
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2