GO!

Advice/Thoughts on HCM

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Lucy

I love Lucy, of- course!!

Purred: Sun Jul 30, '06 9:23pm PST 
Hi, mommy thought I would like a brother, and she found my REAL brother who is up for adoption. We really want to welcome him into our home, the breeder told us he is HCM positive, although a mild case. Mommy did some research and found it's kind of a crap shoot, but wondered if anyone has thoughts or experiences with this....i.e. whether adopting this guy would lead to a heartbroken mommy and me.
[notify]

Arthur (Miss- You!- '93-'09)

Bucket of Fuzz

Purred: Sun Jul 30, '06 9:45pm PST 
I've never dealt with HCM but I have to think that even if his life is short, you might be glad to know that you made it the best possible for him. Did they mention what his prognosis is, or an idea of how expensive taking care of him would be? Those are definitely important things to consider, too.

Isn't HCM hereditary? If you haven't already, you might want to get checked for it.

Good luck! We'll be purring for your brother!

Lucy

Purred: Sun Jul 30, '06 11:23pm PST 
purrs, thanks Arthur
mommy says I should get tested, and we think we do want to give my brother a good life. Any other thoughts by anyone would be appreciated!
Lucy
[notify]

George- In Loving- Memory

My beloved- George

Purred: Tue Aug 1, '06 10:18am PST 
Hi. I had HCM. I only lived to be 3 years old, but it was a great life. My Mom loved me so much and took very good care of me. I was on atenolol and had eccocardiograms (I even had one a few days before I passed) but when it was my time to go to the bridge, it was my time. Whatever happens, it was in God's hands. Good luck, keep us posted.
[notify]

Cupid

Love Mooch!

Purred: Tue Aug 1, '06 3:48pm PST 
Cats with HCM only live to be about 3 years old. If you think you can handle that, then there's no harm in adopting your brother! It would be sad for all of you when he passes, but you can make the most of your time with him. I hope that YOU are healthy! My father had HCM also.
[notify]

Lucy

Purred: Wed Sep 6, '06 10:02pm PST 
Well, the update is....my brother is now living with us and we're very happy furry friends at this household!! We love Hobbes, he can be seen on my page under my family. So far so good, mommy has asked lots of advice from vets and breeders and it could be that my big brother *might* have a slight case....in other words it's not definite....he will be tested for it soon a second and if needed third time. But, so far we couldn't be happier! Thanks for the advice and purrs....
Love, Lucy and her big brother Hobbes!!
[notify]

Arthur (Miss- You!- '93-'09)

Bucket of Fuzz

Purred: Wed Sep 6, '06 10:43pm PST 
Congratulations on the family reunion! smile

We'll still be purring for Hobbes and your family! Keep us posted!

Hunter

Lazy, Lazy, Lazy

Purred: Thu Sep 7, '06 9:33am PST 
Congrats!! keep us updated on the outcomes of his tests.
[notify]

Cheyanne

♥ Simbas Lucky- Wife! ♥

Purred: Fri Sep 8, '06 12:25pm PST 
Catgrats!! We'll be purrin for yas!!
[notify]

Emmett McGee- 4/15/94- 9/3/08

Outta My Way.

Purred: Fri Sep 8, '06 5:31pm PST 
My purrrrrrrrrrrrs to you. Three years...eight... eleven..one... twenty...we don't have any guarantees for anyone -- how incredibly kind of you to welcome this kitty that you know is going to have less time. It's the quality that counts and you are so wonderful to recognize that and still be willing to give him that.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3