GO!

I'm not adjusting...

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Ling

Hmmmmm?

Purred: Sat Jun 3, '06 5:01pm PST 
Mom recently got married, and we moved into a new apartment with her new family. Taka (my friend) and I are still the only cats, but we're not allowed in the bedroom because our new dad is allergic to us. Since I was a kitten I've always been allowed to sleep in Mom's bed, but now I can't even go in the bedroom. I spend at least half an hour every night and morning crying at the door. Taka has adjusted quite well, but I stay on edge all the time.

Since I can't go in the bedroom, does anybody know anything my family can do that will help me adjust to my new lifestyle? It's already been 2 months, and I'm not much happier than when we moved. I feel like I'm not as loved because I don't get as much cuddle time, even though my family plays with me every day.
[notify]

Sophie

Little Pink- Nosies Rule!

Purred: Sat Jun 3, '06 6:04pm PST 
Perhaps your Mom could give you something of hers to sleep with. It would have her scent and maybe that'll help.

Good luck and I'll be purring for you!
[notify]

Jordan

Devilish- Darling!

Purred: Sat Jun 3, '06 6:51pm PST 
Hi Ling,

Sorry to be so honest but its NOT YOU that needs helping it your new dad, his the one with the cat allergy.

There is a lot of things that can be done for humans to have cat allergies so why doesnt you mum suggest he speak with the pharamcy about antihistamines to start with and if that doesnt work then he should have anti allergy shots to desensitise him.

My mum says that if my dad had this problem and moved on in then he would have to be the one sitting outside the door as I was here first.

Good luck.
[notify]

Darvalo

Unkie Darv

Purred: Sat Jun 3, '06 11:55pm PST 
You may not like to hear this, but your mum could start to give you regular baths to help your new dad not be so allergic to you. What makes most people allergic is the stuff in your spit that you put on your fur when you groom. I don't know how you feel about baths, but my friends Karma and Artemis get baths regularly to help their daddy out. They started getting baths right from when they were kittens though, so it was easier to get used to.

Also, mum can see what sorts of cuddly beds you might like, or perhaps your own little tent. One of my cousins here and Grandma's loves sleeping in HER tent and won't let anyone else in it. Perhaps having your own special space will help... with something of mummy's in it, of course.
[notify]

Rose Carter

Life is Good

Purred: Sun Jun 4, '06 12:37pm PST 
Ling,
So sorry you and your Mommy are having such a difficult time. Sounds like she loves you very much and wants you to be happy. Good Mommy. There have been some excellent suggestions made. I like that your Mom could give you one of her night gowns to sleep with, and you may be getting a nice little kitty bed or tent! Lucky you. Hope you adjust soon. Much love and prayers.
Rose Carter
[notify]

Orca The- Killer- Kitten

It's a tux thing

Purred: Sun Jun 4, '06 8:22pm PST 
How bad is your dad's allergy? Can he be around you? pet you? Does he have a reaction if your in his face? Do you have a certain spot on the bed you like to sleep like near your mom? Some people will tell you that it is the spit that you have allergies to, but I have been told it is the dander. If your dad is able to tolerate you near his face or nearby, I would say to allow you in the bedroom. Maybe make sure you are not that close to dad on the bed and have them change the sheets or clear it of any fur daily. My mom is allergic to cats too and I sleep on the bed sometimes right next to her. Siamese also seem to be one the worst for someone with allergies. Mom use to take shots when she was younger because she had a bluepoint. When she stopped the shots she was only able to be around him for short period time. One cat that my dad had was not allowed to even be in the bedroom because mom's reaction was a asthma attack (the only time she ever had one) and everything had to be cleaned daily. She couldn't even be near the cat for more then a few min. Mom doesn't have any problem with me. I lick her and sometime sleep near her face (she calls me her hypo-allergenic kitty). She thinks it is because I am a mix breed with no siamese. The only time she has a problem is when I shed too much and it is not vaccumed up right away or if she touches me when I am wet. So I would say it all depends on what type of reaction your dad is having with you. If it is minor like a stuffy nose or something but you don't seem to be next to him on the bed I would say they may want to reconsider you being banned from the bedroom. If it is something more serious like a asthma attack then there is a very good reason. Mom also got us cat caves you can see them on my caster page that are really cool and comfy beds that I like to spend my evenings in sometime. Mom was not sure I would go for it at first because I don't normally like cat beds. But I love it.
[notify]

Sweetie- (1996-2008)

An angel in- disguise

Purred: Sun Jun 4, '06 8:31pm PST 
Thank you Sophie, Darvalo, Rose & Orca for your friendly, helpful posts.

Wishing the best for you Ling.
[notify]

Ling

Hmmmmm?

Purred: Mon Jun 5, '06 4:53pm PST 
Thanks for all your great responses!

To answer the question a few of you posted: my Dad has VERY bad allergies. He has two different treatments he does for them, which is enough to make him comfortable being in the house, but he can't have them on his bed or near his clothes, because he won't be able to breathe anymore. It's not really asthma, it's just that his nose and throat close. So I still won't be allowed on the bed. And we've tried baths; in fact, we take baths regularly. We also have air purifiers to keep dander out of the air.

But mom is pretty excited about the enthusiastic endorsement of kitty beds! My Grandma just recommended that when she visited this weekend. I haven't enjoyed a bed in the past, but I never had one that was enclosed. Mom is looking into it!

Also, Mom noticed that I always curl up and sleep on the laundry when it's on the floor, so she's thinking the idea of a thing that has her smell might help too.

Thanks for your concern! I'll let you know how things go.
[notify]

Sophie

Little Pink- Nosies Rule!

Purred: Mon Jun 5, '06 4:58pm PST 
Yes, please do.
I think it's wonderful your new Dad is doing everything he can to control his allergies. He deserves a rosette!!!
[notify]

Marie - Defender of the Empire

Ramses' warrior- princess!

Purred: Mon Jun 5, '06 5:48pm PST 
Sorry, I don't have any advice as good as what's been offered here.

I just wanted to say that your daddy is an amazing man, he loves you so much to keep you despite his allergies!
[notify]

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3