RECIPE for Broth, Rich with Glucosamine & Chondroitin

Morgana - forever my- soul

Little Rascally- Princess

Purred: Tue May 9, '06 10:04am PST 
Lots of pets have emailed me asking for my Mom's soup broth recipe since it's very rich in glucosamine & chondroitin which many have found helpful for arthritis & old joints. So Mom asked me to post the recipe so other older pets could benefit too. Well, imagine how important I felt that Mom asked me & not Mozza to post this. Ha, Mozza! Mom must think I'm more responsible than you!! Nyaah-nyaah!

Here's her recipe. She told me to add a VERY important reminder. Don't add onions OR garlic to this broth. Both can cause Heinz body anemia in cats & dogs!!
The richest source of glucosamine & chondroitin is in the cartilage & gristle around joints. But having meat on the bones sure adds to the flavour of the broth. Your mom can use any type of RAW bones she wants or finds - Chicken neck & back is good but the best part (if your mom isn't the squeamish sort) is leg & feet - the part of the leg with no feathers. Oxtail pieces (actually just beef tail), bare pork spare-ribs, lamb bones, anything that's got joints & cartilage in it are all good. Oxtail makes a particularly tasty broth but Mom normally uses it for herself. Basically, any meaty bones where the broth gels when cool is full of those 2 goodies for our joints.

Rinse the bones in cool water to remove any dirt or hair (just in case), put in a large soup pot & cover with cool water & bring to a simmer. To 1 gallon of water used, add 1 teaspoon of salt & 2 tablespoons of vinegar. The salt draws out the flavour & in that concentration, is good for us. The vinegar leaches valuable minerals out of the bones so the dissolve in the broth. It won't taste the least bit sour either.

Your mom can skim the foam off if she wants to but it's not necessary to. Mom says the foam is just protein from the meat the dissolved in the water. She leaves it for us & we like it. You don't even notice it after a few hours of simmering.

So that's all there is to it. Mom simmers it (NOT a rolling boil) from 4-6 hours. The cartilage & gristle will actually dissolve or almost dissolve so that's what makes it gel. If there's too much fat on top, your mom can skim some of it off. It depends on whether you're an active trim dog or need to lose a bit of weight.

Hope you like it as much as we do. Mom gets lazy in summer & rarely makes it. She says it makes the house too hot but I think she's just lazy. Remember, the thicker the gel when cool, the more those 2 goodies it contains.

Heidi- Gone but not- forgotten

I'm old, I can- do what I want.

Purred: Fri May 19, '06 1:46pm PST 
Sounds good, but my guardian is a vegetarian and I'm not sure she'd be able to handle that. I do get Glucosamine/Chondroitin supplements.

Mitzi

Surviving cancer- for: 9 weeks

Purred: Fri May 19, '06 2:11pm PST 
Thank you Morgana for sharing your mom's recipe! It sounds really delicious and I hope mom will be motivated enough to make it for me. *purrs*