GO!

HELP! IS SPINACH POISONOUS TO CATS????

This forum is for cat lovers seeking everyday advice and suggestions on health-related issues. Remember, however, that advice on a public forum simply can't be a substitute for proper medical attention. Only your vet can say assuredly what is best for your cat.

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Vixen

I am Vizzle, fo'- shizzle.

Purred: Tue Apr 25, '06 5:26pm PST 
My cat has been very sick as of late (had to receive a blood transfusion last weekend because she was extremely anemic), but she seems to be on the mend...she is doing so well today, that she was even begging for food from us at supper time. I gave her a few spinach leaves, as I have often done in the past..she loves them. After supper, I started to worry...maybe it wasn't such a good idea, I began to think. I looked up on the web and saw that SPINACH IS CONSIDERED POISONOUS FOR CATS!!! Is this right???? I noticed that a few people on here feed their cats spinach...so is it okay??? Please, somebody help me figure this out!!! I'm supposed to hear from the vet tonight (went for a blood test this afternoon, and Vixen's levels are up, which is good)...I will ask him about it, but I just wanted to know if there was cause for concern...I AM PANICKING!!!
[notify]

Tiek

Eye have a- singular point- of view

Purred: Tue Apr 25, '06 6:15pm PST 
As far as we know, spinach is not poisonous to cats. We've had cats that ate brussels sprouts, broccoli, spinach--they seem to love the "high in iron, tastes like blood" flavor of them all. Cats generally won't eat anything that isn't good for them, they are a pretty good judge of "bad."
Good luck with your kitty.
[notify]

Winston

Purred: Sat Apr 29, '06 8:27am PST 
I'm not 100% sure of this response, so take it with a grain of salt, but: I've never heard of spinach being harmful to cats. In fact (if I remember correctly) it's a common ingredient for people who blend their own cat food, because it's a good source of vitamins & such.
[notify]

Tigga- (1996-2013)

The Chemist

Purred: Sat Apr 29, '06 11:33am PST 
I have looked at several lists of 'human foods poisonous to cats' including this one
http://www.hsus.org/ace/11796
I haven't seen spinach mentioned on any :0)
[notify]

Carmen- Louise

All hail the- Queen!

Purred: Sun Apr 30, '06 6:20pm PST 
I've checked many different reference books at work and have found no indication that spinach is bad for cats. Carmen and Calvin love to eat it and they seem to keep it down (they tend to vomit cat grass). Dexter, of course, does not prefer spinach (or anything else that may be healthy).
[notify]

Chloe

ALL BIRDS, FISH,- & RODENTS MUST- DIE!

Purred: Sun Apr 30, '06 6:51pm PST 
I checked on a few sites, and haven't found anything that says spinach is poisonous to cats.
[notify]

Selket

Fiend #1.

Purred: Mon May 1, '06 6:51pm PST 
Oh, no...it can't be. I love my greens and the bit of spinach in the salad sure hasn't hurt any.
We have never heard/seen spinach mentioned on any lists of things toxic for cats...but don't go eating it all day!
[notify]

Cletus - Smith (One- BAD Kitty)

Bad To- The Bone-

Purred: Mon May 1, '06 8:27pm PST 
With all due respect, one would think if you were really in that much of a state of panic (as you said) that you would just call your vet & ask them about your concerns instead of waiting to 'hear back from them later'. Also, no - spinach is not dangerous for kitties to eat.
[notify]

Violet *I've been adopted!*

Spay your- critter -- prevent a- litter!

Purred: Mon May 1, '06 8:39pm PST 
Nah. If it was, I'd be dead.
[notify]

Ray

Ray of Light

Purred: Wed May 3, '06 4:54am PST 
me too

Ray (aka Popeye)
[notify]

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3